1949 cadillac standard transmission

Does anyone have any information about the 1949 cadillac series 62 4 door sedan with a manual transmission? Any technical or historical info would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have any idea about the production numbers of this car?<P> Thank You,<BR> JEFF10056@NETLABS.NET

Maybe this is irrelevent information, but as late as 1955 I saw Cadillacs and large Buicks in Mexico equipped with manual transmissions. One Mexican private tour driver using one of these cars told me that they were preferred in the mountains between Mexico City and Acapulco. About that same time period, I believe I also encountered those same type vehicles in Cuba. Also many Cuban Cadillacs were upholstered in leather because the humid climate was hell on cloth, or so I was told by one driver.<P>They may still be in operation in Cuba today smile.gif ~ hvs

Jeff,<BR>The manual shift transmission was standard equipment on all Cadillacs of the '40's thru 1952 to the best of my knowledge. The Hydra-Matic Drive was a option. I believe it cost $200.00 extra for the automatic in 1949. I do not know how many cars left the factory with manual shifters. As for total production numbers go, your car being a model 6269 the total of those, were 37,617 units. Any technical or historical information needed, let me know here and I'll see what I have.