1936 Dodge oil filter cartridge

I have owned this Dodge D2 Coupe for 6 months and I have 2 questions

1. I would like to know if the oil filter shown in photos should be replaced annually when the oil is changed or is this type of filter cleaned and re used -and if cleaned -How ? If it should be replaced can you point me in the direction of a supplier in US as I am based in England . You can see on the cartridge the following stamped letters

W1X51080

071108G3

Made in USA

2. My Dodge D2 has a rumble seat but there appears to be no drain point behind the seat on the floor to drain the rain water . The water runs down channels either side of the lid opening and then collects on ther floor behind the rumble seat . What was the original design for this as mine seems to have been blocked up and I cant see any sign of blocked hole ?

Thanks

post-100096-143142661585_thumb.jpg

post-100096-143142661614_thumb.jpg

post-100096-143142661616_thumb.jpg

Those cartridge filters need to be changed every 5,000-6,000 miles or when you feel you should. They cannot be cleaned to the best of my knowledge. The brand is WIX ( no.51080) and may still be available from a Wix filter dealer or may cross over to Fram, Purolator or some other major filter mfg. Many of these cartridges have been recently obsoleted but still may be used on industrial equipment. Originally Mopars had a sealed can oil filter and you changed the entire unit. These cartridge units were added later, usually aftermarket for ease of changeability. I see that your car has the optional heavy duty air filter unit and oil fill cap. Nice option! I have no answer for the drain trough question though, sorry.

That's useful feedback - I have checked eBay (US) and there are sellers who still have this model cartridge WIX . As I don't do more than around 500 miles a year it seems that I keep using this filter for a few years UNLESS it is still recommenced to change every couple of years regardless of mileage ?

How much do you value the engine in your car? Better filtration and good oil with frequent changes = (much) longer life. Remember it is only a bypass so not that flash as a filter so needs all the help it can get.

I change my oil every 1000 miles in the Dodge 8. It has a bypass canister filter that is no longer available. I have a couple of spares and change it after about 3 or 4 oil changes. Sometime soon I will open a canister up and work out how to hide a modern bypass cartridge inside.

The Instruction Manual says to change the oil every 1500 miles!

When I spoke of 5,000-6,000 miles i was referring to some old maintenance data I had for the original vehicles. Naturally, you want to change oil more often because you probably don't drive the car long periods to get it hot enough to burn away condensation and resulting acids. In any case , I'm sure that you can find a replacement filter in the U.K. as most filter brand are international now and many of them may still cross to other usages depending on the types of equipment being used in different locations. If you have an industrial truck or equipment sales company near you check with them, they may be able to cross it over or find a suitable substitute as the filter does not have to be the exact O.D or length to work but it must fit the I.D flow tube dimensions so the oil will filter correctly. Some of these canisters have a wedge stop or small washer on the lower end to keep the element off of the floor of the canister. A slightly shorter element can be shimmed to fit. The old sealed can filter was still available several years ago but was slightly smaller in size but I understand that it too has gone the way of the DoDo , although you may be able to find a similar filter but they require a different mount ring and new lines. If you can find some filters, purchase as many as you can for future stock. Probably 4-6 would be a lifetime supply! It's just too bad it costs so much to ship overseas especially with extra taxes! If I can be of any further help with this or your '36 ( as I have a couple of four doors) please don't hesitate to PM me. I just did some work for a guy with a coupe, I'll ask him if he'll look to see how his rumble trough is drained. Jim

• 4 years later...