Mopar Help Needed NOW!!

'74 Dodge 318<P>anybody know what size the crank nut is, on the front of the engine, that I want to use to turn the engine?<P>PLEASE?? I gotta go get a socket for it right now, well about an hour from right now. I dunno what size to get and the pulley is too deep for me to take a measurement!<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Bry, this is a long shot. Take some modeling clay or something like that and press it up into the crankshaft pulley to make an impression, then measure that.<P>Just an idea.<P>Hal

Hal, your idea was brilliant, and John, your guess was spot-on.<P>I took Hal's idea and adapted it to what I had on hand: paint cleaning clay. Well the stuff was growing mold anyway so it's not like it was ever gonna clean paint again. Unfortunately my mold stretched a bit as I removed it, so I still took my measurements but I also tried a second trick suggested by my friend Josh (who is helping me this weekend).<P>I took a piece of paper and a crayon. Laid the paper on the nut and drew lines across it with the crayon. You see the crayon will leave an extra dark spot when it encounters an edge. So take the paper, measure the line from the outside of the two dark spots. It came to the same measurement as my clay mold.<P>1-1/4"<P>which, of course, my Sears only had in 12-point, but good enough for now. I hope y'all have better Sears than what I've got because they've really gone downhill these past few years around here. I could tell some stories. Yeesh.<P>Thanks for the help! Now see my other thread smile.gif<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry