Sign in to follow this  
alsancle

Reo Royale

So the two shade purple and silver car are actually the same one. That eliminates one convertible coupe from the survivor list. There are probably a couple more cars that have been painted so they get counted twice.

The 8-31 cars seem even more rare than the 8-35. This is a Victoria which was recently bought a forum member. Maybe he can post a few more pictures soon since he just got it home :)

It is a nice shot of how big the engine is.

post-31305-143142618072_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of a Reo Royale 3 window coupe. It looks like it's one with the longer hood. This photo was taken in front of a home in Silver Lake, OH which is just a couple miles Northeast of Akron, Ohio. The home still exists as I've driven past it. While Akron was home to Goodyear & Firestone, there were also numerous smaller tire manufactures in the area as well. The tires on this Reo were made by Falls Rubber Company of Cuyahoga Falls, OH. Cuyahoga Falls is the suburb in between Akron and Silver Lake. The tires were called Falls Roadmasters. Another interesting accessory on this car is the oval driving light.

100_3042_zps8c2439e0.jpg

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

The REO Royale pictured on the right, was found in Chicago about 2 years ago. Some mechanical work has been done but it still needs more. It ran and drove for the first time last week after 50+ years of sitting. It will be making its debut at the REO National meet car show in Lansing Michigan on Thursday. The plan is to leave it in original condition.

The REO Royale pictured on the right, was found in Chicago about 2 years ago. Some mechanical work has been done but it still needs more. It ran and drove for the first time last week after 50+ years of sitting. It will be making its debut at the REO National meet car show in Lansing Michigan on Thursday. The plan is to leave it in original condition.

Is this the one?

post-31305-143142620849_thumb.png

In regards to the painted wheels and stainless (or chrome) spokes...

It seems that there are several cars that have had this beautiful treatment done. I find it very interesting, though, that on the restored cars, everyone has chromed the lock rings. The factory photos (and the photo of the original car from Chicago), show that the spokes only were plated. The lock rings were painted the same as the wheel (even on the cars with all painted spokes and wheels).

The chrome lock rings have a better chance of going on without getting destroyed, at least that would be my theory. I saw a Duesenberg done with this treatment that I really liked, however it was converted to all chrome before it hit the show circuit.

Yes that is the one. Having trouble with the carb. Car starves for fuel but dumps gas out of the carb. Not sure where to look for help.

Yes that is the one. Having trouble with the carb. Car starves for fuel but dumps gas out of the carb. Not sure where to look for help.

There is a forum for royale owners withs some guys that are experts. You should join. Did you buy a kit for it? Here is a thread discussing the carbs:

http://reoroyale.freeforums.net/thread/18/carb-kit-jon-hargrove?page=1&scrollTo=180

There was a Royale here in NZ some years ago - it is probably the years since I have seen it. I think it was a coupe. It was blue and had right hand drive. I heard a rumour it had gone to the US but can't be certain on that. Whether or not it was the smaller 8-31 I don't know. If it was in the US the right hand drive would make it stand out. There also a big black sedan I saw on a trip to the north about 40 years ago which I presume still survives. I guess both of these cars were supplied new to NZ.

If it came to the U.S. it may have been converted to LHD. There are only 3 known coupes and I do not believe any of those came from NZ but perhaps it is is hiding somewhere?

There was a Royale here in NZ some years ago - it is probably the years since I have seen it. I think it was a coupe. It was blue and had right hand drive. I heard a rumour it had gone to the US but can't be certain on that. Whether or not it was the smaller 8-31 I don't know. If it was in the US the right hand drive would make it stand out. There also a big black sedan I saw on a trip to the north about 40 years ago which I presume still survives. I guess both of these cars were supplied new to NZ.

I have known of two surviving Reo Royales here. There was a sedan in the Auckland area in the late 1960s and it is now stored in the Southwards museum awaiting restoration building.

Also there was a Victoria coupe in the Christchurch area that I last heard of in the 1990s. It may still be there.Both of these are right hand drive .As with any car there are usually more surviving than are generally known so it would not surprise me if there are others. Reo sold well here back in the day.