1940 Packard 160 convertible sedan

trimacar

Took a drive today in a very nice car, I just finished putting interior in, and top on, it.....been an uphill battle, as it was missing a lot of interior pieces.  Many in the Packard club may know this car as the one that's been under restoration "forever", or, to be more exact, 25+ years........owner wants me to put some miles on it to shake it down and see what else it needs, well, it's a tough job, but told him I'd do it if I HAD to!!!

post-76888-0-95740300-1432334964_thumb.j

post-76888-0-84345800-1432334977_thumb.j

I kept wondering why the top almost appears gray in photos. In recent nice weather been working with garage door open, realized enough pollen on top that it's discolored! Brushed off today with my super duper special top brush, looks much better!

Note the side snaps are hidden, I can have the special plates with snaps fabricated if anyone needs them for a top.

West, I saw your car, and can understand your door latch concern! I still don't see how your door didn't smash into the fender, some strong hinges for sure!

Thanks for comments. Current owner bought as a basket case 25-30 years ago, so don't know provenance .....

It does not have overdrive. I thought they all did by then, but not this one. I've had it to 50 mph and there's a lot left, though....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This car looked great while you had it in process, but now on the road it looks truly magnificent - same genre as my 1937 Roadmaster 80c, but so very elegant !

I have driven comfortably at 75 mph in a 40 Super 8 with the overdrive.   Really a great car to drive long distances.

I would imagine the convertible sedan was a fairly rare body style by 1940.

Btw, 25 years is nothing.  My dad is finishing (maybe) his 35 Packard this year and he started the restoration around 1966.  A poll on how long a ground up restoration takes on average would be interesting.  Not counting the high end stuff where the guy tells the shop to get it done "regardless".

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)