Sign in to follow this  
Blayze

1977 Scout II Restoration

Didn't forget, just didn't have time. finally i have controllable idle. although low idle stalls (Fuel accelleration pump is partly depressed from the goose neck being too close to the carb) It revs fine, and loud! will have updates as it continues

Jut took my radiator to a local garage to have it pressure tested and they found an "un-fixable" leak (Yet they're still charging me $35). I guess I'm going to have to teach myself some soldering and take a crack at it.

Well if anyone has heard of PA winters then they should know what the hold-up has been. Here's the update:

Got a new aluminum radiator from ebay (the old one had a cap with twice the psi rating so the leaks were where the tanks meet the veins). Also got a new windshield and mounted the passenger side door so I can start welding the rear quarter. I also finally ran the brake lines. Lastly, tuned the carb and now she fires up more consistently with less backfiring and stalling.

Next is to bleed brakes, weld quarter, hook up trans shifter and linkage, and run fuel lines. Heres the photo (the blue around the frame is the original Lexington blue that I'm going to be painting it)

20180424_172805.jpg

Welded quarter and hung driver door. Windshield needs some minor adjustment to clear the wing windows though. Next is painting the inside of the quarter and welding the inner wall panel. Hopefully I can get that done while bleeding brakes and hanging the hood.

20180429_152348.jpg

I know it's been a while, but I've been hard at work. Electrical is buttoned up (made the harness from scratch), welding is done. Just getting ready for some bondo and hanging the hood and tailgate. All that'll be left is bleeding brakes, tires and paint. I'll have pictures soon.

Edited by Blayze
Grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So I'm pounding my head over electrical here. Books call for a 4A fuse for the gage cluster. Itll work for about a minute and then pop. Is there supposed to be a resistor or something before the fuse block? I dont want to up the fuse size and damage the gauges but an indication of what the engine is doing would be nice. I've got a wire from the column block to a 4A fuse. From there it splits to the alt/fuel and oil/temp gushes. Should both clusters be on separate fuses?

Must be a short somewhere in the system. May be one of the gauges or a bad wire? Trace it out with a meter and see if you can determine where the problem lies.

I'll be double checking all my wiring tomorrow, as well as getting ready for paint if the weather holds up. However, I completely forgot to share a picture of the finished seat. So here it is

20181029_134823.jpg

Brakes work and it moves under it's own power! My brother worked the pedals and wheel while I reached down in the tunnel and worked the transmission lever. Now I'm getting ready for primer and paint and then I'll be piecing the interior back together. I'll have pictures soon

Getting ready to clear coat today (hopefully) although, as a side note, if anyone has extra mirrors (double mount/ford style) I'd trade you some windows for them. Or just give me a price