What is it arond 1920 .

Leif Holmberg

The most notable feature i see is the large headlight, positioned unusually high. I can't see door hinges at the front of the front door, is it a suicide door, or it may just be my interpretation of the picture.

Both features I noticed. Yes, it has suicide doors with four hinges at the rear of the front door. At least, that is what I see. I see the radiator sticks up slightly above the hood like the Minerva and not in line like the Cadillac.

Hi Leif and NZ, Relatively sure it is not a Minerva but no idea yet as to what it is. Minerva would have a fluted bonnet top and fluted rad top. I cannot see either. It just seems a plain 'Germanic' type of tapering-to-front bonnet, The rad on the photo looks very flat fronted so if a Minerva, cannot be later than cca 1914. The car on the photo seems much post WW1, electrics etc. It looks to me as if there is something on the wheel hubs. Can you enlarge hub or look at it with a magnifying glass. Regards Vintman

I can see a 1931 green one ,and a 1937 red-black,far away from the black and white picture.Can`t find any Minervas on this site that are close to the the black and white picture.

Leif in Sweden,

Here is a link from that site. Don't see any disc wheels until 1928 or so. I don't think the photo is a Minerva

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Minerva_vehicles

Thanks Leif, but as you say, enlargement is not much help. We have had a long look at this by various of our sages but have not come up with an answer. We do however seem to be in agreement that we think this is an American car, with possibly an European body. The wheels are detachable discs relatively common optional extra to very early 1920s American cars. The hubs appear to have 12 wheel studs and six detachment lugs, suggesting a larger car. There are a number of American cars with this combination, Lincoln being a typical example. The louvers are of the earlier big type which is close to 1920 as thereafter they get thinner and more numerous. The picture has a number of interesting features, one being that there is no rear passenger door on this side. This assumes rear passengers get in on the left so the car would be right hand drive. The second is that there appears to be a circular aperture on the rear skirt above the running board. There is a similar aperture on a cca 1921 Lincoln. The lights are set high and could be a European feature like the body. The body is all forward of the rear axle which was a very Germanic feature for a while.

So, for the moment, not a great deal further forward! Regards Vintman

The house in the background appears to have shuttered windows (shown closed), which isn't too common in the USA. The exception are some cabins which are not occupied all year. The house appears to be larger than a typical USA cabin. Also, the background of the picture has a Northern European look to it. I think that the car is a European make.

Grandpa

I know it looks a LOT like the Hudson, but the belt lines are doubled on the car in question. The car is definitely a European built car with the right hand drive. The Hudson also has a piano hinge at the door.

If you take the car with the two people and look at the belt line and the hinges as well, and comparing with the first picture ,and then take the wheel from the blue one and put on the car with two guys then you have it I think.The car in Sweden in the first picture is a car built in the beginning of the 1926 Hudson models era I think?.

Leif in Sweden

This`s the original photos of the 2 last Hudson,forgot to tell you that I reversed those photos just to made it easier to compare.What I ment earlier was that the hubs looked the same in the first and the 3d Picture.

Thanks for your help.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143142977438_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143142977441_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143142977443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)