1948 Chrysler Windsor sedan chrome

Guest markrush

Guest markrush

I have3 related questions about the chrome on my 1948 Chrysler sedan:

1) Is all the trim on my car chrome, or is any of it stainless steel?

2) What do you recommend as far as polishing compounds for chrome and/or stainless go?

3) How does one go about replacing glass, and replacing , or restoring the chrome trim around the four wing windows (the trim that is attached to the glass itself)? Can this be detached and rechromed when new glass is installed? How? By heat gun?

1) The bumpers/guards, turn signal surrounds, taillights, brake light, grille/fender whiskers, hood ornament,door handles, windshield divider bar are chrome. Most of the trim I mentioned is pot metal.

The rest of the trim - window surrounds, rear fender spears, etc is stainless.

2) I use either Mothers chrome polish or (I think) Turtle Wax chrome polish. Works well. I sometimes use the finest steel wool available (0000 ?) to polish and remove the tough stuff and then you can buff the pieces using rouge and a buffing wheel.

3) The vent window chrome can be removed but the vent windows need to be removed first. I believe there are 2 screws that anchor the chrome piece. Using a heat gun could be helpful in removing the glass from the piece as there is adhesive in the channel to hold it in place.

If you need any trim pieces I have a parts car. Just let me know