1950 Pontiac Chieftain questions

Guest 50 Pontiac Chieftain

Guest 50 Pontiac Chieftain

I recently (this weekend) bought a 1950 Pontiac Chieftain. It has a straight 8 with the hydro-matic. I would like to keep the car as original as possible, however the previous owner has already converted it to 12v. They also did a paint job, but neglected to remove the tape after painting. I have all the trim/badges and the interior is good. Only needs the headliner replaced. Can someone help me with the following numbers?

Style No- 50 2569D

Body No- 13637

Trim No- 71

Paint No- 00

The 50 tells you the year, 25 tells you it has 6 cylinders (it would be 27 for an 8 cylinder), 69 tells you it is a 4 door sedan.  I'm not sure but the D probably means it is a Chieftain Deluxe.   Body number is sequential but my information does not say where they started.

The 50 tells you the year, 25 tells you it has 6 cylinders (it would be 27 for an 8 cylinder), 69 tells you it is a 4 door sedan.  I'm not sure but the D probably means it is a Chieftain Deluxe.   Body number is sequential but my information does not say where they started.

You are correct, D = Deluxe

• 1 month later...
Guest PontiacEight

Just to make a correction to the first reply. The 25 does not denote it was a 6 cylinder car. The 2569D shows it was a 4 door sedan deluxe. Both the sixes and eights used prefix 25 - the 69D indicates the body style. The engine size is not specified on the body tag. Only on the serial number.

All cars from 1949-1953 used prefix 25, this continued through 1954, however the Star Chief's used prefix 28 staring in 1954.

I have a 1951 and a 1952, both are 2569, one is a deluxe, the other is not. Both are factory straight eight cars.

If you look at the second characater of your serial number (located on the drivers A pillar), that will tell you if it was a straight eight or straight six car (6 or 8), the 4th character S or H denotes if it was a manual or hydramatic transmission.

Also, as pontiac1953 pointed out - 00 or "5000" indicates the car was black, and most likely came with Carteret red wheels from the factory.

Dave

Edited by PontiacEight (see edit history)