Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alsancle

Reo Royale

270 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Henry Kandzerski said:

This 1933 Royale Coupe was sold at the Amelia Island Dragone Bros. Tent

They Sold Her

Holy Mackerel,  Manny is smarter than me.  I told him it was priced too high :).

It wasn't priced too high........you must be one of those "cheap" car collectors!😋

Anyone want to place bets when we see it in the preservation class at Pebble? 2018 is a good bet. To be fair, I looked it over quickly, and it was very nice. I couldn't tell if the paint was factory, as it was overcast and getting dark. Looked like a very nice car.

Henry,  it is not a 33, that had a sloped radiator.  It is a 31 or 32.   There are about 5 known now that this one surfaced.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

It wasn't priced too high........you must be one of those "cheap" car collectors!😋

It is nice to see a prewar car bring surprisingly strong money.   I figured Manny would have it for a year and then be forced to take my idea of market value.

Actually this car surfaced in the 1970s "Again".   If you go to ebay and type 1933 Royale in the search bar in eBay Motors.   You will see the magazine about that particular car.  The man you see messing with the window shade is the owner in the 70s.   This is a 33 with cross over details from 32 which puts it in a class by itself.    I actually have that article and I know the son of the man who is in that picture.   She is 1933.

This car is featured in Drive Report.....the folks from the magazine drove the car for evaluation.  They recorded the mileage before and after the drive and typed it in the magazine.   After this article the car went back up on Jack Stands until about a year ago.   By the way that IS original paint and the ownership and mileage is all documented from New.

The underside of this 1933 Royale and engine compartment looks just as good as the topside.

Thanks for the link to the article.  It is on its way  to me.   I guess Ed may be right and somebody got themselves a reasonably priced entry to the Pebble preservation class.

Also, since this car has resurfaced and resurrected a few times now, this may fall in the guidelines of the 3 maybe 4 Coupes that are accounted for.    ?????     And, how many are 1933 carry overs from 1932?   This is incredibly interesting!   

When I say "known" I mean known by the hard core Royale guys.  So it wasn't accounted for in their list.    Since it was in a magazine article in the 1970s it wasn't a complete secret for sure.

I have never heard of a 33 with 32 carry over features.  It might be that, or simply a left over 32 that was titled as a 33.

It might be that, or simply a left over 32 that was titled as a 33.

Exactly

I believe this Statement is one in the same.  A not sold 32 titled into the 33 Model Year.  This Royale is known as a 1933 so, a Carry Over from 32.  For example on some of the obvious; double straight flat bumpers front and back with no center dip, non-raked grille, hood crest ornament 32, fender to fender light bar instead of light support stanchions on each fender separately, (1) center glove box rather then the smaller side boxes and the instrument cluster is 32 not 33.

I really never seen a 33 Coupe with the slant grille and other features mentioned above.  But, I guess that does not prove anything.  The coupes are just far and few in between however, an interesting topic.

Would love to see some pictures of a present 33 8-35 with those features.  All that I have ever seen are a couple of period pictures.   Not sure how many 33 Royales still exist.

Talking to Shawn, the car comes with 2 engines and lots of extra parts.  He will be making a list of the parts shortly.