Judging Undercoating

Ron Green

I have a 55 Pontiac which was awarded a junior at Hershey in 97 and a senior at Hershey in 98. The car has also recieved 2 POCI gold awards. The POCI gives you copies of the judging scores after the meet and the car got a 1 point deduction for excessive undercoating. I am taking the car to the Grand National Meet and was wondering how the AACA stood on how much and where not to have undercoating in regards to gas tank, rear axle, brake cables, wheel wells, bolt heads, etc. I have documention that Pontiac dealers did install undercoating but who is to say how much and where and what it may have been sprayed on. I am sure that back then as is today they were not to careful. Any help will be appreciated!

Two questions need to be answered:<BR>First- Did the manufacturer apply undercoating at the factory? You apparently have documented that Pontiac dealers did this, but AACA judges based on "as the car came from the factory" not "as the car came from the dealer". <BR>Second, and this is more difficult than the first - At what point in the manufacturing process was the undercoating applied? On some lines the undercoating was applied to the body before certain components were installed and those components would not have undercoating.

I have a copy of the Factory 1955 Pontiac Package Accessory Price List (2nd addition 02/01/55) which states "Dealer Confidential". This gives the group #, part #, code, dealer net price, suggested price, model # and all years prior to 1955 the accessories will fit. This list has 2 differant types of undercoating with one being a water base type. Under the code for these which is a AFS it states "order from Accessory Sales Department". It does not state where the undercoating was installed, however my guess (and only a guess) it was installed at the dealer and is a Factory Accessory bought from the factory the same as a compass, spotlight, etc. which does not result in point deductions for these type of accessories? My car chassis only had a 1 point deduction at the POCI National Convention so it is not to hogged up. POCI rules are similiar to AACA and I am sure each judge has a differant opinion on this. If my car is going to get a lot of points deducted for undercoating I would like to go to the POCI National Convention 2000 instead of the AACA Grand Nationals which this year are held on the same day. In my opinion the AACA has much better judging then POCI which sometimes are short on experinced judges at their National Convention however they gennerally do a good job. Thanks RG

Sounds like good documentation to me. Take it with you and if there is any question show it to the Team Captain. Without actually seeing the car and documentation and taking your description at face value, I doubt if there would be a significant point deduction for undercoating. And thanx for good comments about AACA judging. We try our darndest to be accurate and fair.

• 2 weeks later...

Can the judges legally look upward to see the bottom of the body or can they look only horizontal when they inspect under the car? I will be having my car judged soon and I am curious. My car was unercoated at the dealer.

Gene,<BR>The judges are asked not to crawl completely under the vehicle. It is recommended that they view the underside chassis' leaning on one knee. Experiment yourself in doing that and you may answer your own questions of what they may or may not see. Remember, some judges can get down further on one knee more than others.<BR>Rick

• 2 weeks later...

The judges are instructed to be on one knee when judging the undercarriage and therefore woudl eliminate the possibility of that type of close judging that you mentioned. AACA is differs in regards to undercarriage judging to some marque clubs such as Mustang Club of America. When my 66 GT was judges in trailer concours at teh MCA Nationals, they actually crawled under the car and stayed there for about 10-15 minutes - needless to say it was very intense judging.<P>