55 New Carpet

New carpet from SMS. This is what the consensus agreed(including SMS) is the original style and color. It is a vast improvement over the faded replacement loop the car came with. And there was enough left over to make a set of mats. 

Two items:

1-While I have been very impressed with their products, patience is an SMS requirement. Several months lead time is probably the case.

2-Quite a bit of cutting and trimming is needed for a good fit. Couldn't understand why the carpet was bound when most of the binding was cut off for a proper fit. In the end very little of the binding shows.

None the less I am very happy with the finished product.

post-97046-0-85229000-1432403406_thumb.jpost-97046-0-38479200-1432403421_thumb.jpost-97046-0-86591300-1432403430_thumb.j

Looks good Paul!  It is better to do some trimming than have a marginal fit (like my last set from ACC) and with some additional shrinkage over 3 years is tented to get under the sill plates :(

Try tucking the 'tongue' over the tunnel in the back seat... I don't know what is 'correct', but on one of mine with power seat it catches if not tucked.

Thanks Willie and James. Will have to check for carpet tongue/seat interference. I used double sided carpet tape sparingly.  The front tunnel came a little lumpy but I have seen quite a few pretty nice cars with lumpy tunnels and having ridden in cars of this era when they weren't that old, I seem to remember it that way

Buick Carpets:  for my 1958 Buick Super, I just recently did a complete floorboard restoration, cleaning rust, treating rust, painting with POR Rust Preventive and finished with POR bed-liner.  Luckily I did not have but several small holes in the front (L&R) floorboards (floor pans).  I ordered new black carpets from RockAuto.com because they had carpets with the two holes already made for the base of the accelerator pedal, and one hole for the headlight dimmer.  I had to make one hole for the radio changer and that was harder than I was prepared for.  The carpets came from ACC and fit almost perfectly in the front floorboards, but did not fit at all for the back seat floorboards.  To my shock, ACC reuested my old rear seat carpets and custom made a rear carpet piece to fit around those 4-dr-hdtop pillar posts.  This is the first ever carpet reinstall for me and after a lot of back-and-forth with Rock Auto and ACC I do have nice carpets.  I still have to trim out some of the padding so the door sill plates can be reinstalled

properly but considering where I started I'm 98% back to original. 

**My other topic on the gas sending unit rebuild for the 2nd time will be continued in the days to come.