Decoding a Build Card

Alan Cutler

Hello,

So I did as Dave suggested, and got a copy of the build card, so how do I decode the card, i.e. is there a web site that will give me the spec of the options?

The historical society sent what looks like a booklet with all the options available for the 1938 models (cars, trucks, wagons, etc..) but it really did not spell out the options, in terms of matching it to the card.

Example: card shows a punch hole next to P.T. Pump, but no where in the booklet does it explain what a P.T. Pump is...and so do I assume the punch means it had that option?

Alan

Dave - I will let you now when I am ready, still waiting on DMV to send back reg. papers.Build Card 10.6.37.pdf

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

Interesting, Dave.

On mine, the engine, chassis and VIN all match the card numbers, and I noted the truck was delivered to Charles City, IA, a 30 min drive to were the original owner lived.

The dealership was known as Collord-McRobert, in Charles City, based on the research I could do.

It was build October 6, 1937, and was VIN dated as a 1938 model, so it was considered an early model 1938.

Any help in decoding the card would help in the rebuild.

Alan

Surf City '38

Where did you get the info? I came up with the same in the accessories section of the parts book. Only problem, it was only available for the 3/4 (RE) ton and up trucks. Also found out the the 38 model year started production in Oct 37. You have a very early 38. More on that subject later. Good info.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Found it the same place, parts book.....I'd say its a very early model, 10/6/1937.

Now trying to figure out the color, from the build card, "4".

Looks like the standard factory colors for 1938, for a truck are;

43254 - Milori Green

43255 - Silver Wing Gray

43256 - Atlanta Orange

Carry over colors from 1937 are;

43116 - Kiltie Green

43222 - Suburban Blue

43166 - 20th Century Red

So the burning question is, what does the "4" refer to on the build card?

Alan

Surf City '38

Here is a color chart for the 37. We have one for the 38, just have to find it. The power pump shows parts only. The pump first shows up in the 1936 Parts book. Same #s from 36 to 38.

Interesting options for the 38:

Rad shutters

Rad cover

Roof vent

Fender lamps

Duel horns

Clock with the glove box

post-78906-143142800064_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142799981_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142800001_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142800023_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142800044_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

That's correct Dave, build number 255, about how many were they producing a month? Would that be as simple as taking the last VIN in the year model and subtracting the first VIN in the year model, and dividing by 12?

That would make the above numbers come out to 1,469 units per month, with mine being number 255?

By the way, for my accessories, I do have the roof vent, glove box (without the door clock), and heater.

The picture I've attached is the Sherwin -Williams standard factory color swatch.

This is were I came up with numbers of the colors available.

Came with the truck when I picked it up.....

post-101092-143142800196_thumb.jpg

Alan

Surf City '38

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/26/2014 at 11:12 AM, countrytravler said:

Here is a color chart for the 37. We have one for the 38, just have to find it. The power pump shows parts only. The pump first shows up in the 1936 Parts book. Same #s from 36 to 38.

Interesting options for the 38:

Rad shutters

Rad cover

Roof vent

Fender lamps

Duel horns

Clock with the glove box

post-78906-143142800064_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142799981_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142800001_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142800023_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142800044_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave, when your back in NoCal could you take a picture of the back of the 1937 Color Chart? it may have the mix proportions on the back.

The build card for your truck is a lot different than the one for my '36 car. I wonder if it is a build card or a final inspection ticket as it does not specify a few things like paint color. I think the numbers you see along the outer edge of each column are the factory code numbers for all standard parts. Notice how all the paint numbers start with 4 and the number 4 is heading that line item. To me that shows that the truck was painted in a standard color. Special paint jobs may have carried a different ID code. All the standard parts like bumper, shocks, wheels, tires and so forth carry a number 1 for each line item. I would think that the build ticket would have specified the paint color number . The other numbers along the left side of the card refer to other specifics, like under axle ratio, it reads 3.9 which would be the ratio, 58 stands for the type of chassis system used and 116 refers to the wheel base length. The power tire pump is an interesting option, didn't even know that they offered such a thing. Apparently , it mounted to the transmission and must have been operated by the transmission to supply air. Probably a H.D option for trucks for rough service. I noticed too, that it looks like your truck has an extra heavy bed if I read the option correctly. Of course I'm just guessing at all this.

1 hour ago, jpage said:

The build card for your truck is a lot different than the one for my '36 car. I wonder if it is a build card or a final inspection ticket as it does not specify a few things like paint color. I think the numbers you see along the outer edge of each column are the factory code numbers for all standard parts. Notice how all the paint numbers start with 4 and the number 4 is heading that line item. To me that shows that the truck was painted in a standard color. Special paint jobs may have carried a different ID code. All the standard parts like bumper, shocks, wheels, tires and so forth carry a number 1 for each line item. I would think that the build ticket would have specified the paint color number . The other numbers along the left side of the card refer to other specifics, like under axle ratio, it reads 3.9 which would be the ratio, 58 stands for the type of chassis system used and 116 refers to the wheel base length. The power tire pump is an interesting option, didn't even know that they offered such a thing. Apparently , it mounted to the transmission and must have been operated by the transmission to supply air. Probably a H.D option for trucks for rough service. I noticed too, that it looks like your truck has an extra heavy bed if I read the option correctly. Of course I'm just guessing at all this.

All good observations....thanks.

Ok, so I have figured out this card....notice the hole punches...notice each number that is a "6"...all "6's" are in alignment going horizontally....and so on...so it clear to me this card was later punched to be read by a computer, the numbers were converted to a hole punch, and its punch location height was determined by the number, "0" being the highest and "9" being the lowest....so logically the holes that are below the "1's" for the options, are clearly telling the computer those options were purchased....the whole above the other options without "1's" are not an indication that those options were purchased...but rather they are in the "9" location. See the "9" from the 3.9 ratio punch...just a thought...I am not a computer programmer from the punch card days, just a guess here...That all being guessed, I'd say my truck was a rather plain Jane when it came to options....

I'm not computer literate but If you are referring to the printed line to the right of the first set of boxes, yes there is a punch mark centered along that line in line with the number 6's, but these are 2 no. 5's also punched on that line. I thought that the first real punch card "computers'" came along after the second world war, but I could be mistaken. I'm surprised that no one could be more specific on this subject earlier in the post. Seems like most of the '30's Chrysler guys are gone now! Yeah, most truck buyers could not afford to spend a lot of money on options, but you do see a number of well equipped vehicles during the depression. Some large fleets were decked out nicely too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2014 at 1:09 PM, Surf City '38 said:

Hello,

So I did as Dave suggested, and got a copy of the build card, so how do I decode the card, i.e. is there a web site that will give me the spec of the options?

The historical society sent what looks like a booklet with all the options available for the 1938 models (cars, trucks, wagons, etc..) but it really did not spell out the options, in terms of matching it to the card.

Example: card shows a punch hole next to P.T. Pump, but no where in the booklet does it explain what a P.T. Pump is...and so do I assume the punch means it had that option?

Alan

Dave - I will let you now when I am ready, still waiting on DMV to send back reg. papers.Build Card 10.6.37.pdf

2nd picture gives all info, all this paperwork came with the card, last one I ordered for my 33 PD only came with the Card, I think,,

99C16E5B-C65F-4E39-ADBB-34ABB68C4028.jpeg

DB80CE42-27E3-41FD-88D7-B0943B40B698.jpeg

167EB2E7-3C2B-4A2A-9BDA-BAAE7F15EDD6.jpeg

4 hours ago, knobless said:

2nd picture gives all info, all this paperwork came with the card, last one I ordered for my 33 PD only came with the Card, I think,,

99C16E5B-C65F-4E39-ADBB-34ABB68C4028.jpeg

DB80CE42-27E3-41FD-88D7-B0943B40B698.jpeg

167EB2E7-3C2B-4A2A-9BDA-BAAE7F15EDD6.jpeg

I never received the second photo, only got the cover letter, exactly as yours is written and a copy of the card...I did this back in 2016. Trucks may have been tracked differently....?

21 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

I never received the second photo, only got the cover letter, exactly as yours is written and a copy of the card...I did this back in 2016. Trucks may have been tracked differently....?

I sent for this one in 2014; I also sent for one for my 33 PD I cant remember but I don’t think that one came with the specifics letter either,,,,sold the PD many years ago with the paperwork so I can’t check,,,the only thing you could do is contact them and see what Exactly they sent out for trucks,, ?????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vicpanza said:

Have attached my build card, if it helps triangulate this discussion. My truck was 20th Century Red over black fenders. Most of it makes sense, except the color selection. The gas shocks, etc. 

1937 Dodge MC - Panza.pdf

Thanks Vic, ours are very similar, in terms of punch locations 1,2,3 and 4, Numbers 5 and 6 falls on the same line too. I see yours had an oil filter from the factory. I noticed my schedule date was early, 4 were yours was 21. That would make sense since mine was a very early 38. You and I talked that your 37 and my 38 had a lot of identical parts.