1920 tail light lenses colors function

pepcak

Hi,

being from other side of big pond, I am not very familiar with tail light used in 1920s / 30s. My friend has a similar tail light that he wants to use on his ~1929 Essex Super Six. But we have no clue what is the function of individual color lenses. Is this lamp assembled in correct order, using white - green - red from left to right? Could you pleae advise the purpose and when individual lights come into action? Thanks, Josef

post-42602-143142494026_thumb.jpg

Could be white comes on when in reverse, red when stopping, and green for just when driving, kind of like a running light.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Guys,thanks for the responses. I think we can agree upon '"White"= reversing. Question remains open as what to do with "Green" - use it as a normal tail light (where we usually use red nowadays) and connect the "Red" lens as a brake / stop light? Using the "Green" for turn signal could be possible (actually it seems better idea than use it as a normal taillight as green is not used in nowadays traffic at all), but then we have no brake / stop light unless we add extra bulb under red lense.

I would still be interested what is the original purpose / setup of these (regardless of implications in nowadays traffic).

Hey Rusty;

Remember back then the laws weren't on the books yet for standardized lighting on vehicles. I've seen blue, green and yellow lights on older rear tail lights on vehicles. I believe Pierce also had the three light set up. I think later the lights were standardized until the later craze of blue dots in the lights.

My National Service Manual of wiring schematics for this period shows many cars with 3 bulbs at the rear.

Tail light

Stop light

Backing light ( yes that is what it was called)

There is no singular order of position and I believe this is because these are schematics drawn for ease of layout on the paper and not intended to show physical position on the car.

I think we can go with Durant28 on the colors:

red for stop

white for backing

green for tail

Just some of the 1929 cars with 3 rear bulbs:

Chrysler

Franklin

Lincoln

Marmon

Stearns-Knight

The stop and backing bulbs were listed at 21 candlepower with the tail at 3 CP.

Can we assume from this that the tail was the small lens ( green)?