teves brake system

Buick City

I have a 1989 reatta,that the brakes were working great when I parked it for about 3 weeks !  I went to move it the other day,and when I went to stop I had no brakes! I know the fluid was at the proper level when I last used it ,but when I looked at it ,it had filled up way past where it should it should be (almost to the top) I removed the excess fluid (it almost filled a spray can plastic top),and tried to pump up the 25 times,but the pedal was hard and there was no change! I am thinking something let loose in the accmulater!     What do u think?     There was no fluid on the pressure switch connection!  The pump is running all the time and the fluid level is not changing! Anyone had a problem like this?

Sounds like the pump is not turnning on. When you start, the pump pressurizes the accumulator and that lowers the level in the resovoir.

ps "but the pedal was hard" Hard pedal means no power assist and not necessarily no brakes.

Start by jumpering 12V directly to the pump to verify that the pump works.

If the pump works then most likely you have a bad relay or bad pressure switch.

There are 2 relays on the center of the firewall,  switch the relay and that will verify if the relay is good or bad.

Pull the electrical connection on the end of the pressure switch  and if it is moist the seals have failed inside allowing brake fluid into the switches electronics and it will need replacement.

Guest Corvanti

I "got lucky" when my Reatta had a similar problem - red brake light on and very hard pedal. i cleaned the connector with electrical contact spray, and all was well... :)

Everything is good again ! I tried another accumilater  -no change-    Put another pressure switch on and that fixed problem! I still don't know what would cause the fluid level to rise to the very top of the resivor,when the car was not driven ! (must have emptied the accumilater)   at least its working good now! THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

You are correct about the fluid level.

The marking on the side of the reservoir is the "full" point with the system DISCHARGED.   This means that whatever volumn the accumulator is holding is back in the reservoir.  

If the reservoir is filled under the wrong conditions,  the reservoir may overflow when the car is parked overnight and the system looses it charge.