Rita – 64 Riviera build

3 hours ago, coOverwatch said:

New shop, WITH HEAT!!!!, is scheduled to be built in the next two months. No more excuses that it is too cold to do any work. Just have to figure out the layout. Right now it is 40 x60. Need enough room for a few cars/trucks to be worked on at the same time and a lift.

Shop sounds great! But from experience, I would suggest making it twice as big as what you think right now you will need. It will fill up really quick! :)

• 3 months later...

Update.

got fed up with work so I decided to retire. :)

going to spend my time tinkering with cars and trucks now, maybe a little programming on the side to keep up with technology.

new shop is underway (40 x 60). it was scheduled to be done last week but someone forgot to order the insulation. should be done by the end of next week.

lift will go in next week, then moving everything over from the old shop to the new one.

Riviera was on hold while I painted a 69 VW wagon. Proceeds from this project allowed me to pick up a 68 Pontiac leMans. :)

I have the new floor panels cut and just about fit. needs a little tweaking under the rear seat section. Working on a revised schedule for the Riviera so I can try and get this done by Xmas.

once the floors are done I can move to the body work and get the engine and trans back in.

ashop1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

got the floor out of the parts car this weekend. trying to figure out if I am going to replace the whole floor or cut it into two patch panels leaving the drive line tunnel in place. not sure which is going to be the easiest. will be welding in the front floor section today. want to do this before I cut into the rear section.

question:  were there seat belts in the back seats for the 64? I don't have any mounts in the floors I was going to replace, but the parts car has one  installed. think it was added by someone.

shop is almost completed. would be nice if the builder learned how to run a tap measure. shorted me on the insulation and when he ordered more he didn't order enough.

lift goes in this Friday.. yahoo.

floor panel.jpg

floor removed.jpg

floor to remove.jpg

shop 1.jpg

shop 2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Geeez...I'm not only jealous of your future workshop and land space, but your pace of working on your Rivi!  Throwing in new components, painting this and that...slow down...I'm starting to feel inadequate with my project!

Keep up the good work...looking forward to end result.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

figure I would through out a quick update. found out that the builder for the shop did not pull permits and short poured the foundation. Had to pour dead man blocks to bring things up to code. 14 of these blocks that are 4'x'4x8'. this is to keep the post from kicking out as the footer around the shop was only 18" deep. not even deep enough for the frost line. Anyway fix is in place and electrical is underway and hoping to be completed before xmas.

Nice thing about this is the local Kubota deal lent me a backhoe for a week to dig the holes at no charge. we were in looking at a skid and they wanted to help out, no strings attached.(ended up getting the skid)

still need to finish up the rear floor in the Riv. this should complete the rust repairs and then on to block sanding. might switch the front over to disc breaks. have not decided yet.

also need to pull the air/heater box to clean that out.

• 6 months later...

been a little while between posts and thought I would catch this up.

shop is pretty much done. had go back and torque all the bolts down along with the Dead Man Blocks. in the hands of the attorney now to get the added cost back.

Floor is now welded in. need to seem seal it all. had some additional rust to take care of on the fenders. bad stuff cut out and new stuff shaped and welded in. a little bit if filler and some sanding and these will be ready for Epoxy Primer.

still have a little rust in the Rear Window channel that needs some attention. will do that after I pull the heater core. seems it was leaking

fender1.jpg.2d51a74cecc3c32649f0d4e75e02b3ba.jpg

fender2.jpg.c6b19bd7b13705b3290544ac464cdf5e.jpg

fendertrim1.jpg.4bc4e1e1c051f8fda743d183a20f9480.jpg

FenderTrim2.jpg.dfd7ed6f3ed9b264ecaee7c48c57173d.jpg

FenderTrim3.jpg.56710152aaabf6b4bfa5d662a070a9be.jpg

FenderTrim4.jpg.c6e50afd2fa304d970c6a375ef997cb8.jpg

FenderTrim5.jpg.b6c5eb9c8dfb41f635af56628bba5769.jpg

Figure now is a good time to clean out the Heater/AC box. Once the cover was off I could see that the Heater Core will need to be replaced or repaired.

It only took two days to pull the dash, AC box, and heater cover out. boy this would have been even more fun if the windshield was installed.

found out that the Heater core froze and bulged. I hope this can be repaired as I have yet to find a new one.

I do have another heater core in the parts car but don't really want to go threw removing that one too as the car is full of soot from the flood a few years ago. 

HeaterCore1.jpg.7cece2cc2adacba4fbf9d34aaf48baa2.jpg

HeaterCore2.jpg.b55d3aabf2638a4d5733ea04eab5462a.jpg

HeaterCore3.jpg.9060260c7028bb92e1047d99e63f9717.jpg

thanks for the info. I found a shop local that said they could re-core it to factory specs. Hope they are right.

if not I have another in a parts car. just don't want to bother with all the soot that is in the car.

Trying to get it ready to take to Hot Aug Night in Reno. not sure it will be 100% at this time.

• 9 months later...

Hi all, Back on the Riviera again. Going to push to get it done for Hot August Nights in Reno. have to finish running new wire on a 66GMC then it is all about getting the Riv done!

Got the Vintage Air and cut a panel to smooth out the firewall. will be getting it fit in the next few days.

have a little bit of body work left to do then split the body from the frame and paint. Also getting ready to fire up the rebuilt 425 to make sure that is all good to go.

will post up some pics later today.

Question??? does anyone do remanufactured bumpers or the finned turn signal molding? I have a few pairs of these but all are bent or broken. want to get that going now so I have enough time.