My 60 Electra 225 Convertible

Smartin

Guest Rob McDonald

Oops, I guess because the ribbed mouldings usually reflect the pavement, I thought the lower part of your car was painted dark brown. I like it even better now!

• 7 months later...

Wow, I haven't updated this in a while.  Probably because I haven't actually done anything to it...except add a RH mirror last month!

I took it to our big Easter car show in Forest Park.  I believe I hear a U joint starting to chatter, now.  I am looking in the CARS catalog and they call out two types:  Saginaw and Spicer.  How do I know which one I have?

rh_mirror.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered both types of U joints....both were wrong.  Sometimes I don't even know why I try.

So now I am on the hunt for a correct U joint...apparently this is a difficult item to find.  I need one with an inside snap ring.  Caps are 1.062" dia, and the measurement from snap ring to snap ring is 2.620".

Project on hold for parts. 

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5895.jpg

The yoke is not machined for the outside snap rings.  So it must have inside snap rings to be retained.  The u joints that have been sold to me with inside snap rings are too big for the yoke by 1/16", but the one CARS sent me with outside snap rings is the correct diameter. 

11 hours ago, Smartin said:

It took a minor adjustment, but I now have a complete assembly.

Just curious Adam, what needed adjustment to make it work (besides patience to get the correct one)?

The inner part of the u-joint itself was about .080 too long in both directions (not including the caps).  I milled off half that amount on each end, re-ground the grease journals, and assembled.  It snapped in nicely after that.  The guy who normally does my pressing told me it is possible that the knuckles were bent in a hair from getting the original joint pressed out.  I don't think cast iron bends, but I'll pretend that's what happened.