Car show in 1975

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

OK folks, this is a LONG shot. I remember going to an antique car show with my dad when I was a kid. It was held on the grounds of Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA in the Summer of 1975, give or take a year. There were probably 300-400 cars there of all makes and models. Some really old (pre teens, I imagine). From what I now know, this may well have been an AACA event. Does anyone know what this show was?

Hal ~~ That WAS an AACA Southeastern Division Meet. The cars were displayed on the grass on the shores of a lake. Bert Harrington was the Chief Judge. I was there with my then 15 year old son. If you really want serious details, let me know and I can check my judging records and other stuff to see what I can come up with. Unfortunately, the other adult [?] AACA member I drove down with is now deceased, so my source of first hand info is limited. I do remember buying a pair of '41 Cadillac fog light lenses in the flea market for $5,00. My son spotted them. He has been my flea market spotter ever since [25 years] ~~ Howard<P>SEE! Us old guys are good for something after all. smile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks Howard. I was probably 11 at the time. My dad took me up there. I sure did enjoy it. I've yet to see another car show of that magnitude. I'm sure Hershey would dwarf it several times over. I hope to see it one day. Maybe this show coming up in Charlotte will be comparable to the one I remember as a boy. I guess the thing I wondered about the most, was why it came that one time and not again (that I know of).

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Howard, If it were not for you old guys, us young guys would not have the hobby we have now. SalG smile.gif

Hal ~~ The reason that there has not been another Meet at that location is most likely that the Region that put on that one has not wanted to do it again. I'm sure that had they applied for another Meet there, it would have been granted. There is also a possibility that Callaway Gardens might have decided that they didn't want any more car shows at that location. I base that thought only on the fact that something like that has happened at other locations.<P>Charlotte should be a nice Meet, but the show site at the UNC Charlotte campus is no Callaway Gardens. Sites like that are hard to find. smile.gif HV

<BR>A good example of not having a meet somewhere again was the meet in 1976 at Jackson, WY. The National Park Service was a little leary about that one and I think that they do not want to deal with it again. Besides, there was some congress man or senitor that was up there and he did not get his way and put the kibosh on any more meets up there. It was a wounderful place to have a national meet.<BR>There was one judge that said "How do expect me to judge antique automobiles with those beautiful mountains right there?" Remember that Howard?<BR>Another meet was the one in Ft. Collins, Co. The region there has been told that they will not be alowed to use the facilities at CSU again for verious reasons.<P> Dan<BR>