Question about HPOF.

Hi. My name is Philip Roitman and I am a new member. I have a few 1973 Century Gran Sports that I plan to show in class 36F. (Stage 1 SunCoupe and Stage 1 4speed when that is done) My question for HPOF is I recently purchased a of course 1973 century 350-2bbl bucket seat car. The car is all original down to the original rear brake shoes. 49500 miles. I put a 1000 miles on it in the last 2 months. The only thing non original is the crappy repaint in factory code 29 (Midnight Blue) someone did a few years ago. Will this car qualify for HPOF with a repaint? I understand the rules and am wondering if the repaint just takes away all original status or is enough of the car original will it still gain that status? I think she will get HPOF status but was wondering about the original status issue. Thanks in advance for responses. I have seen the judging sheet in another post and as I stated before the only non original item is the paint.

Seems like I answered my own question? In the AACA judging book the evaluation sheet said that the car listed was rejected for a full repaint. Oh well I will just bring the others. The SunCoupe is all original but, a Concours winner! 1000pt. judging at MCACN 2013. Lets see how she does in 36F

phillip roitman,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Yes, you answered your own question. I have a similar problem with my 1954 Buick Special. It is very original, but unfortunately it had a total repaint many years ago, so I just drive it and enjoy it.

... the car listed was rejected for a full repaint. Oh well...

Has this changed in the past few years?

My otherwise almost-totally-original 1947 Dodge was judged worthy of HPOF status at Hershey in 2010 despite a 1975 full repaint. By now, that repaint in the original colour looks pretty much old and original, but of course one can still tell and I also listed it in the exhibitor's comments prior to judging.

As I understand it, there has been a lot of back and forth on this issue over the years. For now, as I understand it, a total repaint prevents a car from being certified in HPOF.

Thanks for the responses and the welcome. I will drive the car put miles on it and enjoy it. Thank you Matthew. I look forward and am registering this week for my first AACA event, @ Hershey no less. Here is a picture of the car going into 36F

post-59558-143142589786_thumb.jpg

73 Century Gran Sport Stage 1 SunCoupe. 1 of 45 built-1 of 23 w electric roof operation. 1 of 4 SCO code 0 (color unknown) Original 73,000 miles, Sloan Museum documented.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

A total repaint will not disqualify you from receiving an HPOF award, but will be a deduction. The total number of deductions will determine if the car receives a HPOF award. This is a car that AACA would like to see evaluated for HPOF certification. Class Judging is your other option with a nice car like this. Once a car has own a First Junior award, it cannot move to HPOF or if is certified as HPOF it cannot move to class judging without going through the National AACA office to surrender the award. Either way, I look forward to seeing it at Hershey.

Dave Bowman

HPOF Judge

AACA

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Dave,

Thanks for this information. Personally, I have gotten conflicting information from HPOF Evaluation personnel on this issue over the past few years. I do have to admit that the form in the Judging Guidelines certainly makes it appear that a total repaint results in a rejection. I really hope we can get a better explanation of certification requirements in the Judging Guidelines in the future.

Matt,

I understand the confusion. There was a period of time that a total repaint did reject a car from receiving an HPOF certification. That changed in 2013. Points are deducted for the extent of the repaint and if there are no more deductions the car could receive HPOF certification. The rejection box for total repaint is not used as a judging criteria and hopefully will be removed in the next reprint of the form.

Matt,

I understand the confusion. There was a period of time that a total repaint did reject a car from receiving an HPOF certification. That changed in 2013. Points are deducted for the extent of the repaint and if there are no more deductions the car could receive HPOF certification. The rejection box for total repaint is not used as a judging criteria and hopefully will be removed in the next reprint of the form.

Thanks! That makes it even better. The yellow car I posted is not the car I am looking to put in HPOF while original it has had the engine compartment redone and the undercarriage gone thru. I want to try 36F with it and see what she does. (I am a masochist!) The car I am talking about is blue and is a base 350 2bbl bucket seat car that everyone tells me to use as a donor for 1 of my 73 4speeds. One of those will be ready for next year! (1 of 92 undergoing a frame off now, Was in Hemmings MM in 06) I am having too much fun driving the base car and not really having to worry too much about it, and it would be a shame to tear it up. Knowing I can put it in HPOF is a good incentive to leave it "as is" and seems to be the Main reason for the class. Thank you Mr Moskowitz DPC is indeed an option for the car!

I seem to be getting rejected by the downloader for the blue cars photos? :-) P.S. I have an addiction to 1973 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1's. I own 5-- 2 are 4speeds.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

Just an update. A complete paint job, if done and looks period correct would not automatically disqualify a HPOF candidate as stated above. However, if a modern, show quality paint was applied to a 1922 Younameitmobile it most likely would be disqualified according to the chairman of the class.

QUOTE=Steve Moskowitz;1315549]... A complete paint job, if done and looks period correct would not automatically disqualify a HPOF candidate...

Well, that seems to explain it in my case. My 1975 repaint looks as ratty as the rest of the car (first pic is HPOF row at Hershey 2010). Thanks for the clarification.

post-59237-143142602442_thumb.jpg[

post-59237-143142602433_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143142602438_thumb.jpg