Reo Royale

alsancle

• 1 month later...

Bill sent out this email today to the Royale owners and I got his permission to post it here.

Hey All,

Just a quick note to inform you that the “green car” is basically finished now and has been for sale the past 4 months on various websites for $124,999.  I have had a few interested parties, but no offers.

My brothers and I are anxious to get it to a new home, so we have just drastically reduced the price to $105,000. This is a great deal on a super rare and verified American classic.

I am attaching a description and four recent photos.  It is a beauty!!

Please call or respond if you’d like more details… or pass the word to another collector!!

Best regards, Bill Barker

208-201-5175

IMG_2627.PNG

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Gosh, what a beautiful car.  I think that top is going to affect sales price, that really detracts from the rest of the car.

Bill lives in the middle of nowhere.  Google Driggs Idaho.   It was a 4 hour drive from the nearest large airport  (SLC) when I visited him.  He had a local guy give him a VERY good price to do the top and I suggested he do it because it would make the car look complete.    I don't want to knock a guy that gave him a great price and turned it around quick,  but I agree that is not done to Pebble standards.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Perfect convertible tops while nice are highly overrated.   I admire him for getting the car to this condition.   Top does not bother me - After I would put the top down for a summer it will come back up looking just like this anyway - just needs a 100 point top boot.  Cars like this are great as you can use them as is and then tinker with them in your free time (and nobody in the neighborhood raises a "condition" eyebrow when they are in the garage). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Perfect convertible tops while nice are highly overrated.   I admire him for getting the car to this condition.   Top does not bother me - After I would put the top down for a summer it will come back up looking just like this anyway - just needs a 100 point top boot.  Cars like this are great as you can use them as is and then tinker with them in your free time (and nobody in the neighborhood raises a "condition" eyebrow when they are in the garage). 

I agree to a point, I put tops down on my convertibles and never think twice....that's what they're meant to do...it is a great car, and he's done a very nice job on it, what beautiful lines to those front fenders....availability of resources in one's area definitely affects what can be done,.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2020 at 7:48 PM, alsancle said:

Bill sent out this email today to the Royale owners and I got his permission to post it here.

Hey All,

Just a quick note to inform you that the “green car” is basically finished now and has been for sale the past 4 months on various websites for $124,999.  I have had a few interested parties, but no offers.

My brothers and I are anxious to get it to a new home, so we have just drastically reduced the price to $105,000. This is a great deal on a super rare and verified American classic.

I am attaching a description and four recent photos.  It is a beauty!!

Please call or respond if you’d like more details… or pass the word to another collector!!

Best regards, Bill Barker

208-201-5175

IMG_2627.PNG

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

105 thousand is cheap for a Royale Convertible coupe. I also agree the poor fitting top means nothing. Put it down and drive the car. 

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Not to mention 2 inches lower.

I was asking, because someone sent it to me, and asked the question...........I didn’t bother to compare it to AJ’s car at the time......I just posted it. After considerable comparison........it looks similar to me. 🤒

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Now it's

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The wheelbase is 15 inches longer,  the windshield is 2" lower,  the hood is 5 inches longer,  and those are the obvious differences.

no wonder it looks so chopped with all those modifications. That was a lot of labor back then just to stretch the nose.  "whatever the customer wants" it seems.  What a decade it was, eh? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, F&J said:

Now it's

no wonder it looks so chopped with all those modifications. That was a lot of labor back then just to stretch the nose.  "whatever the customer wants" it seems.  What a decade it was, eh? 

Frank,   the stretch is all in the body.   They had to stretch the chassis and the running boards,  but the body accommodates all the other changes.   The hood stretch is in the cowl,  so the steering wheel is up against the windshield since they didn't push anything back on the chassis.    Dietrich built 4 of these bodies,  3 went on Packard 845 and one on the Royale 848 . 

There are no shared pieces between the factory bodies and the custom.  Only thing that is the same is the dash insert and instruments.  The outer panel does look like it was factory and then cut up to fit in the Dietrich body.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here's AJs car in the 1971 movie Fools' Parade.   It Starred Jimmy Stewart and George Kennedy and was fimed entirely in Marshall County, WV.  The car makes a brief appearance  at the beginning of the movie being driven by the town banker.  There's no good side shot of the car shown, just a front shot & close up of the driver.   

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

AJ's Royale might just be the best-looking 4-door ever created. I didn't realize it was your Royale until recently; now I'm envious.

Also, this is now a Police Squad! thread.

SimilarUnfitAntbear-size_restricted.gif

AJ has good taste........when he listens to me...........Its a great car. And almost ready to come down to me to dial it in. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

AJ's Royale might just be the best-looking 4-door ever created. I didn't realize it was your Royale until recently; now I'm envious.

Also, this is now a Police Squad! thread.

SimilarUnfitAntbear-size_restricted.gif

I understood the risks of posting the police squad picture when I did it. 

You need to talk to my dad about the REO.  He is still shaking his head and I have to make sure he doesn't take sawzall to the roof.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Btw,   Bill's green convertible coupe was sold to a forum member.  Hopefully when he gets the car soon he can post some more pictures of it. 

The car out of Idaho?

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 12:20 AM, alsancle said:

The wheelbase is 15 inches longer,  the windshield is 2" lower,  the hood is 5 inches longer,  and those are the obvious differences.

ReoStandardAndCustomDifferences..jpg

Hi all... hope you're all doing well and Covid-free ... Ours is still looking for a new home .... would be a perfect original match to the bleu one :-)

2006 06 25 REO IMG_0176.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

"AJ.....your car? That’s Miss Universe 1932."

"The wheelbase is 15 inches longer,  the windshield is 2" lower,  the hood is 5 inches longer,  and those are the obvious differences."

Phoo! Other than that, they look the same. :)  Good grief! Cut him some slack.

9 hours ago, pmhowe said:

"AJ.....your car? That’s Miss Universe 1932."

"The wheelbase is 15 inches longer,  the windshield is 2" lower,  the hood is 5 inches longer,  and those are the obvious differences."

Phoo! Other than that, they look the same. :)  Good grief! Cut him some slack.

In retrospect you are right.  I don't think I was offended by the comparison but my post makes it look that way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

That’s an interesting body on that Reo, too bad about the landau bars.

I have no problem with Landau bars that are there for a reason.  On a Victoria,  they don't have to be exposed but they are functional.  I know there is a cabal of guys like  you that hate them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, vintagerodshop said:

Quick question for the Royale experts out there. I have a single mismatched hub cap on my Royale. The passenger side spare tire has a Cap with Reo Royale in block type letters on it. the other 5 caps do not? thoughts?

IMG_7561.JPG

Kirk,

this is what mine looks like.

A4CF4714-D9EB-4978-87D2-57292EEB78BF.png

• 8 months later...