Riviera Logo / Script File?

SilverRiv63

Like Ed stated, the old plates were engraved. Up 'till the 90's one could still find a trophy shop with an old school Leroy type engraver and have it done, sin Riviera logo.

The old expired font was similar to "Connected Script". I used to use Leroy lettering, drafting for a telephone company during college break. Remember print shop?

Gone is that human tactile interface. :mellow: Cursive is no longer taught in school. Will the next gen be able to read the plates?

Soon we can print/build a whole Riviera with the touch of buttons. Scary.

Flat-engraving-machine-Presidium-_57.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PWB said:

Gone is that human tactile interface. :mellow: Cursive is no longer taught in school. Will the next gen be able to read the plates?

Kind of off topic but addresses the comment.  When I retired from teaching, I did some substitute teaching for a couple of years.  I would leave encrypted notes for the teacher by writing in cursive.  I never had to worry about the students knowing what I said about them.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just bringing this back to the top, can anyone flick a picture of the Riviera, Built Expressly for ...... plate fitted to the 1963 console? Thinking to fit mine below the ash tray but would like to see where others were installed. No big deal, but like to get it close?

8 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Just bringing this back to the top, can anyone flick a picture of the Riviera, Built Expressly for ...... plate fitted to the 1963 console? Thinking to fit mine below the ash tray but would like to see where others were installed. No big deal, but like to get it close?

Rodney,

Here are three pictures. One is a shot of the plate in my 63 and another is a shot of where the plate is shown on the actual application card a new Riv owner got. They look to be in the same location. I also threw in a shot of the other side of the application card.

Bill

IMG_2866.JPG

Riviera ID Plate 1.jpg

Riviera ID Plate 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Learned something today.

If you read the instructions for getting your plate engraved, it says that you will be contacted by your dealer when the plate is returned to THEM and THEY will install it for you.  It appears that Buick was trying for some continuity in placement of the plate.  

So based on this, I'll be moving my plate to where Buick recommends that it be placed.

Hi Ed,

dont think GM Buick Division will fly someone out here to install the plate, and we don't have a Buick Dealer here. So did the install myself, I'm happy with it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Steve,

they are from SpeedHut Inc.

Went for a 2 5/8" diameter as I didn't want them to look like "everyday auto shop gauges" more an OEM look.

Their website is magic and if you want to spend an hour or so, you customise your gauge as to font, background colour, needle type, and so on until you create your own gauge. These are digital with stepper motor drives, not a cheap option either. But why would you put a K-Mart set in anyway?

Hope this helps, 

Rodney

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2015 at 11:40 AM, SilverRiv63 said:

At the request of several other Riviera owners, I worked with the trophy shop owner to get a more precise reproduction plate (dimensions more accurate with the original). Here's the final result:

post-104161-143142964883_thumb.jpg

If anyone else is interested in a similar plaque, here's what you do:

1) Get permission to use the Riviera logo for your private use. I contacted the GM Heritage Center and they have no problem with people using copyrighted GM material for personal use. You can email Peggy Kelly at margaret.p.kelly@gm.com and request a "No Objection to Use" form. Be sure to include details of what you intend to do and clearly state that this is for personal use.

2) Contact the Trophy House in Burnsville, MN (3140 Highway 13 W., Burnsville, MN 55337). I worked with J. Kevin Kennedy at info@trophyhouseonline.com. If you mention the Riviera plate, he'll know what you are talking about. He will need the name you want on the plate and he'll send you an electronic proof to verify before producing anything. Cost will be around $25 plus shipping.

I'm very happy with the reproduction plate and I hope this helps a few others get their own custom plaque. If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to try and help.

post-104161-14314296488_thumb.jpg

Do you think a reproduction for the Reatta owners portfolio nameplate could also be done?  I am looking into getting a photo of an original to see the dimensions and script of the nameplate.  The quality of the Riviera nameplate that the trophy-house created was excellent!