Timing Model 20 Hupmobile

MochetVelo

Phil the first mark  is TDC and the  second mark  is  3/8 to the right of the first mark  and is the allignment mark. So if you line up with this 2nd  mark (as per the manual)  you are setting  the  timing retarded  after TDC . I firmly believe with fixed  ignition that  this must be wrong.  I do set my ignition like this  but have fitted  variable  ignition and I set it retarded on this  position and run with  the ignition timing advanced from this position.-Karl 

Phil When the distributor rotor is on segment number one and the points are just about to open is the point you want  . Surprisingly although it sounds easy   it  always seems a little  difficult  to  determine  the  exact position where the points are just about to  open. When you find this point  you  are  meant to mesh the magneto  drive  to  the camshaft  drive with the flywheel lined up with the second mark and  the timing is set .

You can  put a timing light on the lead to Number  one  and power it with  a 12 v  car battery. Just like  normal it will  pulse  when  number one  fires  off which might help you as well -Karl

Edited by Hupdoc (see edit history)

I found Max's past suggestion on the magneto gear leak:

"Assuming that you have bored the mag gear cover and installed a lip type oil seal to run on the mag drive gear you can further make an oil baffle plate from thin metal and install it between the cam gear and the mag gear to help divert the splash from the cam gear which is working like a pump. Make the baffle to just clear the cam gear."

I can picture a lip seal pressed into the magneto shaft opening. Any suggestion for what seal to use there? Also, I don't understand the baffle. Is this perpendicular to the gears and attached somehow to the cover?

Phil

I've never used a  baffle  and  the oil  leak is minimal  -Perhaps  a drop under  the  cover  at the end of long run (given the oil leaks from the breather overflow this  is tiny in comparison) I do have the the lip seal in the  front  of the gear cover . Taking the  magneto out to set it up on  a bench is fine  but it's very easy to  knock the  mag drive installing it and upset everything again. The lip seal also  bears on the magneto drive shaft  meaning even a  slight knock to the gear cover may move the driveshaft and  upset the timing. I set mine up on the bench and then use Andreas  nail polish to mark the correct posiion of the drive wheel  to  make sure it stays correct -Still normally  end up doing  it a few times to get it right  -Karl 

Edited by Hupdoc (see edit history)

Speaking of magnetos and drive gears, a friend of mine just bought a 1910 Model 20, he's missing the magneto, magneto drive gear, and cover.  Anyone have a spare of any/all?  I just looked in the 1911 edition of the parts book, a complete magneto assembly ready to bolt to engine was $75!  That was 10% of the cost of the car!

I'll take mine out this weekend. Just tell me what info/photos you need. The cover should be a simple one to cast.  I could take all the dimensions and a tracing.  A wood pattern should be pretty simple to make. I would think one could make a solid pattern, then cut it in half and hollow it out. It could then be cast in iron for around $10 -15 each.

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

If you're taking apart, then gear diameter, both outer and at root of teeth, number of teeth, width of gear, and any pitch measurements you can take (see attached)I agree the cover could be easily cast, I've worked with a foundry that does bronze casting Very inexpensively, relatively speaking. Thanks!!post-76888-0-02241500-1432249313_thumb.j

G,day Huppers  Buying a DU4. Just check the rotation as a Hup 20 is reverse to the more common varieties. They can of course be reversed by changing the points block or in dire straits by filing off the brass key so that  the points open as the armature pole shoe is leaving the magnet shoe by 020 thou . Illustrated in the handbook . Don't forget the distributer turns opposite to the armature so the firing order on the cap is opposite to what you might think. The magneto gear is the same configuration as the crankshaft gear except for the centre. We once had a mag gear made up by putting a new centre into a crank gear.The only mag gears that I have seen are steel sometimes case hardened perhaps because the earlier cam gears are fibre or later bronze . Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Easy  to get the  gears milled.  If Phil posts the Diametrical pitch and  number of teeth etc  it might be fun to try and mill one  up on my lathe . I have all the gear to do gear cutting  but haven't had a crack yet -Karl 

Well, at first I wondered about a scan, whether it would give the correct info, but yes, it would give everything but the width.

There are sets of gears being sold now for camshaft drive, Max, are you saying the gear on the magneto shaft is the same as one of these?  Or, are you talking about the gear that DRIVES the gear on the magneto shaft?

Ebay auction attached, seems fair for the gears for sure.

Looking at the magneto from the front (wire connection end), the magneto turns clockwise, correct? (or left hand, I believe, imagine grabbing the magneto shaft with your left hand, the rotation is in the direction your thumb points).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hupmobile-Mod-20-Gears-for-Camshaft-and-Crankshaft-Antique-and-Vintage-car-/111675411316?hash=item1a005f8b74&vxp=mtr

G,day Huppers Yes David, apart from the centre the gears are the same , If a crankshaft gear is available a new centre can be fitted to mount it on the magneto shaft. This would be only to save cutting the teeth.  If a new Mag gear is to be made be sure to make the dia of the boss to take your new seal. Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

I have the magneto out, but haven't taken the gear off the shaft yet. Here are some dimensions, per your drawing:

Face Width:  .500

Circular Thickness:  .170

Bottom Land: .125

Tooth Depth:  .209 (23 teeth) (a= .115; b= .94)

Measurements are the best I can do with my digital calipers. I'll get the diameter when/if I pull the gear, but I'm leaving it on for now to see if my timing adjustments will work.

Phil

Here are a couple photos of the magneto timing settings, per the Book of Instructions. First, the flywheel is set so piston no. 1 is slightly past TDC on the compression stroke. Then, the front of the mag is removed to reveal the brush (not inserted in the photo) which is turned to about the 4:00 position. This is the setting for firing the no. 1 plug.

post-95632-0-47547500-1432415253_thumb.j

The rear of the mag after removing the conducting bar and aluminum plate. This reveals the armature. I've marked it where the right side has 3/8" gap.

post-95632-0-38331200-1432415486_thumb.j

post-95632-0-59667700-1432417352_thumb.j

Phil 

G,day Huppers. Im surprised the magneto will spark on a three eight air gap. We run ours on twenty five thou. Never trust the

timing mark on the flywheel without setting it yourself. We take out the valve bungs and with a torch find the top of the piston

travel. Verify the flywheel mark ,then with a bicycle spoke bent on the end to 3/8 more turn the engine backwards until this

dimension is achieved. Clamp up the gear to this with the points just breaking and you have 3/8 advance. On magnetos with a

variable cam ring on full retard this will give a firing point of TDC and a slow idle.Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

G,day Huppers. Seems to me that the Hup instructors delighted in confusion. The service bulletin No 3 for July 1916 dealing with valve timing and spark on the model 20  instructs "Position of crank and piston at moment of firing with spark FULLY RETARDED is 13 deg. past TDC or 1 and 31/32 on the flywheel". Had they forgotten they had given the magneto fixed spark. If you set your fixed sparker to this setting  you could kick your  hat faster than your Hup Max Burke Nulkaba2325 Australia

G,day Huppers. Ken the Hup service bulitans were reproduced in the USA Hup Herald over the last perhaps twenty years. Although I don't subscribe to it a friend with a 20 and a 38 E does and he copied the sheets that related to to the model N and 32 which we have had for many years. There are several inserts relating to the mod 20 among these sheets. Perhaps if you contact the editor they might be able to print off for you the sheets from back issues. How many relate to the 20 I don't know as we only got those as before mentioned. on the other hand someone with a Herald collection may help you. Some readers seem confused when I say we run on 3/8 inch advance. this is our distance that the piston is down the cylinder as it comes up on compression and not the dimension in inches on the fly wheel surface which we mark off from the 3/8 of the piston stroke. We do not run fixed spark on any of our cars but if any drivers wish to do so that's ok by me, as an apprentice we were taught fixed spark for engines with constant revs only. It pays to check the existing marks before doing anything . The flywheel may not be from that engine. Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Good news: I got the Hupp running today. It puffed a bit upon filling the priming cups, so that gave me hope when I filled the gas tank. After several tries, it started, ran and responded to the throttle. In the excitement, I'd forgotten to attach the shut-off switch to the magneto, so I had to cut off the gas valve and wait for it to die. I don't know if my timing is correct. It's set a bit advanced now; about 1.5"-2" before TDC, I think. It's also leaking exhaust from the manifold nut connection, so I'll try to seal that.

Phil