Reo Royale

alsancle

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to place bets when we see it in the preservation class at Pebble? 2018 is a good bet. To be fair, I looked it over quickly, and it was very nice. I couldn't tell if the paint was factory, as it was overcast and getting dark. Looked like a very nice car.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

It wasn't priced too high........you must be one of those "cheap" car collectors!?

It is nice to see a prewar car bring surprisingly strong money.   I figured Manny would have it for a year and then be forced to take my idea of market value.

Guest Henry Kandzerski

Actually this car surfaced in the 1970s "Again".   If you go to ebay and type 1933 Royale in the search bar in eBay Motors.   You will see the magazine about that particular car.  The man you see messing with the window shade is the owner in the 70s.   This is a 33 with cross over details from 32 which puts it in a class by itself.    I actually have that article and I know the son of the man who is in that picture.   She is 1933.

Guest Henry Kandzerski

This car is featured in Drive Report.....the folks from the magazine drove the car for evaluation.  They recorded the mileage before and after the drive and typed it in the magazine.   After this article the car went back up on Jack Stands until about a year ago.   By the way that IS original paint and the ownership and mileage is all documented from New.

Guest Henry Kandzerski

Also, since this car has resurfaced and resurrected a few times now, this may fall in the guidelines of the 3 maybe 4 Coupes that are accounted for.    ?????     And, how many are 1933 carry overs from 1932?   This is incredibly interesting!   

When I say "known" I mean known by the hard core Royale guys.  So it wasn't accounted for in their list.    Since it was in a magazine article in the 1970s it wasn't a complete secret for sure.

I have never heard of a 33 with 32 carry over features.  It might be that, or simply a left over 32 that was titled as a 33.

Guest Henry Kandzerski

It might be that, or simply a left over 32 that was titled as a 33.

Exactly

I believe this Statement is one in the same.  A not sold 32 titled into the 33 Model Year.  This Royale is known as a 1933 so, a Carry Over from 32.  For example on some of the obvious; double straight flat bumpers front and back with no center dip, non-raked grille, hood crest ornament 32, fender to fender light bar instead of light support stanchions on each fender separately, (1) center glove box rather then the smaller side boxes and the instrument cluster is 32 not 33.

I really never seen a 33 Coupe with the slant grille and other features mentioned above.  But, I guess that does not prove anything.  The coupes are just far and few in between however, an interesting topic.

• 1 month later...

Is that a stretched chassis?  It seems so much longer than I recall seeing.

Wow, I like the shapes of the side glass openings...and the trim at the top covering and it's location. 

Reo was going to do a catalog custom line but only built 3 cars on the 148 inch wheelbase (standard was 135),  a sport sedan (pictured), a convertible Victoria (which we think was actually 135 inches) and and a convertible sedan (which *may* still exist although there are no pictures of it ever).

Dietrich built 4 bodies of what they called their "Newport" sedan.  3 went on Packard 845 chassis and one on the 148 inch Royale "custom" chassis.  Besides the elongated wheelbase, the hood has been extend 4 inches over the stock 135 wheel base cars.  So the whole package does seem longer because it is.

That photo looks earlier than 1974........more like 64 from this signs in the background.

Just noticed it has blackwalls.... That is what I said on another thread about something that will subconsciously steal your eye, which prevents seeing the whole thing, as your eye or brain can't wander aimlessly to all the subtle details.

ok, I'll shut up now :) 

Frank,  if it had whitewalls your eyes would have gone to the wheels.  Notice dark on the bottom and top and light in the middle.  Works pretty well.

The picture is 1974 in downtown Lansing at a Reo meet.  Although I agree with the background, if I said 1954 I doubt anybody would notice.

This is 1967 at Hershey.

ReoRoyaleHershey1967.jpg

Max Hamilton, the gentleman from WV who owned it for 30s years and is pictured in the previous picture sold it to Alden "Peach" Thomas who was the son of the Chief Engineer at Reo from its inception until around 1933.  He personally saw the car being built and it was quite a dream for him to get the car back.  Max practically gave it to him.  Peach had a superficial restoration done back to what is close to the original colors.   Frank,  where do your eyes go in this picture?

ReoRoyale-Dietrich-1980s..jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

I like the white walls.........I recommend keeping them. ?

I tend to be a whitewall fan too (especially double whitewalls) - they are a statement of "keeping up with the Jones', my dog is better than your dog, and .... - ie. they were invented for a reason !  That being said, cars with Chrome Wire Wheels generally look good with blackwalls, as do European cars.