No Power

b6vt

My v12 is in good shape as far as compression (110to120per cyl) The carbeuration has been checked and corrected.  It will start quickly and run at idle as smooth as any.  When it comes to the power--I'm lucky to get it out of the driveway.  I put new spark plug wires on it and  replaced one of the terminal plates. I am going to take the wiring loom and wires plus terminal plates off and check that I have wired it in order.  Does any one

have any thing else that I should check????  Glenn Lorei

My V-12 is doing the same thing.  Complete new rebuild,  new coil ,rebuilt distributor, new carburetor, new starter, new wiring,  rebuilt gas tank, fuel pump.  Idles great starts right up but no power.  Timing has been suggested as a reason but I haven't tried it.  Lee Waldren Fort Myers, fl

My V-12 is doing the same thing.  Complete new rebuild,  new coil ,rebuilt distributor, new carburetor, new starter, new wiring,  rebuilt gas tank, fuel pump.  Idles great starts right up but no power.  Timing has been suggested as a reason but I haven't tried it.  Lee Waldren Fort Myers, fl

Lee,If the distributor was replaced correctly, and you would know if it hadn't.  The male to female wedge would hardly allow it to be otherwise--one of Henry's  fool proof designs.  Of course it could possibly be internal parts in the distributor that are bad but I have had Jake Flemming look at my distributor and nothing gets by that guy. Please let me know if you find the solution.

Edited by b6vt (see edit history)

common to run on six cylinders.smooth quiet and gutless..Check spark

right bank then left..I bet it is dead on one side...

Timing is set if dist was rebuilt..pump carb, see if accel pump squirts..shold be visable...

condensers can look good, but be a dead short..kill spark..

take a look see"......

I remember a short article in a past issue of TWOZ  about a similar problem. Remove the  air

cleaner from the carb . This car had a heavy pc. of paper under the air cleaner lid dropping

down on the airhorn of the carb. Just cut the air off.

ALSO

A friend many years ago had a similar problem with his '40 LC CAB. It would just idle great,

Take it out on the road, push it hard, stumbled, died right down. Checked  everything,

finally checked fuel pump ( metal top) . Someone left out the thin gasket under the dome. The  

engine used enough gas at idle to not leak, but on demand; problem started . Replaced that

gasket , ran like a "scalded cat".

Check the running voltage at the coil input. (Be carefule of fingers in the fan).  Should be a bit less than three volts.  If one side is 6 volts, or 0 volts, you have a problem on that side.  Check all the above.  I had a broken spring on one set of points did the same thing.

Abe 

Guest joe hill

If you have Over Drive disconnect the two wires (at the condensers)  that come from the over drive to the condensers. One or both could be grounded, which would cause that side of engine not to fire.

GOOD LUCK

Lee, when you checked the system what was your sequence?  I have a volt/ ohm meter and some alligator clips --ck voltage at the the two terminals on top of the distributor?  Please advise.  Thanks.  Glenn Lorei

Yes, for positie ground, connect + side of DC volt meter to ground, - side to one of the low voltage terminals where wires from OD relay and capacitor are connected, start engine, read voltage.  Since the points go between open circuit, 6 volts, and ground when closed the average will be a bit under 3 volts if everything is working.  Repeat for other side. 

Abe

• 1 month later...

I am reporting as to the cause of the loss of power on my '48 LC.  Because I had replaced the ignition wires on the engine I thought it most likely to be the trouble spot.  I removed the wire loom and wires from the engine.  Looking down into the distributor after I had removed the caps and terminal plates I noticed a broken rubber grommet.lying on the bottom of the distributor case.  The terminal plate on the rh side was swimming around without this keeper.  It was replaced and I have my power back.  Thanks, everyone for your in put !!  b6vt

Just returned from Ohio and installed two new condensors and a rebuilt coil. It runs great. I have a 1 inch blue spark on all 12 cylinders. I found out that it was only running on 6 cylinders on the right side Lee