1924 Oldsmobile model 30B battery ground and other misc.

Hello all, my grandfather bought a 1924 Oldsmobile Opera Coupe, it didn't come with a battery and although I know it is a six volt car, I don't know if it is positive or negative ground. Also, where is the serial number normally located? And the engine number? Another question I have, is about the kind of Carburetor we have on the car. I know the original was a Zenith but they could be replaced. The car has a Marvel-Schebler TSXU-832 Carburetor on it. Before we start digging in and getting the car running, I wanted to know if this carb was worth keeping? Any help would really be appreciatedThanks in advance. Vintagecarguy.

post-141808-0-42570900-1431619735_thumb.

Now after looking around some more, I have to ask about the spark advance. I know it is slightly out of what is normal. When I pull the spark lever all the way down (about the six o'clock position) the distributor turns counter clockwise (while sitting in the driver's seat) and when the spark lever is pushed back up (to about the three o'clock position) the distributor turns clockwise. What I do not understand is which way is the spark advanced? I remember reading somewhere that with the spark lever up the spark is advanced and with the spark lever down the spark is slowed. But because the lever has a set screw, and the car has not run in many years, I do not know if this was changed. This sounds very confusing, if I can clear anything up please let me know. Thanks in advance (no pun intended!!!),

Vintagecarguy.

To advance the spark you go against distributor rotor rotation.  To retard it you turn the distributor with rotor rotation.

Terry 

dictator27,

Thank you for the help. This car is different from the ones I am used to, as it uses a cable hooked up to the spark lever shaft and not a rod. Thank you again.

Vintagecarguy.

Okay, I got the instruction manual for the 1924 Olds but what does it mean when they say "ENGINE OIL EXTRA HEAVY" and "ENGINE OIL MEDIUM HEAVY"? I understand that one is for summer and the other is for winter, but what is the actual weight of the oil? Would extra heavy be something like a 30 or 40 weight? Thanks again.

Vintagecarguy. 

There is an easy way to determine battery polarity.  Put the battery in, hook it up and turn the lights on (engine not running).  Not familiar with Oldsmobiles of that period, but I'm presuming it has an ammeter.  If the ammeter needle moves toward the positive side of the gauge the battery is in backwards.  Unlike modern cars, putting the battery in backwards won't cause any damage.

If that was my car I would use diesel specification 15W40 oil.  Modern oils are far superior to what was available in 1924.

Terry 

dictator27,

Thanks for the advice. I just got the "Instruction" book this morning and come to find out the car is a negative ground system. Most antique cars I've been around are positive. I will definately try the 15W40 you recommended. Thanks again.

Vintagecarguy.

Why does the instruction manual say to put engine oil in the transmission? Would it be better now a days to put a heavy weight gear/transmission oil in, or would it be okay to put a heavy weight engine oil (5W40) in the transmission? just thought I'd ask as I am going through the book finding out what I can before diving in and trying to get the '24 Olds going. Thanks again to all who have helped me out!

Vintagecarguy.

DO NOT put hypoid gear oil in your transmission.  The additives in the oil will eat any bronze bushings in it.  If the manual specifies engine oil, use a single grade oil - maybe 40 weight.  It is an unsychronized sliding gear type of transmission which requires double clutching for shifting.  Too heavy an oil will affect how the transmission shifts.  

Terry

DO NOT put hypoid gear oil in your transmission.  The additives in the oil will eat any bronze bushings in it.  If the manual specifies engine oil, use a single grade oil - maybe 40 weight.  It is an unsychronized sliding gear type of transmission which requires double clutching for shifting.  Too heavy an oil will affect how the transmission shifts.  

Terry

Terry,

Thank you for all of your help!

Vintagecarguy.

Hello all, we got the '24 Olds running but now we have to try and run it off of the main tank. The car was last run (an unknown amount of years ago) on the G&G vacuum tank. We are going to give the vacuum tank a try this weekend. If the vacuum tank does not work, is it okay to leave the vacuum line hooked up to the tank or is it better to close off the vacuum port at the intake manifold? Thanks in advance.

Vintagecarguy.