Upgrades anyone?

Guest Decon

Looking for information on possible upgrades so any part numbers, links and websites on them would be greatly appreciated.

Ignition coil upgrade?

Best exaust size? The original has been patched many times

Biger brakes?

Computer tuning?

Suspension? Lowering, poly bushings, coilovers

Guest PontiacDude210

Keep the stock size, replace or delete the cat, and go with a camaro single into dual muffler. The sound is killer.

Convert to the Delco ignition and you can get Accel or MSD coils.

You can convert the brakes to larger Camaro discs, just search here.

Lowering has been a non option so far. Theoretically you could use the El Dorado front lowering kit that used to exist back in the day. The rear would be way more complicated.

There's not much to tune with the stock 3.8. Not a lot of hot performance options either. That doesn't mean the previously mentioned modifications can't still be fun.

Cat delete will be easy dont have to wory about emissions. On the camero muffler what year would be the best to get. And is there a post to swap to a delco ignition

Guest PontiacDude210

I'm running a late 90s? Camaro aftermarket muffler universal in/out mounted sideways like the original with an outlet on either side and a cat delete. Most of the original cats are plugged.

I've got the ICM out if a 92 olds 3.8 with MSDs. Search function or the ROJ should help with the ignition conversion.

Thanks. If im thinking right the rear muffler layout i could use a rear resonater from a 1973 opel gt since the exaust entered on the right side and then dualled straight out the back

Keep the stock size, replace or delete the cat, and go with a camaro single into dual muffler. The sound is killer.

You can convert the brakes to larger Camaro discs, just search here.

2000-2002 12"camaro front brakes will completely bolt on,but the reatta wheels won't clear them.

There's not much to tune with the stock 3.8. Not a lot of hot performance options either. That doesn't mean the previously mentioned modifications can't still be fun.

if your handy you can bolt in a supercharged 3.8.wiring it up is the problem.

Guest PontiacDude210
Upgrades no, modifications yes.

Or you can enjoy the best of both worlds. I have one stock coupe and one modified. I love my sunroof coupe with the flashy bolt ons, loud exhaust and sound system, but my other 90 coupe is just awesome to drive. it's quiet, rides smooth, and looks great original. My sunroof coupe was too far gone to ever be original again.

Well biger brakes are an upgrade from facroy ones, especially when i go to the mountains. Free flow exaust better sound and slight increase in performance, coil swap to msd better spark and fuel burn better reliability. Those are upgrades

Modifications would be take pre existing bezels for gauges, console, and door parts using the mounting hardware from them and make carbon fiber replacement. Also removing body molding a smoothing out would be a modification

Guest my3buicks

Those are modifications, anything other than how the car came from the factory is a modification. There's nothing wrong with doing modifications But call an ace and a spade a spade.

mod·i·fi·ca·tion

ˌmädəfəˈkāSH(ə)n/

noun

noun: modification

the action of modifying something.

"the parts supplied should fit with little or no modification"

synonyms: softening, moderation, tempering, qualification

"the modification of his views"

a change made.

plural noun: modifications

"there will be a number of modifications to the engines"

synonyms: alteration, adjustment, change, adaptation, refinement, revision More

up·grade

verb

verb: upgrade; 3rd person present: upgrades; past tense: upgraded; past participle: upgraded; gerund or present participle: upgrading

ˈəpˌɡrād,ˌəpˈɡrād/

raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.

"the cost of upgrading each workstation is around $300"

synonyms: improve, modernize, update, bring up to date, make better, ameliorate, reform; More

antonyms: downgrade

raise (an employee) to a higher grade or rank.

synonyms: promote, give a promotion, elevate, move up, raise

"he was upgraded to a seat in the cabinet"

antonyms: demote

noun

noun: upgrade; plural noun: upgrades

ˈəpˌɡrād/

an act of upgrading something.

an improved or more modern version of something, especially a piece of computing equipment.

Guest my3buicks

How about this, those "upgrades" would be considered "modifications" if you happened to have the cars judged which I doubt will happen. But that's how the terminology works in the collector world. As I said there is nothing wrong with doing upgrades and modifications, but don't expect those that are the more purists in the hobby to change set terminology to go along with your whims.

I'm not in the judging world or the Webster it is that I get tired of people trying to correct me. I go towards performance so my direction would be upgrade. I never plan on being judged on my car. So honestly I was never wanting to be a collector I just wanted to improve the car

if your handy you can bolt in a supercharged 3.8.wiring it up is the problem.

It is cheaper, more reliable just to swap the engine than try to bolt a supercharger on the ln3 motor.

On an other note I have pretty much every part one would need to rebuild the ln3 into a series one supercharged engine.

All some one would need to find would be the intake manifold and the power steering bracket. Shipping would be expensive but it would be an engine with less than 30k on it. Also many of the gaskets are with it plus new ARP rod bolts. I had kept it all for a friend after I did my series three swap then they sold their Reatta. If I do not get rid of the parts soon they will be going to scrap. I also have a transmission for the 88-90 modle with the same 30k but that may be too costly to ship out of here.

With lowering the rear of the car I was wondering if anyone has tried to flip the transverse leaf spring. Only reason why I am asking is because that is how I lowered the front of my 73 opel gt when I had it

• 2 years later...