FOR SALE: 1970 Mustang convertible

*SOLD*

OK, the most important thing you need to know here is this car photographs VERY well. It's only the second car I've photographed in our new photo studio in the new showroom (I'm very excited), but none of these images has been doctored beyond adjusting the brightness and cropping them for size.

Why do I say all this? Well, as you can see by the price, this is not a show car. But before I start telling you what this car isn't, let me tell you what it is, first.

It is a super straight six-cylinder 1970 Mustang with just two owners from new. It has factory A/C, an automatic transmission, and a power top that practically leaps out of the top well when you hit the button. The current owners have treated it as part of their family since the mid-1970s and it has not seen rain since 1979, let alone anything else more threatening. The bodywork is quite straight and it has never been hit or wrecked, and despite some grunge underneath, it is extremely solid and tidy in all the important areas. It runs superbly, starting almost instantly, even after sitting for weeks, and it idles easily even when it's cold. There's good oil pressure, it feels smooth and torquey, and runs down the road with a tight feeling that only comes from a car that has been properly maintained. No power steering or brakes, but I don't find that they're necessary in this particular car. The chrome is quite good despite being 44 years old. I actually like driving it and it gets a lot of thumbs-up gestures on the road.

Now, what you need to know is that this car isn't as nice as it looks in photos. The paint is an older respray that is probably 30 years old by itself, done early on when the seller's father first purchased it. There's a bit of checking, lots of touch-ups all over the car, particularly on the rockers where it seems to have been sprayed from a can. The bodywork is straight, as I said, but the paint is probably a 4 or a 5 out of 10. There's a ton of history in this car, and while it doesn't show up in photos, a big part of it is the "JUST MARRIED" written on the trunk lid in shaving cream, which, of course, left its mark and can still be seen in the right light. They never tried to fix it because it was part of the car's history with their family, and I kind of like that aspect, but if you're not recently married, it probably won't matter to you. It had some AWFUL mudflaps screwed to the fenders, which I removed immediately, but there are still holes where they were screwed on. No big deal, and if this car were going to rust, THAT is where it would start. It is NOT rusty.

Inside, the white interior looks WAY better in photos than it is. The good news is that Mustang interiors are remarkably cheap and you can replace carpets and seat covers yourself in a weekend. The driver's seat has two splits on the lower cushion where I believe the center section was replaced many years ago. The rest is intact but a bit dirty-looking. I spent about four hours cleaning the seats and top, and it's about 70% better than it was, but it's not as sparkling white as it looks in photos. It's serviceable as-is, but this is one aspect that you could work on as you enjoy the car that would pay big dividends. The carpets are pretty worn and there's discoloration of the plastic around the top well and on the arm rests. The gauges are in good shape, albeit a bit faded, and the dash pad is quite good with no splits or tears. The original AM radio works, but the A/C does not, but all the components are there. The trunk has its original mat and an ancient bias-ply spare that could be original. There is zero rust under the mat--this is a VERY solid car. And as I said, the power top works superbly but like the seats, is a bit dingy-looking.

So this is an extremely straight 1970 Mustang convertible that isn't rusty and has never been wrecked. It runs and drives wonderfully, but needs a facelift. So don't go thinking that this is some kind of miracle car at $10,900, but rather a rolling project that can be upgraded without a full restoration because it'll never be worth enough to justify full disassembly. Instead, freshen it, drive it, have fun, all on a rather small budget.

It's still a bright red vintage Mustang convertible, after all!

post-31138-143142657189_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657193_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657197_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657201_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657205_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657208_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657212_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657215_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657219_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657222_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657225_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142657229_thumb.jpg