1939 speedo

crusty-coupe

I have seen the question asked many times on a different forum. I and many others on THIS forum ask "why do it"? A six volt system works just fine if properly maintained. If you are keeping the v-12 then you have other problems to deal with like the coils will need ballast resistors plus all the bulbs will have to be changed. Your heater motor (if you have one) will run like crazy for a short time then burn out. With that said, you need voltage reducers which are zeiner diodes. They can be found many places on the Internet.

post-88682-143142962806_thumb.jpgCrusty-coupe,

Thought I would try and give you a better answer. The pic shows a setup for replacing the King-Sealy sensor with a more modern variable resistor type. The problem arises as the current sent to the gauge becomes voltage sensitive thus the need for a regulator, using an original sender will not be an issue. These regulators are very simple to attach to the inside of your dash or back of your gauge. They will regulate a volt or so above output voltage to around 25 to 30 volts so should work fine for a 12 volt system. These devices are polarity sensitive so care should be taken to make sure the heat sink is the same polarity as your ground. I would use them on the fuel, temp., and oil pressure gauges. The amp meter doesn't care.

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

• 3 months later...