WTB/WTT: for rear section/body of touring car or speedster seat of some sort (hopefully in Ohio)

Hi- I am building from the ground up a speedster in the spirit of the early vanderbilt cup cars, but with more modern components. I am hand building a body for it. Unfortunately, I'm no coach builder so I need to start with a little more than a bare piece of sheet metal.

I am hoping to find the rear section of a touring car to help me in making a seat for the car..... or might be interested in some sort of larger early seat that would work.

This is a low budget build, so please keep in mind if you might have any thing I could use. I don't mind cast-offs and surely don't expect too much in the way of condition.The closer to Ohio the better. I have a few things I could trade on, but not a bunch.

If you have anything that might work for my needs, please let me know. Thanks: hotrodderguy@yahoo.com

Most touring car rear sections would require a lot of modification. They are quite long; and generally have the provision for doors, and rear wheel wells.. A better bet is something like a Fire truck front seat. They often used a seat like you are looking for well in to the twenties, while automotive practice had started including doors on most bodies from about 1912 onwards.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

First of all, there is a section in this forum devoted to speedsters. You definitely want to read the posts in that section.

Second, speedsters usually had bucket seats (see pictures of Mercer Raceabouts and Stutz Bearcats). And rear seat section is a bench seat,probably not a good model for you.

Third: a great way to view models for speedster parts is to check out Model T speedster catalogs. You can build an entire car out the reproduction parts offered. You can buy a set of metal seat buckets and then tailor them to your own specifications. Same with the gas tank.

Between the AACA speedster forum and the T catalogs, you'll have all you need.

Good luck..

Thanks fellas. I'd prefer the bench style over the single buckets given the choice. I also intend to fully modify the rear section whatever it may be to work. Cutting and welding and general fab are no problem, but planishing hammer, english wheel, etc are out of my league. Unfortunately, most of the model T speedster stuff will not work for me due to size. The wheelbase on this project is 131" and based on a 1932 1.5ton truck chassis. Hence the desired use of the larger parts for proper proportions. Thanks.