CARB PROBLEMS ON 62 OLDS STARFIRE

MY 62 OLDS HAS HAD A PROBLEM EVER SINCE I RESTORED IT ,IT HESITATES WHEN IT GOES AROUND A CORNER ,I HAVE CHECKED THE FLOAT LEVEL AND,TIMING,BUT CANNOT SEEM TO FIX THE PROBLEM. IT HAS THE ORIGINAL CARB,WHICH WAS OVERHAULED WHEN THE ENGINE WAS DONE.I HAVE PUT OVER 10,000 MILES,SINCE. THE ENGINE RUNS FINE ,BUT THIS PROBLEM ANNOYS THE **&^%**^^OUT OF ME ,AND I SURE WOULE LIKE TO FIX IT BEFORE THIS TOURING SEASON.ANY SUGGESTIONS

Philip,<P>I've been trying to remember some of the problems in the past like this, and I can only remember floats, dirt and weak fuel pumps ( no matter how new they are ). I had a '57 Camio pickup here that did this and after a lot of work and head bounding, it stopped doing it after replacing the new rebuilt pump.<P>I think your problem is still floats. Do you have a Rochester 4GC? If so, did you make all adjustments? ( Float Level, Toe and Drop ) If so, are you aware of the different styles of floats used? Also there is a vacumn assist spring to have proper length. I have all adjustment specs if you don't. I'll need Carb number. Should start with # 702----. 1962 is a little new for me, but a problem is a problem.<P>And thanks for info on other posting of speedometer cables. I think that's where I heard of him. He was at Hershey.<P>Good luck and let me know if I'm right.(or wrong)<P>Rick<P><BR>

RICK.I APPRECIATE THE HELP,MY CAR IS AT THE UPHOLSTER HAVING THE INTERIOR REDONE,IM HAVING IT DONE IN LEATHER AND VINYL AS ORIGINAL.THE UPHOLSTER SAYS IT IS THE MOST DIFFICULT INTERIOR THAT HE HAS EVERY WORKED ON,BUT IT IS COMING OUT FANTASTIC,THE MAN IS A TRUE CRAFTSMAN.I WILL GET THE CARB NUMBERS TO YOU WHEN THE CAR RETURNS.THANK AGAIN FOR THE HELP PHIL

This happened to me with a 1960 Falcon. My uncle (an older mechanic) didn't even look at the car when I explained it to him. He went to the parts store and bought some new gasket material and got his 1/2" wrench. He went out to the car and, without looking at them, twisted the carb mounting nuts off by hand!<P>This is a common problem on certain older cars with heavy air cleaners. The weight of the air cleaner rocks the carb back and forth with each turn of the steering wheel, loostening the nuts. Eventually, in one direction or the other, the carb rocks enough to allow air in at the manifold. This usually also damages the gasket, allowing even more air in. <P>As I recall, Starfires have a very large, heavy air cleaner on a single carb. Replace the gasket and tighten those nuts and I'll bet your problem goes away. If not, than it probably is float related.