Boss 338 wheels on a 1963 Riviera

patrickaturner

I have a 63 Riviera with original drum brakes and considering the Riddler 695, 18x8 rims with 235,55,18 tires for a total height of 28.2”. I believe the original tires were 225,75,15 with a height of 28.3”. Based upon what I’m reading here I should be good with this tire and wheel combo without spacers. True?

I am going to say no, not without spacers. Overall height is OK, but the 63 has the larger center hubs. From what I can find, the center bore diameter on this wheel is 83.82mm, or 3 5/16". I think the larger 63 center hub is 3 3/8 or 3 7/16". You need to check. Front or rear, they are the same. The center bore of the wheel must clear the outside of the hub that sticks out past the face of the drum to seat properly. If the hub is too large, you will need a 1/4" spacer to allow the wheels to seat properly.

Also don't forget lug studs on the drivers side of a 63 are left hand thread. Have to check lug nut availability or change the studs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 4:51 PM, steelman said:

I am going to say no, not without spacers. Overall height is OK, but the 63 has the larger center hubs. From what I can find, the center bore diameter on this wheel is 83.82mm, or 3 5/16". I think the larger 63 center hub is 3 3/8 or 3 7/16". You need to check. Front or rear, they are the same. The center bore of the wheel must clear the outside of the hub that sticks out past the face of the drum to seat properly. If the hub is too large, you will need a 1/4" spacer to allow the wheels to seat properly.

Also don't forget lug studs on the drivers side of a 63 are left hand thread. Have to check lug nut availability or change the studs.

@steelman I found 2 Ridler 695 on Craigslist and the guy let me try them out. They are 18x9.5 with 4.5 back space. The center bore is 3 3/8 and seemed to fit over the 63 drum brake hub. I assume I would be good to go with those for the back. Just need to find some left hand thread lugs and the right tires.

14 minutes ago, Bato65 said:

@steelman I found 2 Ridler 695 on Craigslist and the guy let me try them out. They are 18x9.5 with 4.5 back space. The center bore is 3 3/8 and seemed to fit over the 63 drum brake hub. I assume I would be good to go with those for the back. Just need to find some left hand thread lugs and the right tires.

Left hand lug nuts are pretty common.  Many early Chrysler products used them.  Check JEGS or Summit Racing to see what they have.  You need 1/2 by 20 threads.  4.5 inch back spacing is going to put the inside of the wheel and tire pretty close to the chassis and suspension. Make sure you check the steering with the tires mounted and the car is sitting on the ground, not on a rack.  Go over a curb or two at full lock to check for rub.  I had 225/70R15 tires on factory 6" rims with the factory back spacing on my 63 and my tires rubbed the frame at full lock.

17 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Left hand lug nuts are pretty common.  Many early Chrysler products used them.  Check JEGS or Summit Racing to see what they have.  You need 1/2 by 20 threads.  4.5 inch back spacing is going to put the inside of the wheel and tire pretty close to the chassis and suspension. Make sure you check the steering with the tires mounted and the car is sitting on the ground, not on a rack.  Go over a curb or two at full lock to check for rub.  I had 225/70R15 tires on factory 6" rims with the factory back spacing on my 63 and my tires rubbed the frame at full lock.

@RivNutThanks. I’m hoping I can get away with the 4.5 back spacing on the back, since I buoghtbthose rims. What back spacing would you recommend for the front?

51 minutes ago, Bato65 said:

@RivNutThanks. I’m hoping I can get away with the 4.5 back spacing on the back, since I buoghtbthose rims. What back spacing would you recommend for the front?

It depends on the wheel design.  You'll just have to do a trial fitting.  Really difficult to buy wheels that fit if you're trying to find stuff on Craigslist.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just a FYI I was looking for some 695 ridler wheels and came across this feed for information. Just wanted to give an update on the wheels. I put on 20s on my 63 Rivi with all stock drum brakes but staggered 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear. These didn’t fit snug with center bore so just a heads up you will be needing spacers or have them billed just a bit not to much. Also go with the 0.125 thickness of spacer so you have room for the threads. 

I put some Riddler 695 on my 63 Riv with factory drum brakes. I had the same situation. They didn’t seat snug against the center bore. All I needed was about 1/2 mm. I took a metal router and took 1/2  mm off the top edge of the Riddler and it fit great without spacers.

• Like 1

Your best bet is a local machine shop, but you’ll need to remove the tire. I did it myself because I didn’t take much material off. It was while ago, but I believe I got router bit for Aluminum ( carbide tip) cutting bevel trim 45 degree x 31/32. Check around for other expert advice. Hope that helps.