Current Issues and Suggestions for a Better BCA

MrEarl

This thread is for voicing concerns about any real issues within the club and suggestions for resolving them. It is also for sharing ideas and suggestions that might improve our club. It may also be used to ask questions about how the club functions and current and future events.

Since the board members are the ones "in the know" I especially invite their input, commentary and help with explanations and answers to members questions and concerns.

Please keep comments constructive, factual and polite. Posts containing improper language or personal attacks or that become argumentative and not in the spirit or to the good of the BCA will be deleted.

For openers I'd like to say that any concern by a member is a real issue. Here is my # 1 concern: Cost of Membership. I don't mind the $50 annual dues. I do mind the cost to attend and participate in the National Meet. I am not fond of the al-A- carte pricing which has been implemented. Using the 2015 meet as an example, it's $35.00 just to register to attend the meet without a car. That covers a dash plaque, Program booklet, and hospitality suite. Then it's $20.00 to display a car. To me this is an insult. There's not even a quantity discount if one desires to bring multiple cars for display. Up to this point there is some club outlay for the hospitality suite and cost of a dash plaque ( maybe) , so this amounts to nothing more than a money grab in my opinion, and I think it stops some members from attending the Nationals.

John... overlooking the actual price, it does seem fair that there is one price for just attending and some additional cost if you show a car. Not everyone coming can bring a car.

It is not a secret but the fellow that does the registration get a flat $5 per registration. Among his duties is to log in all the registrations, keep the funds accounted for (registration, car display, tours, banquet) he makes up the registration packets, includes the menu of things each person signed up for, tickets for tours and banquet, supplies the chief judge with a list of all cars by class, prints the window placards for cars on the show field. There may be some other responsibilities such as being at the registration table about 8 hours each day for at least 3 days. I have never seen the numbers for the hospitality room but it is one popular place and most people take advantage (maybe too much) Lets say they allot $1 dollar a day per person registered, the hospitality room can go thru lots of sodas.

My personal opinion is that "DISPLAY ONLY" cars should be at no charge. The only concern there is having enough room to park them. Even this year there were at least two very late model Buicks with display only placards, probably done so the owner could get a good parking space.

I was on the Board when the dues was raised to $50, the plan was to go to $45 or cut the content of the Bugle. (Please look at the financial report by Bill Stoneberg on page 8 of the Sept 14 Bugle) The largest expense is the Bugle (72% of the budget) At that same meet the people in the general membership meeting were ask about the price increase and the Bugle and 99% of the people in attendance said "don't cut the Bugle content", so listening to the membership, the Board scratched cuts to the Bugle. The second phase in getting the budget in balance was the increase to $45. Based on available information, that would probably keep us in the black for about 2 years.....meaning there would be another membership increase in another 2 years. With a lot of head scratching, and knowing we would loose members with an increase, the long range decision was to increase the dues to $50 (knowing that would be needed later) taking a one time hit on membership instead of a double hit on membership. While there was a lot of complaints, looking back it was the right decision and the BCA is and has been in the black since the increase and I don't think there is another increase any time soon.

I also want to plug the members of the Board. We sometimes disagree with their decisions, there are 9 well qualified members and their decision are not made for their benefit, but for the members. All their time is gratis and they must put up with all the arrows coming their way. In 2003 the Board was chartered to have 4 meeting a year. As money got tight, that was gradually reduced to 1 meeting a year at the National meet.

The actual cost for the meeting was not that great but it was one way to reduce cost.

I was sorry to see us loose Jerry Courson as a board member. While he is not well known to many BCA members, his real job was a trouble shooter of National Credit Unions, after hurricane Katrina, he went to New Orleans and got all the damaged Credit Unions back in operation. After retiring he did contract work stabilizing troubled Credit Unions. We lost a valuable financial asset when he was not reelected.

Last, former BCA Board member and President Paul Meyer's cancer has returned...... he need our thought, prayers, and cards

This thread is for voicing concerns about any real issues within the club and suggestions for resolving them. It is also for sharing ideas and suggestions that might improve our club. It may also be used to ask questions about how the club functions and current and future events.

Since the board members are the ones "in the know" I especially invite their input, commentary and help with explanations and answers to members questions and concerns.

Please keep comments constructive, factual and polite. Posts containing improper language or personal attacks or that become argumentative and not in the spirit or to the good of the BCA will be deleted.

Lamar, good idea.

There are many expenses when putting on a meet that need to be covered even if you dont bring a car.

Barney brought up registration and hospitality. A dollar a day per person wont cover hospitality. We, as a club, eat and drink well in the hospitality room.

There is the cost of the hotel we stay at the registration fee covers meeting rooms we use. It covers water that is given outside, it covers some of the cost of the rooms and parking lots for the swap meet, security to help keep us safe and a host other items. While we try not to dig too deep into your wallet, the BCA does need to make some money on the event. We do share our profits with the chapters \ regions that do a majority of the work.

On the budget issues-since the Bugle is major cost and web based costs very low, it would seem that as 'paper publishing' goes away (as will our newspapers/magazines that us 'old guys' like to hold in our hand with coffee out on the the patio), the budget situation changes in a big way. I know that more of us older types will probably have to leave this earth before that happens tho! Dan Mpls. Mn.

Well said Bill, I was going to say about the same thing. Remember not many wanted to pay the hotel price for Breakfast for the forum breakfast. I know I had to plead quite a bit at Danvers to get what we had there. Consider also the expenses for such items of car washing supplies and golf carts needed for transport. From my observation, and running some International Conferences for employees (where there is only direct expense and no separate income stream), I am somewhat surprised the BCA can do what it does for the price. Even promising a large block of hotel rooms, the meeting rooms are not cheap. I think you, the BOD, and the office have been good custodians of our income, both, in general and at National Meets.

John

I like the idea for this thread.

First, I recently brought an idea forward to the board. I was included in their e-mail discussion and the initial voting results. I'm not certain on the final result of their vote on a motion, but I presume that if it carried and results in a change that it will be communicated to the membership in due course. Regardless of the outcome, I feel the treatment I was given over a small issue was empowering to me as a member. While I'm not on the board at present, I was made to feel a valued member of the club with something positive to contribute.

Barney - since we were staying across the street, the 2006 Rainier on display was not there for "better" parking. Our original plan was to bring the '29 as a work in progress, but decided against that owing to concerns regarding ownership crossing the border. The next plan was to bring the 2002 Regal to be judged and have the teenagers look after the prep. We looked at having some touch up paint work done, which revealed bigger issues that were not worthwhile to repair. So, the decision was finally made to bring the Rainier - while not being the most fuel-efficient, it was reasonable and gave us greater comfort for the trip. I should also note that we were thanked by someone prominent in the club for bringing it. As a Buick, it is valid as a BCA club vehicle, so should be eligible for the show field. I don't think of it much differently than other years when a local Buick dealership has displayed new Buicks at the national meet. I could certainly be wrong, but I don't expect a few folks bringing a modern Buick is going to negatively impact attendance nor what is brought for the meet generally. I firmly believe that any BCA member who brings a Buick should be able to have it on the show field in some fashion. Personally, I would have enjoyed having a Regal and Verano or two around have been nice as I am considering getting one. Chatting with owners is a better way to get a feel for a car than the sales and marketing pitches.

That wasn't intended to be a defensive response nor argumentative. I apologize if it came across as such.

One thing that having a couple modern Buicks at the national meet did point out is that we need to assess how we handle them. Right now, the field layout is determined by the chief judge and their team, but we don't even have these necessarily properly assessed as belonging to a class. Since the judging program only deals with vehicles at least 12 model years old, we need o figure out how to handle such Buicks in the future. Should the chief judge be the only one involved in how that is set up if they aren't concerned with newer Buick autos? Should we simply plan a different "class" for modern Buicks?

Derek...... the intent of pointing out there were new vehicles with placards was just to indicate that parking could be an issue if not properly addressed. I go to a Buick show to see Buicks and would love to see newer cars if there is space. It would also be great if Buick could find the funds to return to the practice of supplying some cars. Maybe the National Meet committee has not contacted local dealers and given them the chance to supply new cars.(maybe they need to recruit "the Old Guy" to help do it right)

Electronic Bugle... Dan commented above about the hard copy going away.... probably won't happen in my lifetime. I made a motion as a Board member (my last meeting) that an electronic Bugle be tested for 6 months.

The main advantage was to foreign members looking for parts...their hard copy was arriving 6-10 weeks after US members received their Bugle and often the needed parts were already sold. It took a while for it to happen but the electronic Bugle is and has been available for some time. The last time I ask, only about 2% of the membership receives ONLY the electronic Bugle, people want that hard copy....even when they can get it electronically cheaper.

As Tech Advisor coordinator.... I need tech advisors for newer Buicks, look at the voids on tech advisor page and if you can volunteer for a newer series of Buicks please contact me.

No worries Barney. I'm not sure there should be an "if" about newer Buicks...if they are registered, space should be available on the show field. I guess we always see old Buicks in the parking lot (not the show field), so six on one hand and a half dozen on the other.

One issue I have with the electronic Bugle is not conceptual, but as far as I understand, I can't download a copy and keep it. The Internet isn't quite ubiquitous enough for me to access wherever. There are also times where I need a break from the screens and paper is a nice alternative to curl up with. It is easier to share paper copies with prospective members too.

Im happy to to see this discussion.

1. All together parking... 2 All together parking. 3..Ahhh, Did I say all together parking. I'll be danged if I'll park the Chartreuse Lady away from the other early car base on whether I want it judged or not.. Dandy Dave!

Dale

You can officially be "The Old Guy" as I threw in the towel when Buicks became trophies rather than cars. I still DRIVE mine and although the undercarriage is dirty, the only person that will see it is the guy I run over, and he won't be able to tell !!!!

LOL.. Yup. Joe you is one Buick Rascal extraordinaire. I'm with you brother. :D Dandy Dave.

Our '13 Enclave was one of the cars in the display only parking area. We parked in our designated row, and it was simply there for folks to look at. I've been a member of the BCA since '73 and made it to two meets, Bellevue and Portland. I enjoy seeing the Buicks that people bring, especially '70 and earlier years. The Bugle is top notch, full color throughout, great color, crossovers on pages fit, and I told Pete Phillips how I felt. I'll simply continue to be around...I'm a Buick man.

I most certainly have to Agree with you on the Bugle. It is A1 in my Book. And Pete does a wonderful job with it also. On the meets. I go to have fun, and see old friends, and to meet new ones. When it stops being fun, then it is time to move on. So far, the ones I have been to have been Fun. If you "regulate" and "tax" having "fun" out of the equation, then many will leave. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Derek, it's been my long-standing orientation that, for the "all-inclusiveness" of the BCA, the BCA should allow "modern" Buicks to be judged in the 400 Point System judging. I feel this would allow such owners to NOT have to seek out clubs to belong to which readily recognize such newer Buicks (even many online forums/websites for such!) who also don't know the BCA even exists. I've not seen anything which indicates how "12 years" was determined as the cut-off point, though, nor where the term "antique" came to be perceived to be in the BCA's orientations . . . or if this might just be a mindset of many members?

In more recent decades, the BCA National Meet 400 Point Judging has enjoyed a normal growth as more years of Buicks are now eligible for such participation. Plus the inclusion of the added Divisions, too. As a group, we don't desire to see the older Buicks "pushed out" (i.e., brass era cars, "open wheel" cars) just to make more room for the newer vehicles, which is fully understandable, nor should that happen (as long as there are members who continue to enter such cars in the show events each year).

End result is that "more cars" can make finding a suitable venue for the BCA National Meets (with "un-separated" show fields) more difficult. The number of vehicles which can be projected to attend is always a "crap shoot", to me, as the meets are in different locations each year. NOT to forget the desired orientation of having the meet at a "meet hotel" rather than having the show at a location nearby (as many hotels don't have adjacent "land they control" to have the show across the street from the hotel.

I have no problem with a "Meet Registration Charge" and an additional charge to show vehicle(s) in the judged show portions of the BCA National Meet. There ARE costs incurred with the judging process (outside of the more-visible Judges Breakfast), not to forget about the cost of the awards to be presented to many show entrants' vehicles. There are 400 Point Awards (which use the BCA casting in addition to the basic cost of the award itself), Senior Awards, Preservation Awards, and so on. Those upper-level awards MUST be funded somewhere, too. Knowing what just the 400 Point Awards cost, typically, (or at least what they cost in the 1996 and 2004 meet years!!), the additional charge for putting a vehicle in the 400 Point Judging can generally be 'break-even' in nature. The upper-level awards typically are more expensive than the 400 Point Awards, by observation. Now, IF the membership might be willing to accept nicely-done paper certificates rather than manufactured awards, then possibly the charge for putting a vehicle in the judged show could be decreased . . . but it's seemed apparent to me that the nicer (current) awards are desired.

As I recall the posts and conversations, the E-Bugle was done more for the International membership who might be looking for particular cars and repair parts to purchase. Valid issues there! Looking at an electronic magazine does not have the same impact, for me, as a hard copy publication. Although the e-versions don't take up the same space (and related side-issues of such!), so that can be an attractive situation for some, I still like to have something I can hold to read without having to worry about battery life or how many downloads I've done.

Thanks for this forum thread, Mr. Earl!

Willis Bell 20811

For openers I'd like to say that any concern by a member is a real issue. Here is my # 1 concern: Cost of Membership. I don't mind the $50 annual dues. I do mind the cost to attend and participate in the National Meet. I am not fond of the al-A- carte pricing which has been implemented. Using the 2015 meet as an example, it's $35.00 just to register to attend the meet without a car. That covers a dash plaque, Program booklet, and hospitality suite. Then it's $20.00 to display a car. To me this is an insult. There's not even a quantity discount if one desires to bring multiple cars for display. Up to this point there is some club outlay for the hospitality suite and cost of a dash plaque ( maybe) , so this amounts to nothing more than a money grab in my opinion, and I think it stops some members from attending the Nationals.

I have been to National Meets for both the Early Ford V-8 Club of America and the Buick Club of America so $55 dollars for BCA Meet Registration and one car on the field is an absolute bargain. It costs money to put on a good meet, so I don't mind paying to attend. The last Early Ford Meet I went to was $75 for meet registration, including one car on the field (and $30 for each additional car). The 2015 National Ford V-8 Meet Registration is $95 (including one car on the field) and $40 for each additional car. That initial meet registration for the Ford V-8 club is the same price whether you bring a car or not. So $35 for BCA Meet registration is very reasonable, and so is the $55 for the Meet and one car on the field. The great times at the BCA meet far exceeds the $55. And the Ford show is worth every cent too.

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Initially, the thing I did not like about the South Bend Meet was the segregation of the "Driven" class cars from the Concourse. Thankfully, the Driven Class Buicks were allowed on the Concourse on judging day. I think that all Driven Class Buicks that are not modified should be on the same field as the Point judged cars. Keeping the modified cars separate is still a good idea.

Initially, the thing I did not like about the South Bend Meet was the segregation of the "Driven" class cars from the Concourse. Thankfully, the Driven Class Buicks were allowed on the Concourse on judging day. I think that all Driven Class Buicks that are not modified should be on the same field as the Point judged cars. Keeping the modified cars separate is still a good idea.

Guys, I keep hearing this. I was told to park my '50 any where when I arrived on Wed. I parked in the lot where the vendors were. Moved to the other lot on Sat morn. Was told that after judging could move it back, which I did.

As far as the modified, I don't hold with keeping them separate BECAUSE they are modified. If that is the reason used for keeping them apart, even this old man would rebel . And like my wife will tell any one, once seeing old Ben in a rebelious mood is enough!

I would not like to be a Meet Commitee member!! Thankless job. I don't think the BCA has enough money, and I have a pretty thick skin and hard head, but probably not thick enough nor hard enough.

Ben

Ben, I guess I phrased that a little indelicately. Not far away separated like they had at South Bend, when the modifieds were way on the other side of the meet. I kinda of felt bad for them being way over there. But having a blown GS or chopped, shaved and slammed Roadmaster next to the stock vehicles would be a little off putting--at least for me.

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

There was a very good suggestion made by someone at the General Membership Meeting in Portland, Oregon, that people who are "first-timers" at a BCA national meet ought to have some way to be identified to everyone else, so we can all reach out and help them become acquainted with all of the things going on at a national meet; maybe even have a special meeting room or reception for the first-timers with extra explanations of what is going on, who to see for this, where to go for that, etc. Maybe give them all a bright orange name tag so others can identify and make an effort to make them feel welcome at the meet. I felt that this was a very valuable suggestion that ought to be acted on. I can remember how alone and lost I felt at my first BCA national meet, which was Indianapolis, Indiana in 1984, I think.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There was a very good suggestion made by someone at the General Membership Meeting in Portland, Oregon, that people who are "first-timers" at a BCA national meet ought to have some way to be identified to everyone else, so we can all reach out and help them become acquainted with all of things going on at a national meet; maybe even have a special meeting room or reception for the first-timers with extra explanations of what is going on, who to see for this, where to go for that, etc. Maybe give them all a bright orange name tag so others can identify and make an effort to make them feel welcome at the meet. I felt that this was a very valuable suggestion that ought to be acted on. I can remember how alone and lost I felt at my first BCA national meet, which was Indianapolis, Indiana in 1984, I think.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

In the Early Ford V-8 club the words "First Time Attendee" are typed on their name badge.

In addition to the name tag designation, possibly a "What to Expect" and "How A BCA National Meet Might Be Different Than Other Similar Events" page in the Goody Bag or in the Meet Program. Plus a good explanation of how the "deduct" judging "to a total point value" of the 400 Point Judging System works! Some might appreciate where to find such information . . . without a "yellow streak" (!!) on their back -- a special name badge would be better (verified by a question on the meet registration "Is this our FIRST BCA National Meet to attend?).

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Pete that is a constructive suggestion to help retain members. I too felt lost at my first National (1976 I believe). The way I was treated by a few of the old members kept me away from a National for over 25 years but guess I was just stubborn and stuck around. Not sure how much of a challenge it would be to keep track of when someone goes to there first meet however. Many people join and don't attend there first for years after joining.

Carl

• Like 1

2003 was our first National. Talk about feeling lost. It was simply overwhelming but absolutely amazing from a Buick hobby perspective.

I I agree that identifying first time attendees has value, but those of us who have been before have to be welcoming rather than snooty for this to work. Even if the welcoming folks outnumber less welcoming ones, a poor experience by someone identified as a first timer may turn them into a last timer and possibly a non-member. This is a non-issue if we will all act as ambassadors of the BCA.

• Like 1

2003 was our first National. Talk about feeling lost. It was simply overwhelming but absolutely amazing from a Buick hobby perspective.

I I agree that identifying first time attendees has value, but those of us who have been before have to be welcoming rather than snooty for this to work. Even if the welcoming folks outnumber less welcoming ones, a poor experience by someone identified as a first timer may turn them into a last timer and possibly a non-member. This is a non-issue if we will all act as ambassadors of the BCA.

Right on, Derek

Ben

I showed up at the 1977 Strongsville, Ohio meet driving a red 1971 Ford LTD convertible with the top down. It was in a hotel parking lot and the guy at the gate said "You can't park that car here." The guy next to him said "Maybe, it looks better than some of the stuff I've seen."

I had a '39 Series 40 with streamboards and series 50 window stainless at home under restoration at home. I sure felt like I belonged. A guy was selling subscriptions to Skinned Knuckles magazine. I subscribed and bought all the back issues. What a great time! Being young and innocent I just walked in and being there fit like that old flannel shirt my wife keeps trying to throw away. I just found what I was looking for.

We generally find what we are looking for; and I have to be more ware as I become older and more cynical. I am not the same open innocent boy I was in 1977. I can find stuff to **** and moan about pretty easy these days. The BCA is a club overflowing with old guys. Each one will "find what they are looking for." To paraphrase a local car dealer "Its not a club, its personal."

Bernie

Exactly why I try to be an Ambassador, or a host, to whatever I get involved in. From young, to old, I try to answer questions about what ever I am displaying at the time for those who are interested. Dandy Dave!

The Reatta Div tried something similar to Pete's idea this year at Portland. We had a sticker printed that looks like the Reatta hood emblem. We gave them to anyone that drove or owned a Reatta.... to put on their name badge at Portland. The idea was so Reatta owners could identify other Reatta owners....even if they did not bring their car. It worked great, we had Reatta owners that had a different Buick at Portland asking for their Reatta sticker. I know we gave out a lot but we have plenty remaining for Springfield.

I have a question,.....Why is it so hard to get a local BCA Chapter started? I live in Central Wisconsin and the nearest BCA Chapter is either Green Bay (2 hrs), Milwaukee (3 hrs) and Minneapolis (3 hrs) away. I would like to start one here in the central part of the state, but it would basically take an act of congress to get it on the books. I would like to be more active in the club but can't make the several hour trip it would take to do that. There are a lot of Buick owners and BCA members here in Central Wisconsin that would enjoy having a BCA Chapter here. How can you help us, be a part of a local BCA Chapter? Thanks, John

John - as I understand, it is 12 signatures of BCA members and a "constitution" or something similar. When I'd talked about it previously, Brian DePouli mentioned that he had a draft document that he'd share. Granted, I still haven't pulled the trigger on getting it done, but I wasn't under the impression it was terribly difficult.

Good luck.

I have a question,.....Why is it so hard to get a local BCA Chapter started? I live in Central Wisconsin and the nearest BCA Chapter is either Green Bay (2 hrs), Milwaukee (3 hrs) and Minneapolis (3 hrs) away. I would like to start one here in the central part of the state, but it would basically take an act of congress to get it on the books. I would like to be more active in the club but can't make the several hour trip it would take to do that. There are a lot of Buick owners and BCA members here in Central Wisconsin that would enjoy having a BCA Chapter here. How can you help us, be a part of a local BCA Chapter? Thanks, John

If you are willing, I believe you can get a maillist of labels from the BCA Office, which you can then use to directly approach members in the are you want to service. We sent 40 letters, and 12 members showed up at the first meeting where we passed the Petition for the 10 members needed to start the Chapter. After that I mailed the petition to the BCA office and shortly thereafter we received our Charter for our Chapter.

It does take a financial commitment to get those letters out. But it was worth the effort. I also suggest you pick a day, place, and time for your first meeting before you send the letters. That way you don't have to send two letters.

John, one observed issue is finding the 12 current/future BCA members to start with, who ALSO want to form a BCA chapter. Then it's keeping them active in the new chapter for (about) 5 years. THEN it's going to take a commitment of the officers to stay hooked in the new group, too. Not only in "marketing/promotion", but also in the nuts & bolts of having (preferred, from my experience) monthly meetings EACH and every month of the year.

A while back, a group of our North Texas Chapter members caravanned across the Oklahoma border to meet with members of the then-new chapter from that area. They got the necessary things done to be chartered and all looked positive. They received their BCA charter and WE were glad that there was finally a third chapter so our North Texas Chapter could now be in a genuine South Central Region of BCA (this was prior to the Alamo Chapter appearing). There were many positive orientations of our new OK operatives, but three years later, they had to return their charter as they couldn't keep things going . . . for whatever reason. This is why I mention "five years".

In other words, getting the initial paperwork/documentation can be somewhat easy when compared to "keeping the lights on" for the new chapter. One of the first things to have is a good newsletter/communications device among the new members. Then have some activities together, possibly in conjunction with the monthly meeting . . . in other words, give them something to come to the meeting for (i.e., some "after-meeting" activity . . . whether attending a weekly cruise event, miniature golf, or something similar). Without that "hook", it's just "a meeting". Sometimes, just getting together for a group meal and conflab of similar-minded vehicle enthusiasts (Buick, in this case, or even with another club) to "get out of the house" can be a reason to attend the meeting. KEY thing is to let the group be itself rather than try to mimic/mold it in the same mold of another club(s) you might be in . . . each group is a little different and that difference needs to be respected and built upon.

I wish you well in your endeavor of getting a new BCA chapter organized! If you have any questions or concerns, now or later, send me a private message or regular email. Additionally, there's also Hank Reus, Jr., who is the national-level BCA Chapter, Division, Regions Coordinator.

Enjoy!

Willis Bell 20811

Chapter Director, North Texas Chapter BCA

South Central Regional Co-Coordinator, BCA

Here is my take on this subject, based on being a member of the Kaiser Frazer (KF) Club. They don't have a nice magazine like The Bugle but they do put out a newsletter monthly that includes the classifieds. For KF, they SAVE money by having members choose the PDF version of the newsletter sent by email OVER hard copies mailed.

As an incentive, the e-newsletter gets to those who choose this method of delivery 1st, allowing an edge in content viewing over those members who receive the newsletter by mail.

It would create an incentive for members to go "paperless" if the BCA would allow a slight deference to e-Bugle ($35) subscribers over the hard copy only members.

It works for the KF Club, but may not be worth it for the BCA. I am just putting it out there. It saves time, money, and postal heartache to go e-Bugle, we know that, but I don't want to put printers and staff out of a job.

A PDF version would be too easy to re-distribute whether sent as an email attachment or downloaded. On the other hand it could be saved to your computer and would be searchable. And with the right software a whole bunch could be combined into one larger PDF. With all the misinformation out there on Buicks it might not even be a bad idea to at some point put it freely out on the web.

From other prior discussions of "To e- or not to e-" . . .

Printing costs are determined by volume printed, not the same price regardless of volume. The BUGLE is the largest single expense, so membership costs might increase if printing volume decreases too far. A big balancing act, there!

Printing typically ensures that BCA members get the magazine first, then they can donate it if desired, rather than "anybody" getting it for free as a matter of course.

e-Bugle's biggest benefit is that international members can have access to advertised parts/cars in the same general time frame as state-side members.

While I suspect I might print individual articles as desired, possibly to re-distribute to interested parties, the quality of such printing would not do justice to the material. Plus the increase in ink cartridges used and photo paper purchased (for the better quality color printing).

It might be generational, but personally like to have a quality magazine to hold in my hand as I read it . . . not an electronic screen whose battery might need to be charged soon.

To me, other than the utilitarian orientation of "reading words" and having access to classified advertising in a timely manner, any other reproduction of "The Bugle" in user-printed media just would not do the material in the great magazine justice. The main thing which makes "The Bugle" so great is the manner in which it's presented . . . the photo layouts, the page layouts, the quality of the paper, and so on. It's the total combination that really makes it pop! Pete and Cindy do a great job in that respect!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467