Growing Trend ?

JPHIL

Phil, I definately think so. I started paying attention to more than just the T Speedsters through my pal Tom Laferriere, who has had/built a few ALFs and such, in addition to a pretty cool T speedster in his personal collection. the more I find out about the history of this genre the more interesting it is to me. It seems a lot were built in the 50s such as the Corbin I posted elsewhere here under "notable Speedsters".

We bought the "T" for a few reasons, first, for a project as most of my cars have been ready to go or in need of only minor work; and I wanted something with a little more to be done. Second, the early sporting/speedster style cars have always caught my eye, and last, to experience a very early car as most of our prewar cars have been between '30 and '41. This may help us decide if we want a bigger brass car at some point, but for now anything I need is not that hard to find vs. a larger chassis project, which we were considering.

The cool thing about these cars are you have some room for creativity, and it seems the restoration and hot rod groups both seem to like them. Personally I like everything in period, which seems to be what most prefer. A speedster is definately a different car than even a traditional hot rod (great cars as well) so it is more or less accepted by most in the restoration crowd, and most T people. I think Speedsters represent the majority of Model T activtiy these days, as well.

I would no sooner trash a solid original car to make a Speedster than I would a hot rod, but it is a great use for a complete chassis on an early car where the body and or wood are gone anyway, which is how many came to be, I think in the 40s - 50s.

A look at T Speedster and "Prewar speedsters & Gow Jobs" Facebook pages also points to strong/growing interest.

Are you thinking of jumping in, Phil?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Yep, I agree it seems to be a great way to get into the hobby without being restricted to finding that one super rare almost impossible to find part to complete your vintage car. As mentioned it's also a great way to get an incomplete car back on the road where it belongs, and most importantly, we don't have to be afraid to drive them. These are people that want to see a car on the road, not in a garage.

Speedsters do seem to be generating increased interest. I am currently in the very, very embryo state of a speedster build - I guess you could say I am going about it a bit backwards. I have a suitable engine in the throes of a lengthy build but no chassis as yet. With the demand for ALF's increasing it may be awhile or I may have to find an alternate.

Here is a photo of the engine loosely assembled for the move to our new home in the new town. The engine is a 18 Liter 6 cylinder Wisconsin T-head from 1926. (5-3/4"x7) The Crankcase is a 500 lb. manganese bronze casting.

IMGP9256.JPG