1977 Scout II Restoration

15 minutes ago, Fleek said:

Great! Good thing you do not live close. My wife loves denim. She would be over every day looking at it.

I figured I would go with a material that was cheap, durable, and good looking. Denim fit the bill. Also, I am going to be doing the reAR seat soon. The upholstery is still in excellent condition if you (or anyone for that matter) would want it seeing as it'stands original.  It's blue and plaid. I'll post pictures. 

• 4 months later...

Hello! I know it's been a while and I regret not having been online to update the project but a lot has happened since my last post!
The project so far:
*Bought a battery
*Started constructing a wiring harness from scratch
*Ran Fuel lines
*Ran brake lines
*Painted and installed dash
*Filed and received replacement title
*Re-decided on exterior color (Going sky blue because the metallic blue wasn't looking as good as I had planned and my second option of orange would clash with the denim)
*Pulled out wiper motor to be rebuilt
*Cut out  bad rear quarter
*Bought new rear quarter
*Started re-assembling the front portion
*Removed and rebuilt distributor (Bad sensor)
*Had battery stolen
*Replaced distributor (Got In-Time Spark!!)

I am sorry for those who have followed and helped me with this project that I haven't been as adamant with the updates but I will try to get them going once again. Pictures will follow soon.

It still does not start however, because the distributor cap is cracked and not setting correctly on the the dizzy. My next move is to replace that, buy a new battery, replace the missing part on the carb (the arm that opens the air valve when the pedal is pressed down), and weld the new quarter on.

• 2 weeks later...

As of two days ago, I finally have ignition! That's right, I cranked the engine cursing at it as it would sputter and do nothing but after an hour of agony and frustration, it finally started. With a big smoke cloud from the tail pipes she fired up and went full open and screamed. I had to shit it off before I cracked the block from heating it up too fast. 

Next up is tuning the carb amd running brake lines and wiring.

20170726_183402.jpg

• 1 month later...

Once again I must apologize for the break in work. I had intended to use my '91 toyota celica as my daily while the Impala got much needed work. However, the toyota is having some troubles that are being worked out and getting back and fourth to work is just a little more important that restoring a truck. The scout was moved back to my house to be finished. I intend to finish the wiring, upholstery, and body work, and then take it to a garage to get a tune up, tires, and a windshield. I'll let you know when I get back under the hood. (of this project that is... god I hate computers and fuel injection)

• 5 months later...

Didn't forget, just didn't have time. finally i have controllable idle. although low idle stalls (Fuel accelleration pump is partly depressed from the goose neck being too close to the carb) It revs fine, and loud! will have updates as it continues

• 3 weeks later...

Jut took my radiator to a local garage to have it pressure tested and they found an "un-fixable" leak (Yet they're still charging me $35). I guess I'm going to have to teach myself some soldering and take a crack at it.

• 1 month later...

Well if anyone has heard of PA winters then they should know what the hold-up has been. Here's the update:

Got a new aluminum radiator from ebay (the old one had a cap with twice the psi rating so the leaks were where the tanks meet the veins). Also got a new windshield and mounted the passenger side door so I can start welding the rear quarter. I also finally ran the brake lines. Lastly, tuned the carb and now she fires up more consistently with less backfiring and stalling.

Next is to bleed brakes, weld quarter, hook up trans shifter and linkage, and run fuel lines. Heres the photo (the blue around the frame is the original Lexington blue that I'm going to be painting it)

20180424_172805.jpg

• Like 1

Welded quarter and hung driver door. Windshield needs some minor adjustment to clear the wing windows though. Next is painting the inside of the quarter and welding the inner wall panel. Hopefully I can get that done while bleeding brakes and hanging the hood.

20180429_152348.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I know it's been a while, but I've been hard at work. Electrical is buttoned up (made the harness from scratch), welding is done. Just getting ready for some bondo and hanging the hood and tailgate. All that'll be left is bleeding brakes, tires and paint. I'll have pictures soon.

Edited by Blayze
Grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So I'm pounding my head over electrical here. Books call for a 4A fuse for the gage cluster. Itll work for about a minute and then pop. Is there supposed to be a resistor or something before the fuse block? I dont want to up the fuse size and damage the gauges but an indication of what the engine is doing would be nice. I've got a wire from the column block to a 4A fuse. From there it splits to the alt/fuel and oil/temp gushes. Should both clusters be on separate fuses?

Brakes work and it moves under it's own power! My brother worked the pedals and wheel while I reached down in the tunnel and worked the transmission lever. Now I'm getting ready for primer and paint and then I'll be piecing the interior back together. I'll have pictures soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So paint is done... but now there's another problem. I was working on welding my seat risers back together, when I decided to hook up the shifter lever (I wanted to install that before the seats anyway). everything buttoned up just fine until I attempted to shift it into gear. The lever refused to move at first, but with just a little added pressure the linkage bent and broke. I've noticed that it is quite harder to put the trans in reverse than it is any other gear (moving the selector on the trans that is. engagement itself is fine). Could this be the new neutral safety switch being installed to tightly? should I try a washer or spacer of sorts?

As a side mention, when reverse is selected, my reverse lights turn on and then blink off in just a second. I suspected a melted wire or incorrect fuse was the culprit but now I have suspicions of the switch. All help is appreciated.

Well, my brother and I spent a couple hours getting the top from my grandfather's garage and bringing it back here. And my lovely lady helped with mounting it. Getting close. Also, the shifter is working clean and smooth now.

20181202_153455.jpg

20181201_135337.jpg

• Like 1

Just fixed the ammeter gauge and alternator wiring (I originally put a power wire from the battery to the fuse box not realizing it should pass through the ammeter and alternator first.) so now it's on to double checking my temp/press./fuel gauge fuse and wiring connections. After that is tires, bumpers, mirrors, and hopefully an inspection. Come spring I'll take the top back off to clean up and properly paint and upholster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since I last updated on here, but here's the news. The title was transferred, and then immediately sent out for corrections (it came in titled aa a trailer). Two weeks later, it was sent back out (still... titled as a trailer). Got it in corrected, this time, around beginning of January. Sent her out to have the glass put in the rear quarters of the top and swapped the lift gate for a good one. New tires and in a few days, mirrors.

• Like 1

Congratulations! You made a good looking rig out of a almost basket case. You should be very proud. Not many of the younger people seem to have the patience for such a project. I have enjoyed watching your progress.

Well at least she was able to play in the snow for a bit when I needed to. And the four-wheel works wonders through snow and slush. In some time shortly, I'll have to pull the carb off and clean it up properly (engine runs rich and tends to flood out when it's put into gear). After that is cleaning up the top and interior and she should be pretty good after that. Next project on the line is my late father's 1973 BMW model 2002. I'll be making a thread in the euro car section of the forum when I get started.

20190120_100633.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...