1941 buick 248 motor swap

Guest sfv_super

Guest sfv_super

Looking for a straight up no BS shop that can replace my 1941 248 over to a 1950 248...turn key.. The only "big" issue is the front motor mount...looking in the los angeles or surounding areas..any recommendations are greatly appreciated...this car has been sitting to long..

This swap is not difficult.  Up until about 2 years ago, I owned a 41 special convertible with a 1950 engine in it.  The previous owner had installed it.  The 41 front mount appeared to have been bolted to the front of the block without modification.  This engine had the side mount bosses on it (unused) and the water pump was the later style.  Everything else was just like an original 41 engine.  sorry, I can't recommend anyone to you.       Jim

Looking for a straight up no BS shop that can replace my 1941 248 over to a 1950 248...turn key.. The only "big" issue is the front motor mount...looking in the los angeles or surounding areas..any recommendations are greatly appreciated...this car has been sitting to long..

I can't help you with a shop . Are you saying you want to replace the engine in your '41? Are you aware that a '50 263 will exchange as easily as a '50 248? As long as it came from a stick shift car.

Ben

Guest sfv_super

The 1950 motor i already purchased and has been sitting next to my car for as long as the car has been sitting...i wanted this motor to switch from babbit...the conversion isnt hard but the trick is finding someone who is familiar with what to order and what to expect..i dont want anyone guessing or doing a half fast job.also the carbs need to be reinstalled along with linkages...all the oldtimers are out of service nowadays...as soon as i mention its a 41 and a buick...i get a blank stare...any one out there!!!!!!

Guest sfv_super

This swap is not difficult. Up until about 2 years ago, I owned a 41 special convertible with a 1950 engine in it. The previous owner had installed it. The 41 front mount appeared to have been bolted to the front of the block without modification. This engine had the side mount bosses on it (unused) and the water pump was the later style. Everything else was just like an original 41 engine. sorry, I can't recommend anyone to you. Jim

The 41 Buick looks like a nice car and well worth the effort to put the 1950 motor in. I would recommend joining the BCA and a local branch in the Los Angeles area.  The members in the club may know someone who is experienced in straight eight buicks who could install the engine.  

In one of your posts above you refer to installing the dual carburetors onto the 263 engine.  This will be the difficult part because the motor mount on the driver side of the engine will interfere with the dual section exhaust manifold from the 1941 engine.  It can probably be done, but it is not as simple as the rest of the swap.

Joe, BCA 33493

Newbie... I bought a `36 Buick grille from a guy last year in the LA area, San Fernando Valley, he`s like "Mr. BUICK". He may take on a job like you want. His name is Bob Saunders, 7953 Balboa Blvd., Van Nuys, Ca. 91406    Ph# 818 908 0855    Email,  KathrynSaunders@att.net   Check with him, he`s in his early 70s and knows the old Buicks, and would probably be able to recommend someone in the area if he can`t do it.  Good luck, he should remember me.  Tom Northcutt in Texas. Keep us updated..

The head thing is that it is from a same geartype car.

At the motormounts you must block the upper thread holes with screws because they go throu and oil comes out if they are open while running.

The Exhaust will match, because of no side motormounts.

The front motormount plate will match with all small straight eights, for install, the timingchain and cam sprocket must off.

Take care for the correct timingmarks !!

Belt wide are the same ?

If its a 263 all on the upper engine is nearly 1" lower, waterpump (fan), differend belt size, exhaust Manifolds(= problems with the mounting angle),

Carb linkage ..

Is there a waterpump on the new engine? thats important, because of 263 only, and you if you wanna

a new one, you must send your old.

OK ,Kanter(the ONLY source at moment), sell it with core.

The 263 looks smilar to the 248 but is completely different..

Think to this little thinks, it makes a lot work after changing the long block.

I had this all behind me..;)

my 2 cents :)

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)

The head thing is that it is from a same geartype car.

At the motormounts you must block the upper thread holes with screws because they go throu and oil comes out if they are open while running.

The Exhaust will match, because of no side motormounts.

The front motormount plate will match with all small straight eights, for install, the timingchain and cam sprocket must off.

Take care for the correct timingmarks !!

Belt wide are the same ?

If its a 263 all on the upper engine is nearly 1" lower, waterpump (fan), differend belt size, exhaust Manifolds(= problems with the mounting angle),

Carb linkage ..

Is there a waterpump on the new engine? thats important, because of 263 only, and you if you wanna

a new one, you must send your old.

OK ,Kanter(the ONLY source at moment), sell it with core.

The 263 looks smilar to the 248 but is completely different..

Think to this little thinks, it makes a lot work after changing the long block.

I had this all behind me.. ;)

my 2 cents :)

Source for waterpump is to google Flying Dutchman. He prolley is less expensive? Does all buick pumps I believe.

• 2 weeks later...