Antifreeze

We are looking for an antifreeze to put in our collection of antique cars. We are worried about the corrosive chemicals that are in the different brands. Can anyone recommend a "safe" brand?

You may want to look into these enviromentally safe antifreezes. There are several brands available like "Sierra" brand. I am not sure of the chemical break downs of these antifreezes. I have never used any. I've only ever used a ethylene glycol based, which usally contain corrosion inhibitors.<P>Something I have been doing for sometime now is using distilled water instead of tap water, but only in fresh rebuilt engines. I don't believe it would help corrosion in a older engine, but I guess it wouldn't hurt either.<P>Rick

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Rick,<P>You are right that distilled water will not prevent corrosion in an older engine, but it will keep additional scale from forming due to impurities in the water. It is probably never too late to start.

Hal,<P>You're right. I guess I should have finished with that. I don't usally put distilled water in customer's old cars that are driven and we did not rebuild the engines. I figure somewhere down the road, one of those Model T's or whichever is going to need a drink and the owner is'nt going to be shopping around for distilled water along the road. So for me, I don't do it. ( then again I don't know if the others are continuing with it either, for sure).

• 2 weeks later...

In a non-freezing situation [museum cars?] plain water is the best coolant-with the proper dose of No- Rosion or something comparable.And a cupful of liquid Calgon to combat rust.If I sold anti-freeze I'd recommend it -but try to keep those chemicals out of engines and radiators-the fewer the better.And save a few dollars,too.