Keep it Stock?

Guest rsteere

Wow! If you are trying to start a debate or piss someone off, you are going the right direction. This topic has driven a wedge between Buick owners for years. If you rememeber it wasn't that long ago that a modified class was set up and acknowledged at the National level.

Good Luck, Randy

Randy, you have to look at the post and have just a bit of levity.

Thank you, thank you very much Keith.

Randy, I wasn't  trying to prompt a debate or piss anyone off, merely trying to keep the P/M forum lively with a bit of humor. But if anyone would like to start a debate, have at it, in you own thread.  I'll certainly defend the Modified Division or any other division that might bring more members to the club and perhaps give new life to some old forgotten Buick.    

• Like 2

I want to know why the PURIST aren't/haven't been SCREAMING at Buick engineers for MODIFYING the 53 Roadmaster, into the SKYLARK?

WHY?

Oh I get it, it's ok for a select group, but NOT me. With that said I'm tired of SOME purist telling me, YOU ruined that Buick. How many times have YOU heard a custom car guy/girl tell the purist that they don't like their piece?

When will SOME purist understand, EACH TO HIS/HER own?

MY LIFE MATTERS TOOOOOOOOOO! hehe

Dale in Indy

• Like 2

Here is how SOME purist think:

Genius:  I WANT TO SE THE MANAGER OF THE BOOK DEPARTMENT.

Purist:  Oh, there isn't one, Sir.

Genius:  Well, who looks after the pictures?

Purist: That's done by machinery, Sir.

Genius:  Isn't there a clerk who can examine patents?

Purist:  Quite unnecessary, Sir. EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE INVENTED HAS BEEN INVENTED.

Genius:  Well, I want to leave a novel, a picture, and an idea.

Purist:  You must be rather OLD-FASHIONED, Sir.  All sorts of work is done, nowadays, by mental photography..

Genius: Oh, I see, YOU don't  care to see my works, YOU know what's best for me/us.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I want to know why the PURIST aren't/haven't been SCREAMING at Buick engineers for MODIFYING the 53 Roadmaster, into the SKYLARK?

WHY?

Oh I get it, it's ok for a select group, but NOT me. With that said I'm tired of SOME purist telling me, YOU ruined that Buick. How many times have YOU heard a custom car guy/girl tell the purist that they don't like their piece?

When will SOME purist understand, EACH TO HIS/HER own?

MY LIFE MATTERS TOOOOOOOOOO! hehe

Dale in Indy

Dale, I have been showing my national winning 67 for 35 years, it is stock as that is what I prefer - but I couldn't count how many times over the years I have been told it would look so much better if I did this to it or added these wheels, or put this engine in instead of the one it has.  Or you should turn in into a GS,   So your rant holds no air with me on you being treated differently or unfairly.  I prefer cars that are stock, but can appreciate good workmanship and good thought behind something modified.  It's the same scenario for everything on earth Dale, everyone has there own likes and dislikes and regardless of what it is they voice an opinion.   You should take a course entitled "I don't give a #### what anyone else thinks" it makes your life so much easier - why do you need someone else's approval about your car?  If it's what you want and what you like then you don't need any more approval or accolades than that.  

Why would anybody be pissed or want to debate if they were already looking at the Performance / Modified section of this forum?

If this forum offends you, don't come here.

It's really easy.

I have never been on the Opel forum because it doesn't interest me.

I haven't gone on AACA General in a looong time due to attitudes that don't align with my personal ideas.

It doesn't bother me that those forums are available to the people who get their free entertainment there.

That would be silly.

:)

Just sayin'

• Like 2

I understand BOTH sides of the "purist" and "otherwise" discussions.  A good while back, I was accused of being "a purist", which I appreciated as I knew what the orientation of the person who made it was (not a true purist).  Sometimes, trying to be a "true purist" can be an exercise in futility and/or VERY expensive.  It can also depend upon where the person is located and what resources they've found to work with (especially pre-Internet or Internet-challenged).

"Ruined" can be variable in nature.  Related to how expensive it would be to undo what has been done, which can also relate to how much one is willing to spend in that activity.  One person's "ruined" vehicle can be another person's "WOW" vehicle.  The degree of WOW and if another person has that same perception can affect resale value of the vehicle later on.

"Ruined" can also relate to a modified (in whatever manner) vehicle, by a "purist", or can be "ruined" as there are some modifications which could make the vehicle much better (in whatever aspect) to drive and enjoy . . . rather than the owner seeking valor for the uncomfortableness/sacrifices of their "purist" vehicle orientation.  To each their own!  Their money, their car, THEIR comfort.  Their choice of vehicle!

When I really shake my head is when I see somebody chase a pristine, unrusty car with the sole intent of stripping it and making a "special use vehicle" out of it, when a less pristine vehicle would have done just fine.  But that's THEIR deal, not mine.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I absolutely get both sides too, Willis. My point was that often times someone will ask how to modify something in this section and everybody starts busting BB's.

Most everybody knows me here. I drive old cars. Some are bone stock. Some a little modified. Some even more. I agree with Keith above when he mentions workmanship. Quality workmanship transcends all else. A solid idea is second. If your modification doesn't make your car better, then your money is wasted. Then you are just a big dummy.

• Like 2

Why would anybody be pissed or want to debate if they were already looking at the Performance / Modified section of this forum?

If this forum offends you, don't come here.

It's really easy.

I have never been on the Opel forum because it doesn't interest me.

I haven't gone on AACA General in a looong time due to attitudes that don't align with my personal ideas.

It doesn't bother me that those forums are available to the people who get their free entertainment there.

That would be silly.

Just sayin'

Right on, Mike. Real easy.

Ben

• Like 1

Randy, I wasn't  trying to prompt a debate or piss anyone off, merely trying to keep the P/M forum lively with a bit of humor. But if anyone would like to start a debate, have at it, in you own thread.  I'll certainly defend the Modified Division or any other division that might bring more members to the club and perhaps give new life to some old forgotten Buick.    

Mr. Earl did mention the highlighted area...

Edited by 72gs455 (see edit history)

Mr. Earl did mention the highlighted area...have at it, in you own thread

and that he did. Go Smitty. I hope I've still got that much spunk when I'm 80. (50 years from now).

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/257173-i-love-modified-cars-and-stocks-toooooo-but/

I doubt the AACA will ever have a modified class but as long as it's working for the BCA I'm a happy camper.

BTW I can't believe no one recognized that picture above was me, 25 years ago.

• Like 1

and that he did. Go Smitty. I hope I've still got that much spunk when I'm 80. (50 years from now).

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/257173-i-love-modified-cars-and-stocks-toooooo-but/

I doubt the AACA will ever have a modified class but as long as it's working for the BCA I'm a happy camper.

BTW I can't believe no one recognized that picture above was me, 25 years ago.

++++25 years ago.

With a VERY early smart phone

Ben

• Like 1

Isn't wonderful, we can express ourselves.

Actually I enjoy walking a show field looking/examining ALL cars. Often it's a good learning experience.

Oh, we will never know which is more difficult, cut one, or restoring one, and I have enjoyed doing BOTH.

Don't always take me to serious, probably shouldn't enjoy stirring the pot.

Love you,

Dale in indy

Dang Lamar , got me thinking about doing another car this summer.

Anyone know where I can find a 54 Super coupe, I'm thinking rat rod flat black, de chromed and a lumpy sounding 455 ( got to keep it all Buick right) tub the rears and make a cruiser ;-)

Oh yea baby!

• Like 2

Back about 30 years ago, when there were two types of Model As . . . steel ones (originals) and fiberglass ones . . . there was an orientation that ONLY the fiberglass ones should be made into street rods, saving the steel ones to be restored.

I was at a weekend cruise event when a few guys drove in in their steel-bodied Model As, both chopped top cars.  One had a t-shirt which read "Anybody can restore a car.  It takes a real man to cut one."  That guy was about 6'3", pretty solid in build, and took pride in having cut a steel-bodied car rather than a wimpy "glass" body.

Now that you can buy anything you might need to build a steel-bodied Model A, why even worry about finding a "real one", except for some concours-type show or something?

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Speaking from zero experience, I am certain it takes a lot of skill to modify any car. Even the more routine "cookie cutter" ones  which kinda remind me of walking a new car dealers lot where so many things are the same you need guidance to determine what is different about the vehicle.

But I like to find the ones with the obvious differences.  Here's such an example:

post-77230-0-39787600-1432813839_thumb.j

Which was pushed by this:

post-77230-0-66824600-1432813859_thumb.j

Probably much of the rest is the same as the 30 or so others at this show, but I'm imagining this one took a bit more engineering to pull off.

Isn't wonderful, we can express ourselves.

Actually I enjoy walking a show field looking/examining ALL cars. Often it's a good learning experience.

Oh, we will never know which is more difficult, cut one, or restoring one, and I have enjoyed doing BOTH.

Don't always take me to serious, probably shouldn't enjoy stirring the pot.

Love you,

Dale in indy

We love you too Dale. Not that I felt you needed it but just came to your defense up in your AACA thread.

Anyone know where I can find a 54 Super coupe, I'm thinking rat rod flat black, de chromed and a lumpy sounding 455 ( got to keep it all Buick right) tub the rears and make a cruiser ;-)

Oh yea baby!

Sounds good to me. Let me know if you're serious and I'll dang sure find you one. But only if you reverse the sweepspear and let the short swoop be over the front wheel and the exhaust carried out through the portholes in the rear quarter. :o;):)

That would be silly.

Just sayin'

Sheeze I think I just got a dose of what you speak. Stepped right in the middle of the barnyard so to speak. 

I'll get right on that trying to control others taste outside my god-given sphere if I have any energy after I modify my bone stock 55 cent dyna to stick dual fours 56 dual exhaust, 56 dual exhaust rear bumper and any other mod I think of to De-improve the poor victim of my bad taste! By the way anyone want to buy a continental kit 54-56? Just thought I'd ask. Greg

Oh yea baby!

There is one sitting in my driveway.  Ready for some rat rod black!

Oh yea baby!

There is one sitting in my driveway.  Ready for some rat rod black!

there ya go Mark, better jump on it before he changes his mind!!! or I forget I already have two barns full of projects,  do a reverse mortgage and buy it.

Here's you in a couple of months V

post-77380-0-83673000-1433504673_thumb.j

post-77380-0-53525500-1433504674_thumb.j

post-77380-0-44643400-1433504675_thumb.j

• Like 1

Rear "tubs", in and of themselves, would not affect wet weather driving. BUT the super-wide soft rubber "racin' tires" might be more prone to hydroplane on deeper "wetness" than the skinny-tread tires the vehicles came with back then. .. wheels/tires which fit the existing wheel wells.

Another issue would be how well the tubs are mated to the existing floorpans of the vehicle. Not getting them sealed against moisture and dust COULD impact the longevity and enjoyment of the vehicle. Hopefully, just the sheet metal would be altered and NOT the frame rails!!

NTX5467

Oh yea baby!

How about a 54 Roadmaster Mark?  This one is in my storage garage, could hook you up!

post-84469-0-96349600-1433948706_thumb.j

Chris, where has that black Roadmaster been all my life. I'd like to hear more about it. Wouldn't happen to be the Stephen King promotion car I saw in Flint in 03 would it? 

feel free to email me at 1954buick at gmail dot com

email sent

I offered this one to Mark, figured he could customize it or whatever, but he turned me down.  :>)

Chris,

I had already customized that one, that's why you bought from me :-)

Dang good looking car isn't it!

• 2 weeks later...