Sign in to follow this  
mvmautorossa

6 Volt Generator

I am looking for a parts diagram ("exploded view") of a Westinghouse 6 volt generator (with attached regulator). Any leads to link showing a picture, or any other helpful info, would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Bob

Bob; I have a Wells Auto Electrician's handbook with many different electrical schematics of Westinghouse generators and voltage regulators for cars up to 1922. There are no 'exploded' view though. So if this could help, let me know the year and model you are looking for. Regards; Jerry Janson

Jerry -

Thanks for your reply. The Westinghouse generator that I am working on was original equipment in my 1930 Springfield RR Phantom One. The generator has the number 922 stamped on the housing -- and in the RR Owner's Handbook it is referred to as Part # A-9547 (which may be a RR number and not a Westinghouse number?). The regulator is attached to the generator. I am trying to figure out why the generator is not putting out the usual charge -- my ammeter is running slightly negative at normal speed. I am thinking about taking the generator apart to check the brushes; and ideally I would like to have an exploded parts diagram to help me understand how everything comes apart.

Since your book is for cars up to 1922, I don't know whether or not the generators described in the Wells handbook you have would still be the same model(s) sold in 1930. In the meantime, I took a couple of pictures to help you and anyone else looking at this post see just what my generator looks like -- which might be helpful because I am sure that other cars of this era probably also had this type of Westinghouse generator. Again thanks for responding.

Bobpost-88214-143142926041_thumb.jpg

post-88214-143142926033_thumb.jpg

Bob, my book covers up only to frame #760. You need frame #922 as you indicated. I would try the AACA library or the RR owners club. Also, before removing your generator, try removing the black band cover on the right side. It should give you access to the brushes, and the commutator. At this point you should be able to lift the brushes and clean the commutator with a fine sand paper. I just did this to a delco starter generator on an early Cadillac. It had not been charging so I cleaned the commutator and it is again charging properly. Good luck and regards; Jerry Janson

Bob,

In 1929-30 Rolls Royce made their own generator and that is what you have there, not a Westinghouse. I restored them before in the past. I have wiring diagrams, but no exploded view breakdowns. Let me know if I can help you out in any way.

-Jason