64 Riviera Wood Steering Wheel Horn Cap and Innards

dhaven64

Guest Kaber

I have an alternative idea to fix this but need a drawing or pictures of what the horn bar and contacts look like. Anybody?

Thanks, Tim

I'm assuming that you have access to a 3D printer.  I'd bet that you could come up with one to copy if you could make them available.  I have the repo so I think you'd want to copy an original if you were going to do this.  Anyone?????

Ed

I attached an exploded view of the horn guts. There is also a horn contact at about 10:00 in the hub. All of the parts are available on ebay except for the largest plastic ring (the one closest to the hub in the picture). Do a search on a '65 Chevy model horn kit. Here's a link to an auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-1960-1962-1966-Chevy-Impala-Steering-Wheel-Horn-Contact-Kit-/381107296675?hash=item58bbc3d9a3&vxp=mtr

Notice the largest plastic ring is missing.

Clarke's Corvair used to have a full kit and they may carry them again.

I do plan on making the horn caps again.....at some point.

Rick

post-111062-0-11333500-1431972896_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting topic. I have a original wood wheel on my 65 Riviera GS and would like to replace it with a after market similar wheel made Grant Part#1170 shown here on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161313668561?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mainly want to try a thicker grip and slightly smaller diameter.

This looks like a wheel which will bolt right on to my existing boss but I don't understand how I can get a horn button  because my button is a fixed and horn is sounded with the side bars. Anyone know what button I can buy to suit?

• Like 1

Hey Tony ! I replaced the original wheel on my '65 with the same Grant wheel you showed on your post, also purchased on Ebay, only mine came with a horn button with Riviera insignia, and complete installation kit.  It feels good and has a very original look, although I haven't been able to get the horn to work properly.  It makes constant contact and I haven't gotten around to sorting it out yet. Something rattles in the box it came in.... it's either the old horn guts or the part I accidentally left out. I hope to find the time to actually open the box soon.  Anyway, you should be able to find the vendor for the wheel complete with horn button & instal. kit on Ebay, or contact Grant directly.   Good luck, Drew

In fact I just checked and it is there. If you search Ebay Motors for '65 Riviera steering wheel, you will find it. Sorry, I am not tech-savy enough to provide a link without help from my wife....lets not get her involved, shall we?  Drew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick, I purchased the horn guts (as a kit) but with the spacer makes it so the screws cannot reach and thread into the hub. Also, it didn't include the 2 smaller screws and washers like those in the link you provided. Any ideas on how to make the screws fit? How necessary is the spacer?

You only need three screws to mount the hornbar. Look at the picture in my earlier post. The link for the kit is for a different car but it has most of the parts needed. The two shorter screws are not needed for your application. The largest plastic ring will need to be found elsewhere. If the screws are too short, take the hub to a hardware store and look for the proper length. Also be aware the hub holes may be stripped. You will need all of the parts in the exploded view attached to my earlier post.

Rick  

Thanks Rick. I've got all the necessary pieces to make this work, and the threads are fine, I just need longer screws like you said. One question though, I hooked it up without the spacer to see if the threads were ok, but all I hear is a clicking sound when I press the horn bar and when I turn the steering wheel. I read in another post that it could be dirty points on the horn relay, but they are clean as it's new. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So do I! ;)

This thread is quite old, so I don't know if anybody will see my request: (If not, I'll start a new thread).
Any chance to get this horn bar and horn cap from buickbonehead? I tryed to get in touch with him one week ago, but didn't got any response by now.
Do you guys know where is an other place to get these parts? (...and ship them to Switzerland!)

Many thxx :)

Sorry guys! I've been buried with tax season. Now that it is over I can play a little.

I have hornbars in stock and ready to go. I also received an email from my metal guy last Monday with pics of CAD renderings of the horn caps. I gotta think we're close on those but I could be wrong. All I can say is please be patient on the horn caps.

Rick

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2015 at 5:50 AM, abandg said:

I have all the interior parts ( less the horn switch ) for the wood wheel install including the diagram. 70 dollars includes shipping in USA. Thanks Gene.

Good evening.

Are the wood wheel interior parts still available?

When you refer to the horn switch are you referring to the plunger?

Thank you,

Marty

Pretty sure several GM vehicles used the needed part on their "fake" wood wheels.   Eckler's Corvette parts probably has what you need..I don't have their catalog but it is probably online.

I am looking at Classic Industries Impala catalog and their kit has 2 plastic parts, the metal contact and the contact that rubs the brass ring, catalog pric is $13.95

Clarks Corvair parts list some of the parts individually and also as a kit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

You can buy the horn contact kit that fits on top of the steering wheel as new parts, but the hub below the steering wheel, the screws that hold

the hub to the wheel, and the horn cap must be sourced as used parts. The horn bars are reproduced. Generally you will normally have to buy an entire

wood wheel setup at once to get all the parts, especially to get the horn cap, which is the hardest part to source. If you buy just the steering wheel with no other parts it isn't  going to do you much good, however if the wheel is in mint condition with never any cracks and it is for sale, you might want to go ahead and buy it, but don't pay too much for it, as you will wind up buying another steering wheel just to get the hub and horn cap. Yes, the wheel in your picture is a very nice correct Riviera wood steering wheel.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Yes......this wheel is correct for the 64, 65, and 66 model Rivieras. This is what the wheel looks like with the

hub, horn cap and repro horn bar installed. Note that I had the  plastic wood refinished to a color that matches

the original console and door panel wood in my car. From the factory, the steering wheel imitation wood rim is a totally

different color than the rest of the wood in the car. I can hook you up with the guy that redid the wood finish on the steering

wheel if you are interested.DSCN0353.thumb.JPG.3aa6eacecad793963ad3c22e77bf659c.JPG 

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

So the stock hub that the current factory wheel is mounted on will not work, correct?  I will need to find wood wheel haub and all the other components to make this work.  Does the horn center button work without the horn bar?

Art

The horn cap is just an ornament. It does not move or honk the horn. You can run the wheel without a horn bar, but there would be exposed notches

where the horn bar goes through the horn cap and you would have no ability to honk the horns. The standard steering wheel has no chrome hub

behind it, the wheel is all one piece and the hub is part of the steering wheel.

I think I understand all this after reading though all of it, but....  1.  So if I got an aftermarket horn kit and adapter (to convert the stock 3 bolt to 6 bolts), would that above wheel work then with the aftermarket horn button?   Then just wait and keep searching for the horn bar and button.  2.  or I just buy a Grant Products 930 Classic GM Wheel or the Scott Drake GM-SW-6782-CV Walnut GM 15" Woodgrain Steering Wheel .  These are both pretty nice.  The Grant is 1/3 the cost and Scott Drake is 1/2 the cost of the real wheel.  Still would need a horn kit and hub adapter.  

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

Although the Riviera wheel has six bolts, the diameter of the bolt pattern does not match that of other GM wheels

that have the horn cap that honks the horn, as in the Corvette steering wheels or later Riviera wheels. The diameter of the spacing on this wheel is larger,

so you have to go with the original parts for this wheel to have a horn.