Buick Roadmaster 1950 information

olovb

Hi Dave

I wonder if you can find out some information about my recent acquisition of Buick

It is a

Buick Roadmaster 1950

Do not know if it's original color

But it's all the same right now

gray with black roof

Model: 50-72

Style No: 50-4719

Body No: 2604

Trim No: 78

Paint No: 05-1

VIN: 35718574

Engine No: 59799687

would have been nice to find out some information about this cool car

regards

Stefan Ohlund

A model 72 is the long wheelbase Roadmaster 4-dr. sedan, sometimes called a Riviera sedan. It has a 130" wheelbase, whereas the other Roadmasters in 1950 have a 126" wheelbase. The extra length is in the floor between front and back seats, so beware of chrome strips and doors and door panels from other Roadmasters or Supers that are too short. Paint code #1 is black and I believe paint code #5 is gray, so it sounds like it at least has its original colors, if not the original paint. Engine size is 320 cubic inches, and it should have a three-piece exhaust manifold. VIN beginning with 3 is a Linden, New Jersey built car.

How about posting a photo of the car?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

1950 Roadmaster model 76-R (2-dr. hardtop)

...and other Buicks

Hello

It came with some new stuff and refurbished parts

The car has been in a heated garage since 2003 when the radiator broke

The cooler renovated with new cell pack

New tires with white side

new ceiling

new fabric for the door sides

gasket kit for engine

with already some painted engine covers

what I miss from what I can see,

1st Reverse light glass

2 reflectors to reverse light

cord behind the front backrest

rubber strips to vent windows front and rear

complete electrical system

so number one priority is electricity system

Regards

Stefan

post-102603-143142686995_thumb.jpg

post-102603-14314268693_thumb.jpg

post-102603-143142686953_thumb.jpg

post-102603-143142686974_thumb.jpg

riwire.com for the wiring harness that you need. That is where I get my wiring harness from (Rhode Island Wiring Service). You may not need the entire electrical system. They sell it in two sections: from dashboard to front of car; and from dashboard to rear of car. The rear portion does not get exposed to engine heat, so it tends to be in better condition.

Edited by Pete Phillips
additional info (see edit history)

50 = 1950 model year

72 = Buick model number = 4-door sedan (Riviera), 6-passenger

50 = 1950 model year

4719 = Fisher body style number

4 = Buick

7 = Series 70/Roadmaster

19 = 4-door sedan (Riviera), 6-passenger

Body No: XX 2604

XX = body plant code (you didn't list the body plant code, but it is probably BL for Linden, NJ)

2604 = 2604th 4719 built at plant (probably Linden)

Trim No: 78 = Grey Pattern Novelty Broadcloth with Plain Grey Broadcloth, available on models 71, 72, 75R, 76S

05 = solid Sunmist Grey

-1 = with optional Dante Red wheels

3 = built at Linden, NJ

5718574 = sequential number, range for Linden was 5,374,001 to 6,002,483

5979968 = sequential number, range for 1950 was 5,635,021 to 6,240,099

7 = Series 70/Roadmaster

Hello

What a fantastic service and help available on these kinds of forums coming in as brand new and get help almost at once.

regarding electricity system so should I just first heard the previous owner so he does not already purchased one but forgot to send to.

But until then there's someone here who has a good picture of an electrical system

regards

Stefan

50 = 1950 model year

72 = Buick model number = 4-door sedan (Riviera), 6-passenger

50 = 1950 model year

4719 = Fisher body style number

4 = Buick

7 = Series 70/Roadmaster

19 = 4-door sedan (Riviera), 6-passenger

Body No: XX 2604

XX = body plant code (you didn't list the body plant code, but it is probably BL for Linden, NJ)

2604 = 2604th 4719 built at plant (probably Linden)

Trim No: 78 = Grey Pattern Novelty Broadcloth with Plain Grey Broadcloth, available on models 71, 72, 75R, 76S

05 = solid Sunmist Grey

-1 = with optional Dante Red wheels

3 = built at Linden, NJ

5718574 = sequential number, range for Linden was 5,374,001 to 6,002,483

5979968 = sequential number, range for 1950 was 5,635,021 to 6,240,099

7 = Series 70/Roadmaster

Its a good idea to ask the seller if he already bought one. But chances are he did not, as they can be expensive. Pete said you do not need the whole electrical harness. He has a lot of experience , and can be trusted. Still, I'd like to hear his reasoning as it appears the wires are severely compromised. The picture you posted looks like the drivers side of the engine compartment and that set of wires appears to go into the interior of the car. In my opinion, if you have to open up the dashboard to replace some of the wires, as costly as it might be, you'd be best off replacing all the wires at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest detpar210

Need some help guys

1950 mod 50-72

style number 50 - 4719

paint code is 01 for black

body number

trim code is 50 for gray

top             acc           

Body by Fisher

Unfortunately thru my stupidity I bought a nice  1950 Buick Roadmaster with supposedly 42K on it wish I knew how to post photos would show it, however, the VIN plate & the body info plate is in the wind. I cant find the frame VIN yet also the car came out of Ark.

The engine number is 60502407

the VIN on my title is 45808892 as far as I can tell Kansas City Kanas? or Mo. what is the plants Letter code anyone go an idea or where may I look this up

I noticed one man on a site imported his from Switzerland and the body number started with a G followed by I think 4 numbers I have located a company that can repro the VIN since it was a simple tag however the big tag on the firewall I would like to get done as well 

Here is what I have learned so far about mine, wheel base is 131 1/4" has vented  rear windows no hydraulic lift for windows just old cranks the care is black with black & gray interior has a 320 straight 8 engine

As far as I have learned from a friend the car is a model 72 series 70 Probably on body number​ am out of luck wish I knew how many Roadmasters 72's were made or where I can get the stats on that years production or how that was assigned anyone that can help will be appreciated

Gary 

From the 1950 shop manual, page 0-3: The car's serial number is on a plate attached to the body on left front door hinge pillar and is also stamped on the left frame side rail near brake master cylinder. The first digit of serial number indicates where car was built: 1=Flint; 2=Southgate; 3=Linden; 4=Kansas City; 5=Wilmington; 6=Atlanta; 7=Framingham.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

...Here is what I have learned so far about mine, wheel base is 131 1/4"...As far as I have learned from a friend the car is a model 72 series...Probably on body number​ am out of luck wish I knew how many Roadmasters 72's were made or where I can get the stats on that years production...Gary

Your Car Serial Number and Engine Serial Number look correct for a 1950 Buick. However, the wheelbase you stated is incorrect for a 1950 Model 72.....it should be 130". You might want to re-check this dimension with a shorter measuring stick.

Buick literature says 54,212 Model 72's for 1950 were built. They do not give a breakout number for the Buick Model 72, Fisher Style 50-4719X, that has the hydraulic window lifts.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

There is something fragile about the wiring on 6-volt Buicks.  I would recommend getting a kit and redoing the whole car...  For the work it takes, I am not sure you have an easier job splicing and salvaging the old stuff.  To say nothing of peace of mind.  Fancy new paint and upholstery can be ruined quickly by an electrical fire.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest detpar210

Does anyone know how to find out what number my car was when it came off the line there is no plate on firewall or vin plate I did post vin from title & engine number or is this impossible to find out will Buick records go bk that far

1950 Buick Roadmaster 130 4d sedan

Thx

Gary Robinson

Guest detpar210

This may come thru twice sorry

Does anyone know how to find out what number my car was when it came off the line there is no plate on firewall or vin plate I did post vin from title & engine number or is this impossible to find out will Buick records go bk that far

1950 Buick Roadmaster 130 4d sedan

Thx

Gary Robinson

.....Does anyone know how to find out what number my car was when it came off the line.....or is this impossible to find out.....

With a known Car Serial Number, it's not impossible but highly improbable. 

You would have to locate two owners with a 1950 Buick Model 72 that were built at the same assembly plant as yours was.....one of the owners would have to have a lower close-to-your Car Serial Number and the other would have to have a higher close-to-your Car Serial Number. How close? It's anybody's guess.

To get an approximate idea, there are glass bugs, OEM starter and generator date codes, hidden factory papers stuffed in the seat cushions, etc. that you can decipher to get you close. Using a late-Dave Corbin's interpolating method and judging from the Engine and Car Serial Numbers you mention, you are probably looking at somewhere around a June-1950 production month.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
Guest detpar210

To Mr Pete Phillips & anyone else that can HELP ME !!!!!

Mr Phillips I wire brushed the frame near master cylinder & up the frame rail on top no numbers am I looking in the wrong place are the numbers on top or on the side or on the side plz N a dilemma I have put out some money on this car sadly disappointing so far as to results to ID it correctly have traced title back to Arkansas in May 2011 but still working have sent off a request to Ark DMV for history check my luck they want help due to privacy act going to call the assembly plant see how far back their records go back problem is I no better than not check for ID plates just my ignorance Love the old girl but if I cant get ID numbers is mainly a parts car along with what I bought have a title & registration had a good title out of Arkansas possibly SOL on my end LOL

also do u no how to repair the windshield wiper cable and pulleys the cable pulled out the manual does not give a good over view

thanks to u Mr Phillips

Gary