Sign in to follow this  
alsancle

Reo Royale

What are you doing with the tan belt molding on the body?

Still in Florida? I'm leaving the gold alone. We haven't found any of the trim color anywhere (the fenders were red under the gold) so in the interests of not going completely bankrupt I'm going to stock with the moldings as is.

Is it just me or the entire forum been slow this fall? Ed, Dave, Jason, West, etc, where are you guys??? Don't tell me facebook!

No. Not on Facebook... yet. I'm still here, but mainly just viewing. Wind is out of my sails right now. Excited to see the progress on your Reo. Any luck with tires yet?

I haven't been posting either so I shouldn't complain, but there has been very little to view unless you are into Buick.

The tires turned into a complete fiasco. I ordered a single 700x18 Bedford Blackwall to see how it would look. The shop called me and told me I ordered the wrong tire. Come to find out that I have 17 inch wheels when the rest of the world is running 18 inch. One of my Royale buddies came up with a set of 6 wheels but I need snap rings. Actually scrounged 4 at Hershey but in the process have been communicating with Coker about their new snap rings. Also, Coker is re-manufacturing the outside rim. Wheels will arrive this week, one is going to Coker to see if their rings will work with my wheels. We will mount my single tire on one of the wheels to see how it looks, potentially use it to fabricate the side covers.

I'm thinking chrome snap ring and painted wheels. Maybe a darker shade of the body color. Thoughts?

Not so long ago I drove a right hand fully restored Reo Royale Victoria closed two door 8-35 model located in New Zealand

Victoria or Sedan? Did you take any pictures??

FB is a different format than a forum like this one. It is user centric instead of topic centric. I just don't think it is a good way to talk about cars. Here are some more pictures.

post-31305-143142849277_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143142849286_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143142849296_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143142849313_thumb.jpg

post-31305-14314284932_thumb.jpg

I think I mentioned this somewhere else but there were 2 Reo Royales in Bill's Junk Yard down in RI back in the 50s,60s & 70s. Any time we were there my dad would pull some other part off of it and tell me it was Model J Duesenberg. I'd ask him what the car was and he' tell me it was some kind of Reo.

Does your dad still have any of those parts?

Fortunately he did still have some of the parts and now I have them!

Brakes are almost done:

1. Guts of the Master cylinder are now NOS

2. New brake lines

3. New brake hoses

4. Rebuilt wheel cylinders.

5. New shoes

6. Drums turned.

post-31305-143142854577_thumb.jpg

The Reo Light switch has to be one of the more expansive switches out there. I believe it is the same as the Duesenberg switch.

Just an aside about the light switch....

It will fit the following cars:

1929 Reo C

1929-30 Reo Mate 15

1930 Reo 20-25

1931 Reo 25

1930-31 N 30, 31

1931 N 35

1932 8-31, 35, 53

1933-34 Reo Royale 8 N-2

I think that if you just run body color minus metallic that it will look odd. People will look at it and wonder if they're supposed to match or not. There definitely needs to be some contrast or else an exact match. Pretty close only looks like someone made a mistake mixing paint. That's just my opinion but I'd go for something much darker or much lighter so that the contrast is more noticeable. The wheels alone in the photos above look great, but how do they look against the rest of the car?

The wheels alone in the photos above look great, but how do they look against the rest of the car?

^ What he said. The wheels look much darker in the photo than the body color, so it's hard to say. Take a photo next to the car. For us, it will probably still be hard to give an opinion. I think it's something you have to see in person.

My friend Steve Pughs sent these photos to me. These are his comments:

There were 4 Reo Royales on a farm in Fresno in 1970. There were two coupes and two sedans. They were eventually sold and I don't know where they ended up. I bought some Franklin parts some years ago and there was a letter in with the parts that talked about a Franklin ( the one the parts came from) and also mentioned that the Reos were for sale. There were a few snap shots of the Franklin and these two of one of the Reo Royal coupes. The back of one of the photos say "This is the worst one".

post-31305-143142899446_thumb.jpg

Here is a 8-31 for sale in the U.S.A.: http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?option=com_caradvert&view=ad&section_id=1&id=173591&Itemid=432

928-208-5642

$23,500

Straight body. Runs and drives. Partially restored. Gas tank and radiator have been redone. Engine has been completely flushed out. Luggage rack and headlights have been re-chromed. Missing the chassis lubrication system.

post-31305-143142913967_thumb.jpg

post-31305-14314291397_thumb.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Back in the 1970s there used to be a pre 1942 car meet run by the Fairfield County Region HCCA in Ridgefield ,Ct. every September. It saw a huge turnout of all sorts of odd ball cars, and Peter Helck often drove down from his home in his Old 16 Locomobile racer. . (this eventually evolved into a HCCA/AACA region and moved around a bit, last I heard was a 1958 and earlier meet in Redding, Ct) One car that I was so impressed with was a Reo Royale 3 window coupe, all black with plated wheels. A stunning car, I have not seen since that time. I believe the car was owned by a gentleman of Italian decent, can't recall his name, but he resided in Ct. The Reo Royale is one of the most beautiful cars ever made, someplace I have a separate sales folder that Reo issued on the long wheelbase sedan.