Had at breakdown today

v12lincoln

Drove my 48 Lincoln conv coupe to my Moms to take her out to lunch for early Mother's Day.

Car ran great until I was ready to head home, put it in gear and pulled away and after about 50 feet there was a small backfire and then no forward motion.

engine was still running fine but acted like clutch went out but could hear trans gears turning with clutch out and in gear but couldn't go anywhere.

i would have expected a load pop if the U joint would have broke which is what I am hoping,

weird not to hear any noise.

anyone ever have this happen?

that 75 mile tow ride home wasn't that much fun.

Does the Lincoln have the drive shaft coupler from the drive shaft to the pinion gear, like the Fords? If so, the pin that holds the coupler in place could have sheared. Raise the car on a frame contact lift and use a screwdriver to listen where the drive-shaft -pinon junction is while the engine is running and the car is in gear. You will hear the clicking of the broken pin.

Mssr. Bwatoe did nail it. The clicking near the hub indicates a broken axle. Removing the hubs is not a big deal if you use the reproduction KRW tool.

The axle may have broken due to wear on the bearing surface of the axle housing. Be sure to check the underside of the axle housing when you grease the rear wheel bearings. Wear on the housings bearing surface causes the axle to flex and eventually break. The axle shaft taper and the drum taper should be clean and grease free before assembly. Use Sta-lube SL-3131 or equivalent heavy duty drum brake grease for the bearings. This grease sticks to the rollers and reduces wear. The bearings should be re-packed every 10,000 miles.

I suggest that you remove the skirts and remove both rear drums..they seize on the end of the tapered axle tip and may not 

come off without a puller...( puller, keys and axles are virtually identical to  ford v-8).. if axle is broken, the drum will slide off, bringing the axle 

with it...remember the brake shoes may restrict movement a bit..wiggle and pull..

If axle if broken, you have to perform some rear end disassembly..

Start with driverside, then cut lock wire and remove ring gear which give access to pass side...

study pics..Lincoln did not service this but replaced as an assembly..but google banjo ford rear and you will

see lots of pics... Search this forum, I posted a bunch of columbia photos..which is just a standard rear end with 

more stuff added ( This is my axle as I tore it down..sorry about the offensive wire Mr Beltfed)

This is what you find when you remove left side..cut wire, remove bolts and out comes axle..

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Thanks for the tips Mssr. Bwatoe.

Got both sides apart today, glad I have a hub puller. Found the passenger side axle broke right even with axle housing. So now to call Merv Adkins and see if he has a pair, never hurts to have spares.

Mssr. Bwatoe, No offense taken. It is after all, your car.

19tom40 or anyone, You have me thinking. How does one check the axle housing for wear? I have my rear drums off and it would be a good time to check them. Thanks.

The only way I know of to check the axles for cracks would be X-ray or magnaflux, both would require taking the axles out. There is a dye kit for checking for cracks but it would only show any at the hub end, that is where mine broke.

19tom40 stated it was wear at the bearing surface of the axle housing. I believe I have seen repair sleeves for that situation. I would think that a wire feeler gauge or something like it would be used to see how much 'slop' in between the axle and bearing surface or pulling the axle and micing the bearing surface. I'll make it a point to check with Jack Smith, a 100 point early Ford builder, if someone doesn't chime in. If v12lincoln finds the axle I would think he would want to check housing bearing surface before installing the new axle.

Contact Merv Adkins phone number is 909-224-8562, I called him and he has some axles ready to go, he wants 250 for a pair. I got lucky and found a nice pair on eBay for 100 plus shipping.

I have no slop in axle to bearing surface just checked, Sacramento vintage ford sells the repair sleeves pretty cheap.

My axle broke right behind the key, only thing that kept the wheel from coming off was about 3/4" of the taper, it was on tight enough I still had to use the puller to get it off.

In most cases, it is very obvious that the housings are worn. You can see the wear marks and pitting on the underside of the housing. I suppose that you could slide the bearing over the housing and look for play. There  are sleeves that can be pressed on after the housing is turned on a lathe. I suggest that you buy them from

http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/Pages/default.aspx

They are the correct harness and last, unlike some of the others sold.

You can also ask him if he has wear tolerance for the housings and bearings. Bearings are also becoming a problem, the replacements seem to be made in China and they tend to disintegrate in less than 5,000 miles.

V12 Lincoln was lucky in that the axle, drum and wheel did not come off and destroy the skirts and fender. Speedway motors sells drum retainers for the Fords, but I don't believe they will fit the Lincoln.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=drum%20retainer&facet=GA_Sema_Part:Drum%20Brake%20Backing%20Plates

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I had time to get the diff back together, the axles I bought were the long ones( I forget the measurement) but I belive343/4".

When installed the right side didn't come out as far as the left so the brake drum won't go on like it should, any have this problem?

Also found a huge groove in the face of the brake drum that butts up to the axle housing. Will this have any adverse affect as the drum should ride on the axle and bearing once I figure out what I did wrong with the assembly of the axles.

Please chime in if you have ever had one of these differentials apart. They are nothing like the newer diffs

The difference may be attributed to the fit of the ring gear and pinion...something you can't adjust. My own '48 also has what seems like a "short" axle on the right side but the drum fully seats on the axle taper and torques up to the full 250 ft/lbs without any drag or interference with the axle housing. The "groove" you describe may provide the clearance needed for the drum to fully seat on the axle shaft?