Renault 1929 RY1 Monasix

Thank you Ben

Without that operation there would have been no Dixie Flyer, Packard Single Six , a Singer Junior or two or this Renault and a whole lot of other little things. I still cannot believe that in a few months time I will turn 80. The main thing is that our Lagonda Rapier is two years older than I am and it is going better than ever.

I just wish that someone would buy the Renault so that I can move on to something else that I have some hope of finishing. We still hope to have one more visit to Europe with the Rapier in 2019.

Bernie j.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Please note the TIME DIFFERENCE between the USA and Eastern Australia.

9.00 AM  Wednesday In Melbourne Australia.

7.00 PM  Tuesday  in New York USA.

4.00 PM  Tuesday  in San Fran  USA

Don't miss out because your bid is TOO LATE.

Just as a matter of interest, I have added up what it has cost to put five new rims on the wheels and then fit five new tyres & tubes. Add to this the five new hubcaps and 24 wheel nuts and I am just about up to the Aust $5000 I am asking for the complete car. 

Bj.

Renault 1.JPG

At this stage I don't really care (any more than anyone else) if the Reanult is sold or not.

Having found a rather grotty (correct) Jaeger ignition switch complete with fuse I simply cannot help my self as the three attached photographs show. I am sorry I was so excited that I forgot to take the "before" photo. These switches in this condition must be on a par with "rocking-horse poo".

Jaeger Switch 1.JPG

Jaeger Switch 2.jpg

Jaeger Switch 3.JPG

No! I do not have the "key" but I can imagine what it must look like. If anyone actually has a Jaeger "key" I would love to see a photograph of it if only to confirm that my imagination is still in working condition. I believe that rather than working as in a lock, it simply has to hold the internal (spring loaded) contacts together.

Bernie,

I have no interest in purchasing your Renault personally. I think that your method of advertising it may be causing potential buyers to not take it seriously. Most buyers on that site are looking for a car offered at a particular price. Advertising that you are taking bids on a non-auction site does not offer the best potential for a successful sale. If you are at the point of talking about destroying the car, you might want to consider another alternative. I would encourage you to put the car and/or parts on ebay with a relatively modest opening bid price. Give it a week and see what happens. You may very well find that someone bids and brings you some return on your investment. It would certainly be a better alternative than scrapping it out.  

Although this site is rife with skilled, passionate hobbyists with wildly varied interests, I don't think it's a good forum for selling a car, least of all an unusual little French Renault located 6000 miles away from most of them. In the last 5 years, I have advertised nearly 100 cars on this site and to date, exactly one has sold to a forum member who saw it here. People will look, people will comment, and it will look like there's considerable interest, but there's really not--they're sight-seers and curiosity seekers. That's why this forum is great--you see all kinds of stuff you wouldn't ordinarily see even if you don't necessarily want to own it. I love the AACA, I love this forum, I love the guys who post here, but I've stopped listing cars here because it's just a waste of time in terms of time invested vs. successful sales. That makes me sad, but it's quite likely why your response rate is zero.

As Matt Hinson suggests, a bigger mass-market site like eBay or Hemmings would likely get your car sold for something close to your investment. The buyer for your car is probably a European, not an American, and they aren't looking here. However, they do look at eBay and Hemmings on a regular basis and will find the car there. They don't have as big a problem with a car located on another continent like Americans do (too much good stuff domestically, I guess), and they have a better understanding of the Renault's place in history. They probably also like that it's small and low-horsepower, whereas Americans typically want big bodies and big power and French cars in general have never really succeeded here.

Don't get discouraged, don't destroy anything, but please consider changing your marketing tactic. Nobody will respond to blackmail, nobody will buy it just because it's cheap, and you're simply targeting the wrong people. It's like telling the vegans that you'll burn down a McDonald's if they don't meet your demands. I suspect they probably wouldn't care.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you both for your advice and words of wisdom. I have had the car advertised widely not just on the AACA Forum but world wide with the possible exceptions of China, South America and Russia. This over a considerable period of time. Having said that, I think that you both underestimate the reach of the AACA Forum.

Unfortunately I do let my frustration boil over from time to time. I have already grossly overspent on the Renault project and I am reluctant to spend any more money on it. I simply made a wrong choice when I first bought the car. I now stand to loose about $20,000, not including about two years of my own efforts.  This in anyone's money is a significant loss!

Perhaps this may go some way in explaining my angst!

It may come as a surprise to you but not every old-car enthusiast is a multi-millionaire.

No surprise at all. I am a retired law enforcement officer. I run my own small business to supplement the retirement income. I still think you would be more likely to find a buyer on ebay. It really has a better chance of being sold there than any of the other sites where you have advertised it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your interest Dale

Nothing has changed, I have not touched the Renault for some time now. I have decided that for me to spend any more time or money on it would be a complete waste. I am currently prepared to GIVE it to anybody who will reimburse me for the cost of fitting the new rims and tyres etc to the wheels and the cost of the rebuilt Dyna-start. This amounts to just over Aust $6,000, showing me a nett loss of about $15,000.

So far there have been no takers. I am reluctant to just cut the thing up and give it to the scrap man but it may come to that. I just want it out of my life.

We have also been on a weeks holiday to Tasmania. The little island state just south of mainland Australia. 

Bj

Thank you Paul.

The Tasmanian holiday was very relaxing. I did not sit behind a steering wheel all week. However we did do a lot of walking. Miraculously we did see a brand new (Aston Martin) Lagonda 4 door saloon. One of just 200 set for production. How it got to Tasmania I cannot imagine except that there are one or two multi millionaires live there. Unfortunately we were in the back seat of a friends car going in the opposite direction. 

Right now I am removing several layers of very nasty blue (house) paint from the Renault head lights.

This had been applied by someone using a handfull of straw for a brush. Surprisingly there is just one small dent and a little surface rust underneath it all.

Bj.

I know that this is riduclous but while I cannot even GIVE the Renault away I feel compelled to keep working on it.  :- See above.  With the shells now stripped back to bare metal they are in excellent condition.

Headlamps. 1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie, I'm glad that this weight has been lifted off your shoulders. I'm sure it is bittersweet, but I know you are looking ahead as opposed to behind. I will be keeping up with your Lagonda thread on the British Car section.

Thank you all for your interest and specially your patience, it has been a rocky road at times. It may be not straight away but somehow if think I will be back. Hopefully it is not yet time to screw down the lid.

Bj

How many of you can remember 1955?

Morris 8 hp. Special077.jpg

• Like 1

No doubt many of you are wondering if and what will be my next project. A good friend has offered to sell me an mid 1920s Austin Seven chassis frame for a very reasonable $250. After giving this some thought I came up with the following. It is  long time since my last Austin so I am uncertain about current values. Looking at one or two car sales web sites and e-bay it seems as though restored Austins sell for on average between $15 and 20,000. 

My approximate costing of a very basic rebuild NOT including all the other parts required to build a rolling chassis works out to something between $20 and 25,0000 NOT including labour.

I seem to have been down that path before!

Bj.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Far more interesting than either a Morris or an Austin, another little French mademoislle may have just attracted my attention. She is in need of some cosmetic attention along with some major work on the engine. Built in 1923 she is a little older than the R......t but she has the advantage of still wearing her original body etc. Those horrible tail lights will have to go!

Much the same size as an Austin Seven  only French, what is she ???

img_0022.jpg

img_0024.jpg

img_0023.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry but no luck so far 

Here are a couple of clues.  It is a popular small (903cc) French sporting car.

The name is an amalgam of those of the two founders of the company. They continued to build cars up till the late 1930s. These included  a 2ohc six cylinder of just 1100 cc and a 2 Litre Straight 8.  But by far these little side valves firstly 903 and later 1100cc made up the bulk of their products. The body is built by South Australian coachbuilder TJ Richards and is a copy of the ones that French coachbuilders were making at the same time. Here are some photographs of the French version. IF you look closely you can (almost) read the name.

Bj

492_1446109126_thumb_amilcar.jpg

492_1446109151_thumb_amilar_c.jpg

492_1446109146_thumb_amilcar_b.jpg

492_1446109143_thumb_amilcar_a.jpg

Hello Stude17

You are absolutely correct right down to the type. The first CC did not have electric starting but had a reduction gear incorporated in with the crank handle. This one being 1923/4 has electric start. I think that it probably deserves a thread of its own rather than being tacked onto the end of the Renault. I am really looking forward to getting it home and making a start on it. After a long long time I finally have a proper Vintage Light Car again. Even better this one is complete and original. It has to be almost 40 years since I last owned an Amilcar it too was a CC.

Bj

Bernie, congratulations!   I was certainly hopeful that you would find another project car.  Nice that this one is still recognizable as a car and is complete.  Look forward to following along.  And I vote for a new thread.  Post lots of pictures when you get time.  And give us a history of the car as you know it.