1935 Dodge Brothers pickup

Guest softtomgirl

Guest softtomgirl
post-81979-143142713568_thumb.jpg
I just brought home this pickup that my dad gave me. And a repair manual for this truck should arrive this week. Will start stripping it down this month. Any and all advice and resource info is greatly appreciated. For some reason a photo will not upload. I'll try cropping it and uploading again.

post-81979-143142713576_thumb.jpg

Edited by softtomgirl (see edit history)

Guest softtomgirl
When you get here settled in, we have many parts, experience and know-how with these trucks. Is it a KCL or KC? 1st series or 2nd? Building a 34 for a customer at this time.

got you on my radar Dave. Thanks.

Guest softtomgirl
Looks to be a KCL-rare! 119" wheel base. Nice start!:cool:

Dave, I haven't picked up my mail yet so don't know a lot of things yet like KCL or KC, or 1st or 2nd series,etc. But Thx for the info. I'm so excited.

Guest softtomgirl

I'm a little disappointed with the manual I bought. Doesn't tell me what dash gages are what, what the openings are above the windshield.

Guest softtomgirl
when you reply to a thread scroll down you will see manage attachments,click it it will bring you to add files , here you can upload your pictures, resize them , with edit pictures or the files will be to large to load, good luck, if you get stuck send them to me and I can load them, signalsteve@comcast.net

I see no manage attachments. Perhaps because I am using my tablet. I'll try it on my laptop.

Guest softtomgirl
The cap is definitely a gas cap, but I do not think it is for a Challenger. More like 1962 Falcon or something similar. Look around for a local chrome shop for cleaning-rechroming.

From the wee bit of research I've done chrome is actually plated?

Some of the "chrome" is actually stainless steel. Those parts may now just be looking dull but not rusted.

Other "chrome" is actually regular steel with plating. Generally this plating consists of a layer of copper, covered by a layer of nickel to render the silver color. Your '35 would then have a third very thin layer of chromium. This protects the silvery (but somewhat yellow) nickel layer with a fairly hard bluish /clear layer of chrome. That is then the finished look.

The stainless steel parts can be straightened if necessary and all of it can then be polished to a high shine.

The chrome can be cleaned to some extent, mainly to remove any rust forming over the top of the chrome layer, but if there is any pitting this means the three layers have been compromised and the steel below is being affected (rusting). To make it look perfect again these parts will need to be completely replated. If you are liking the bit pitted older looking patina then just cleaning the rust off the chrome and the application of a good wax may be all you need. It is all about personal taste and size of pocketbook. There have been other posts in the past discussing how to clean chrome.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest softtomgirl
Some of the "chrome" is actually stainless steel. Those parts may now just be looking dull but not rusted.

Other "chrome" is actually regular steel with plating. Generally this plating consists of a layer of copper, covered by a layer of nickel to render the silver color. Your '35 would then have a third very thin layer of chromium. This protects the silvery (but somewhat yellow) nickel layer with a fairly hard bluish /clear layer of chrome. That is then the finished look.

The stainless steel parts can be straightened if necessary and all of it can then be polished to a high shine.

The chrome can be cleaned to some extent, mainly to remove any rust forming over the top of the chrome layer, but if there is any pitting this means the three layers have been compromised and the steel below is being affected (rusting). To make it look perfect again these parts will need to be completely replated. If you are liking the bit pitted older looking patina then just cleaning the rust off the chrome and the application of a good wax may be all you need. It is all about personal taste and size of pocketbook. There have been other posts in the past discussing how to clean chrome.

okay. Great info. I should probably take a photo of the bumper,post it and get some feedback.