Sign in to follow this  
DAVES89

Lurkers

I like Renogy mono panels but just have two 100 watters to keep the two GC2s up. Since the fridge can run on propane and need either shore power or use a generator to run the AC (would need about 20 panels and a heck of an inverter to run to run the AC from solar and it is only a 13.5, home has a 4 ton unit. Possible but even at $1.50/watt gets expensive fast).

Have always thought a solar car was possible but with current technology would need to pull about a 40 foot flatbed behind to have room for enough panels...

This thread is drifting, but what the heck. Several cars have optional rooftop solar panels now including Prius, Leaf, some German cars, and notably the now defunct Fiskar. The main thing they do with them is run a fan to keep the car cool while it is parked. I think Fiskar was the only one to actually try to add power to traction batteries, but they would be lucky to get a free mile or two a day while parked in direct sunlight.

It has often been said that you cannot believe what you read on the Internet.

The statement by Mike R that I am essentially out of the parts business is a classic example.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

While it is true that Mike, Steve and Marck are not on my Christmas card list I am 100% available for parts.

I do want to thank Mike though, for allowing me to remind folks that I am available for quality parts at reasonable prices and you only pay the actual cost of shipping with no "handling" charges.

I have not been on the forum much in the last several months because after 41 years in the same location I moved and moved all my parts cars and all my parts.

Jim,

I certainly meant no ill will here.

I based my comments on posts you had previously made here in the forum about your move, that you would no longer be buying parts cars, and when the parts you had in stock were gone, you were out of the parts business. I was not aware that you had a change of heart, and were buying more parts cars. again, no harm was intended.

as far as any parts sellers charging "handling" charges, I am not aware of anyone who does that, or ever has. everyone I know charges whatever the actual shipping costs are and nothing else.

Mike Rukavina

buickreattaparts.com

Guest my3buicks

As far as Reatta values, I personally know of 3 convertibles that have sold for $18K, $22K, and $28K so value can be there for the RIGHT cars. So $25K for a pristine convertible is not out of the question.

Mike,

No ill will received and as I mentioned, thank you for allowing me to remind folks I am still around since I hadn't been posting too much. That will change now that we are settled in our new location.

I just got back home from Mazatlan and now have lots of catching up to to with emails and shipping parts so I was wondering if you could take the time to do a quick search and let me know where I made those statements. I don't remember posting that I was going out of business.

Nothing in my post was meant to comment on others folks practices but simply to point out that any parts I ship are of the highest quality ( if not the part will be described as to any defects ), reasonable prices, ( meaning I try and sell the parts at what I think most folks should pay for a part ) and that when someone gets a part from me there will be no hidden charges, ( unless stated in the direct correspondence, eg extra time in boxing up large items )

Quality, value and always a guarantee.

Jim

Jim,

I certainly meant no ill will here.

I based my comments on posts you had previously made here in the forum about your move, that you would no longer be buying parts cars, and when the parts you had in stock were gone, you were out of the parts business. I was not aware that you had a change of heart, and were buying more parts cars. again, no harm was intended.

as far as any parts sellers charging "handling" charges, I am not aware of anyone who does that, or ever has. everyone I know charges whatever the actual shipping costs are and nothing else.

Mike Rukavina

buickreattaparts.com

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Heya guys,

Mike Rukavina let me know that I had been mentioned here... For the record, I didn't "get mad and leave." By the time of my departure, I was only visiting the forums to perform my moderating duties. I had read every single post in the Reatta forum(s) up until then, and there wasn't any information I was gaining from my participation. My approach to moderating, more or less "hands off," was not appreciated by the larger administrative team from the AACA, who had no patience for the drama that would erupt here from time to time. As they saw it, I was not fulfilling my duties adequately. Upon Padgett's receipt of moderator status, my backend access was turned off, and I was no longer under any obligation to monitor the forums.

I still have my '88 Reatta, though it's been sitting in storage for well over a year and isn't registered or insured. I'm currently obsessed with my '00 Honda Insight, which truth be told, "ruined" all my other cars for me. I routinely get over 70MPG, and even having the car about three years now, I'm still getting better at driving it. It has a 5-speed, digital dash, and is perhaps the most engaging ride I've ever owned. Every time I get behind the wheel, it's an opportunity to get a new "high score." :D

Having participated in the forums for so long, I really feel like I've learned everything there is to learn about the Reatta, and to be clear, I bear no animosity towards the AACA, or towards anyone on the Reatta forum. I was just not a good philosophical or personality fit with the larger administration and moderating staff, who I was frequently at odds with behind the scenes.

My current obsession:

10750478_10203780301246828_5452535374112891330_o_zpsjr6esjyr.jpg

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

It's cyclical. I don't post as much as I used to because don't have as much to offer as those with more time. It's also due to the fact I quit the BCA because of the crap attitude the "leaders" had at the South Bend Nationals. (70.00 for a meal I never got. The excuse: "you don't come to these very often, do you? If you did you would know not to be late" ). I don't need to participate in the threads that tell me how to spend $500.00 to win a $3.00 trophy.

It's cyclical. I don't post as much as I used to because don't have as much to offer as those with more time. It's also due to the fact I quit the BCA because of the crap attitude the "leaders" had at the South Bend Nationals. (70.00 for a meal I never got. The excuse: "you don't come to these very often, do you? If you did you would know not to be late" ). I don't need to participate in the threads that tell me how to spend $500.00 to win a $3.00 trophy.

I've never stayed for the meal. I use the time waiting for the meal and the awards presentation to get my a$$ home. I am in sales and sat through way too many awards meetings to sit through something I don't have any desire to win. I am surprised there wasn't enough food as I am sure there are many who think like I do and not attend the meal.

Guest my3buicks

Vincent, while the BCA uses the AACA Buick section as their forum, this Reatta forum is the AACA's property, not the BCA's, so there is no reason that it should be an issue with you -even though that is a weak issue or reason to not participate in a forum because you are pissed off you missed dinner.

All I can say is that all parts dealers for Reatta parts are NOT equal. That's why people send PMs to each other when buying. I can't tell you what I was sent by one seller for a set of wheels. 4 pieces of junk sent after numerous delays. Yes they were junk.

Now most sellers are up front and honest that's why I order from those sellers.

Edited by gkhashem (see edit history)

Rawja, you've got me interested in the Insight now. I've been looking at them all day, and they're cooler than I thought seeing them in passing. Mind if I ask how they do in inclement weather conditions?

As for parts vendors, I have bought from Reatta Parts West, East Coast Reatta Parts, the Reatta Store, Jim Finn, and I believe I bought some obscure part from Barney Eaton as well. Not to mention many private transactions. All are vendors I can recommend, all of course at differing price points and different parts. Even the best sellers have some negative reviews and those are often the loudest. Right now I've found a local seller with a storage unit FULL of approximately 3 Reattas worth of stuff and he's giving me excellent prices on driver condition parts.

Back on topic though, I feel like we forget from time to time that we all have a common reason for being here. We all love our Reattae, and regardless of who's making money and who's got show cars, drivers, frankenreattas, etc. we are all keeping a really interesting car on the road. People get angry and refuse to post, people lurk out of fear of being judged or because they are intimidated by all the ultra low mile beauties, but at the end of the day, the people here are knowledgeable and friendly. By the way, despite owning 2 high mile common Red/Tan coupes, I love reading the debates over original equipment, rare options, etc.

Vincent, while the BCA uses the AACA Buick section as their forum, this Reatta forum is the AACA's property, not the BCA's, so there is no reason that it should be an issue with you -even though that is a weak issue or reason to not participate in a forum because you are pissed off you missed dinner.

Lurker: Point taken on the AACA vs. BCA. I've been a member of the forum for a while. While it used to be informative, it just doesn't have much new content to offer me any more.

BCA: I'm not pissed off because I "Missed Dinner". I'm pissed off by the way the a-hole in charge treated my wife and I. I pre-paid 70.00 for two meals. The "BBQ" dinner was to be served over two hours. We arrived an hour after it started and there was nothing left except scraps. The guy in charge was flat out rude and condescending. We left shortly after that exchange. That was my fourth and last BCA Nationals Event. You seem like a great candidate for a BCA officer position.

Lurker: Point taken on the AACA vs. BCA. I've been a member of the forum for a while. While it used to be informative, it just doesn't have much new content to offer me any more.

Since you have been here so long - much longer than me - I assume you have learned a lot from the forum about the Buick Reatta. Although coming here no longer has much new that you can learn, why not hang out with us and use your knowledge to help others who come here seeking help with their problems? The same could be said for Rawja. He said he has learned all he can about the Buick Reatta and no longer finds reason to come here. I'm sure that sharing information with others who need help will make you guys feel just as good as learning something new would.

BCA: I would be pissed too if I was treated the way you and your wife were treated. There is no reason you shouldn't be treated with respect.

Since you have been here so long - much longer than me - I assume you have learned a lot from the forum about the Buick Reatta. Although coming here no longer has much new that you can learn, why not hang out with us and use your knowledge to help others who come here seeking help with their problems? The same could be said for Rawja. He said he has learned all he can about the Buick Reatta and no longer finds reason to come here. I'm sure that sharing information with others who need help will make you guys feel just as good as learning something new would.

BCA: I would be pissed too if I was treated the way you and your wife were treated. There is no reason you shouldn't be treated with respect.

That's correct many clubs have a FEW members who somehow get on a power trip and think they are some big deal.

If what you are saying is correct and dinner was for 2 hours someone should have stepped in and obtained you and your wife some food, some how at the expense of the BCA. It should have been handled in a polite manner. So was the BBQ a self serve affair? If so, I bet some people made hogs of themselves at your expense.

That's too bad. Then they act like your wrong, so wrong they are.

As far as parts sellers go no issue with price you can always say no. It's when you are sent junk, hard to say no when you open the box and they have your money. Trust me there are a few junk sellers who talk a good game, but sell junk. And yes some of them are probably reading this thread. They may remember me, maybe not since they probably taken advantage of so many they forget, but I certainly remember them.

I guess the old codger who sits on his front porch watching folks go bye all day could be considered a "lurker" as well.

After all, he rarely even waves, he just sits there watching.

Just sayin',

I find the forum an interesting place to "lurk". Sometimes many of us just don't have very much to say, and, as some have mentioned, most things Reatta have been said before. In fact, I have noticed that many a new person will innocently ask a question and will be brusquely told to do a search. I would feel a bit intimidated about asking a question for that reason. I am fortunate in that my Reatta, although it's a high-mileage unit, just keeps on showing "no malfunctions" (I touch wood as I type this), so I just drive it every few weeks. I'm looking forward to taking it up to Whistler in a few weeks and I think I'll go to the Puyallup All-Buick meet down in Washington State in June. "Lurking" isn't all that bad.

This is where the hopefully temporary GM attempt to control information really hurts. One of the things I had posted was a .pdf excerpt of the "Cranks but does not run" portionof the service manual.

I have trouble with the SEARCH myself but was handy to be able to just say "See section 6E page 10 in the '89 FSM".

Guest my3buicks

It sounds like the formum is going through a major update on Monday with upgrades and changes, hopefully the search function will be one of the areas that will be improved.

In fact, I have noticed that many a new person will innocently ask a question and will be brusquely told to do a search. I would feel a bit intimidated about asking a question for that reason.

Maybe I'm making new members feel uncomfortable and reluctant to post when I point them to a tutorial on ROJ to answer their question instead of rehashing it here in the forum. Me doing that might have the same effect as telling them to do a search.

It might be in the best interest of the forum for me to stop doing that and and become a Lurker so other members can answer the question as if it was a new question that hasn't been answered before. I don't mind doing that but it defeats the original reason I built ROJ. I built it to make answers to common questions easy to find in a structured way.

Ronnie you provide a "link" that all they have to do is hit. It would be different if you told them to go looking. You're doing fine...

Ronnie, I see no issue with doing that. I have done so too. The big issues are that the search function of the present forum software is not especially intuitive. Second is some people are just lazy.

It couldn't be easier to click a link to an existing explanation of a problem someone is asking about, and yet that appears to be too much effort for some. This is a common problem with all online forums, there are always some users who will expend no effort and just want things handed to them. Really, that is just human nature.

Best just to offer a link and leave the ball in their court. Unless you really enjoy rehashing a problem in detail for the 100th time. We are all here on our own time and there is no obligation to expend mountains of effort to humor those who cannot be bothered to look at the existing vast knowledge that has been shared here. Yes, it takes time to look through archived material. So what? It is free for the taking after all.

In the words of Archie Bunker "you can lead a gift horse to the water but you can't look in it's mouth".

KDirk