Brake light & turn signal light option for early vehicle - 6 Volt

Jrbrks

I am wondering if anyone has a clever option for adding a brake and turn signal light to the passenger side of the early vehicles that have only a single tail light. It would need to be a six volt fixture compatible with a positive ground.

I have a 1929 Franklin Victoria Brougham that I am preparing to re-wire and would like to find an option, e.g. I could possible mount a thin rectangular light between the bars of the rear bumper.

I would like to find something that would not be too apparent when the car is sitting and does not look like an inexpensive or cheap trailer light.

I am wondering what approach others on this board have taken?

Thank you

Jim

If you are handy, you can replace the socket for a single filament bulb in an existing housing with one for a dual filament. Then find a tail light housing that is similar to the one you have and wire them up. Same thing if you have running lights in the front and want turn signals there, too. Use bulbs with high candlepower but avoid LED bulbs in old housings - they don't look right and don't send the light to the lenses correctly. Something like an 1158 bulb would be OK. It has a BA15d base.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what Dad did for our two cars. Not sure they are motorcycle but he found them at swap meets and used 6 volt bulbs. The Overland has a somewhat common pointed plastic yellow lens unit he bolted on at the fender joint due to no bumper and the Whippet has a white flat lens that might be motorcycle but doesn't look too out of place under the headlights. There are turn signal controls that are 6 volt out there as cars had to have them added in the 50's when signals became mandatory.

post-36036-143142985752_thumb.jpg

While signals definately help, sadly you still need to be cautious of the "all too in a hurry aggressive driver" in his modern land rocket who decides to pass you after deciding not to wait. I almost lost the Whippet that way when having the turn signal on to make a left. Seems he was in too big a hurry (in a residential area) to notice.....

Happy motoring.

AND...

As to the brake light, on the Whippet which originally had only the one light like your Franklin, he found another tail light, refit the sockets with dual for turn signal and brake lights and mounted it on the other side. Unfortunately it is a bit higher due to the step plate mounting but better than nothing and holds the date correct license plate.

post-36036-143142985775_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Thank you for the replies.

I am wondering if the LED bulbs can be used, as I will be replacing the wiring harness soon.

Or, are there other creative options or approaches to adding the second brake lite and turn signals?

Mine is a 1929 Franklin 135 Victoria that carries the spare tire on a rear mount.

Jim

Why not get another lite that matches the left one for the right side as your left lite has two bulbs in it , one is tail lite the other is brake lite.

First you need a seven wire turn signal lite switch and a separate brake lite wire to the right brake lite, on the  front if you have side lites change the bulbs to two filament.

Instructions come with the swith

Al

In the rear, I just bought a couple of the small turn signal lights (p/n ELE129) from Restoration Supply Company (http://www.restorationstuff.com/), got the 6V replacement bulbs and mounted them to my spring bumpers using these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unity-USA-Made-Fog-Light-Brackets-Mounts-To-Bumper-Irons-Antique-2-/281125022844?hash=item41745b6c7c:g:N1MAAOxyNmZTkOQt&vxp=mtr

s-l500.jpg

Paint the brackets or buy the plated ones, clamp to the bumper and good to go.  Also easy to remove if you are concerned about points judging an original car.

You can get small bullet style lights to use for turn signals that fit on your bumpers. Might have to make a bracket to fit your situation. They are small and almost look period. When I had my wire harness made up I had an additional break lite wire run so I could put a temporary 3rd break lite up in the back window. Although for me it is a 2nd break lite.  They are sold that are 6 volt LED and have suction cups that mount to the back window. If you go to a show, you just remove the lite for exhibition. Then put in back on and plug it in for driving.

I recall that in the early 60''s every once in awhile a Model "A" would show up at the local; meet that had a right side tail light. The owner said that Pennsylvania required two tail lights back in the 20's and 30's. Not sure if this was correct or not, but if it was there should be a right side tail light available. Our 1933 Pierce Arrow had a right side set of lights.

Thank you for the great responses.

I genuinely appreciate this.

I will be crafting a replacement wiring harness, and this will help to plan properly.

I will look into the various options to determine my best course.

Thanks,

Jim

I have a 1930 DeSoto CK6 which came with 1 rear tail light and 2 front fender parking lights (miniature head lights) The tail light had a double filament bulb for lights and brake. I fabricated a mirror image mounting bracket for a rear right tail light and bought a column mounted signal light control with a 6 volt flasher. With the help of a couple of 6volt relays, I control the front fender lights. If the parking lights are on, the relays flash them off when the signals operate, and when the parking lights are off, the relays flash them on when the signals operate. I am not sure whether LED bulbs would work, as they may not create enough of a load to operate the flasher