Hershey Car Corral Thursday Oct.9 2014

cutlasguy

I began photographing both Corrals at Carlisle and Hershey 30 years ago. I now have 40 photo albums catagorized chronologically by make, model, and year, each containing a thousand pictures. I sometimes find it amusing to read the sale prices on the windshields. A 1970 Plymouth GTX selling for $10,000 or best offer A 1965 GTO going for $8,000. Corvettes selling for $5,000 and up.A 1970 Buick GSX for $13,000. Those were the days.

Mr. Cutlass Guy, if you can post one of the oldest

Hershey car corrals, I'm sure those pictures would

be even more interesting to us.

I got started in the hobby in the early to mid-1980's,

and I remember going to a Buick Club national meet,

seeing quite a few late 1920's cars and plenty in the

1940-41 range. (And 1950's cars, not yet 30 years old,

were popular then too!)

Also in 1970, my parents bought the house we grew up in. The price? $28,000. My mom sold it in 1986 so we could all go to college. The selling price was about 15 times that figure.

Cars weren't cheaper back then, your dollar just bought more.

Car corral prices are always interesting. I cannot remember seeing so many '72 - '89 Mercedes SLs (we have an '89) - in prior years. Perhaps 10 -12 over Thursday - Friday, ranging from $3,800 to $20,000, or right at market the couple nice ones reflecting their condition, the middle and worn out ones priced accordingly. I think there were more R107 SLs present than Gen one Mustangs in the car corral - or maybe just how my eye is trained. Two standouts were the white 560 SL a PA dealer had, and a green 450 SL in really nice original condition on Saturday.

Tom Laferriere's black Cad 60 special was very reasonable at $19K, with a green '41 Lincoln Continental coupe at $21K striking me as very reasonable as well. As usual scads of Model A Fords - but these always seem to have the "Hershey 15% premium" for some reason - and a lot of them sell. If I ever have another A, I would take it to Hershey at sale time.

Something for everyone though, it seemed.

Car corral prices are always interesting. I cannot remember seeing so many '72 - '89 Mercedes SLs (we have an '89) - in prior years. Perhaps 10 -12 over Thursday - Friday, ranging from $3,800 to $20,000, or right at market the couple nice ones reflecting their condition, the middle and worn out ones priced accordingly. I think there were more R107 SLs present than Gen one Mustangs in the car corral - or maybe just how my eye is trained. Two standouts were the white 560 SL a PA dealer had, and a green 450 SL in really nice original condition on Saturday.

I had the same thought - SO MANY SL's! I have a '77 so I was looking at them all as well.