hood louver thermostats

Each hood thermostat in my 1935 Lincoln is shot due to a leak of the original fluid. Can anyone tell me how to restore these? In particular, exactly what type internal fluid is used ?? Thanks, pre10

For a time,Buick used the "Pines" winterfront which controllrd the shutters on the front of the radiator. Often,the "Big-Three"used the same supplier on some specialty items. It might be a long shot,but look at the units to see if they are "Pines",and if so,Bob'S Automobilia could probably probably have them rebuilt for you. Ralph Crisp

Guest stude8

I know that the mechanical engine water temperature gauges use a sensing element that contain Ether. The Ether has a great amount of expansion for temperature rise and this expansion is exerted on what is called the "Diastat" or diaphragm that moves the instrument needle in the gauge end through a small capillary tube. The radiator shutters on my 1930 Studebaker were a one year experience that they abandoned and went back to normal water flow thermostats afterward. The big "Motor" device was called the Fulton Syphon thermostat motor. The big problem was it had a lot of energy and when the shutters developed excess friction from rust or damage or even ice in Winter the shutters stood still and the thermo ripped itself out of the upper radiator tank or least broke a seam or two. Skinned Knuckles publisher Bill Cannon once gave the procedure to refill the Ether thermos on your kitchen stove by heating the unit in boiling water then submerging the inlet tube in cold Ether which is drawn in as the heated thermo cools.<BR>When refilled you solder thr tube shut. Theoretically this process would work on the radiator motors if you had found and repaired the point of leakage that allowed the Ether to escape from it in the first place. Stude8