Leather Cone Clutch

Guest dnoz

I have a 1913 buick with a leather cone clutch. It seems to be in reasonably good shape. On occassion, when you let the clutch out, it grabs. Is there any maintainance that need to be done? Does the face get oiled? How and with what?

Oil the leather clutch facing with neetsfoot oil. My experience with these clutches is that you can't over oil them. Any unneeded oil will be thrown out or squeezed out when the clutch is engaged. For best results, fashion a clutch block out of wood or metal and fully block the pedal in the depressed position when the car is not in use. Don't be tempted to reline with kevlar. If relining is necessary, do it with LEATHER. ~ hvs

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using a kevlar clutch on my 1912 Cadillac since 1984 and it works great. I can start from a dead stop in high without and jerking, completely smooth. This car has been on 8 transcontinental tours and I have climbed loads of mountains without slipping. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have have had a kevlar clutch in my 1913 Overland for 7 years, and never had to adjust,neetsfoot oil,fullers earth,or any of the treatments needed to keep a leather clutch functional.But in all fairness I had a kevlar clutch in a 1912 Oakland that was grabby till the day I sold it.Phil

Larry ~~ I have a 1913 Cadillac and there is NO similarity between that car and a 1914 Buick. I own and tour one of each. <P>Same differences exist between your 1912 Cadillac and a 1913 Buick. The clutches may be similar in design but the cars are so different in weight, power and structure that what may work perfectly in the Cadillac might not be good in a small, lightweight Buick.<P>The kevlar clutch in my '14 Buick was toured from 1990 through 1998 and was miserable on every start. I took it out and replaced it with leather and it has been smooth starting ever since. I can only relate MY experience in a car similar to the one belonging to dnoznesky. Your experience certainly has been good for your car and might very well be good in my Cadillac. smile.gifsmile.gif Howard