Horch

alsancle

As a 20 year old looking for cars that were local to me, I came across a pair of Horch's. They were miles beyond any checkbook I had but they have always been something I have aspired to own. Looking forward to driving one some day. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

As a 20 year old looking for cars that were local to me, I came across a pair of Horch's. They were miles beyond any checkbook I had but they have always been something I have aspired to own. Looking forward to driving one some day. 

Ed,  the interior shot I just posted from the 1960s is one of those cars before it moved from Ohio.

• Like 1

For comparison here is a 500K Cab C door.   Front hinged vs rear hinged.  The Horch seems to have 4-6" of extra interior space.  You can push the bucks to a comfortable position for a 6' driver and still have room in the back seat for a passengers feet.   This is not true with the Mercedes.

DCP_0347.JPG

DCP_0370.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

This is just plain goofy looking. Like a caricature, or a comic-book image. 

UNGAPATCHKA!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Zactly...

Just because someone has money, it  doesn’t indicate good taste. Too many over the top cars have owners that think they have a “killer car” on the field, just to discover that almost all over the top cars have bad lines and angles. Less is more. Buck Rodgers styling on any pre war car never works…….like this mess………

A60EAF48-0C5F-4CE0-A47E-5EA85C837F76.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve, I need to go look it up, but I think the 500 K/540 K is 128 inches. And the horch is 134? I guess I should go look.

Google is telling me 129.5 for the Mercedes and 136 for the Horch.  Those feel about right.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Google is telling me 129.5 for the Mercedes and 136 for the Horch.  Those feel about right.

Must be true, it’s on the internet. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think they are about right.   Lucky me has access to one of each later this week and I will try to measure both.

Measure twice, cut once! 😎

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Just because someone has money, it  doesn’t indicate good taste. Too many over the top cars have owners that think they have a “killer car” on the field, just to discover that almost all over the top cars have bad lines and angles. Less is more. Buck Rodgers styling on any pre war car never works…….like this mess………

A60EAF48-0C5F-4CE0-A47E-5EA85C837F76.png

So true!  Has anyone figured out which DC Comics artist designed the Phantom Corsair?  Heinz should have stuck to condiments!  Bohmann & Schwartz would build whatever over-the-top silly design was presented to them...as long as it paid the bills.

54 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

So true!  Has anyone figured out which DC Comics artist designed the Phantom Corsair?  Heinz should have stuck to condiments!  Bohmann & Schwartz would build whatever over-the-top silly design was presented to them...as long as it paid the bills.

Bohmann & Schwartz= Bad & Shixxy for 2/3's of the stuff they did. Certainly did more damage than improvements overall. 

• Haha 2

Ok, I’ll be nice. Buy me a V-12 Horch and we can call it even. Better yet, opine on the V-12’s. And post a few photos.

• Haha 1

I remember that car well. Noel had it at a Grand Classic I attended. Haven’t seen it in thirty years. Cool car. AJ, you should put that one on your shopping list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I remember that car well. Noel had it at a Grand Classic I attended. Haven’t seen it in thirty years. Cool car. AJ, you should put that one on your shopping list.

Eddy,  I believe the asking price was something like 2.5 million.

• Like 1

Using a tape measure:

540 K has a wheel base of 129 inches, and a hood length of 72 inches from tip of radiator to edge of windshield.

The Horch has a wheelbase of 137 inches and a hood length of 67 down the center. But the Horch is a V windshield so the sides of the hood on the Horch are longer at 73 inches from outside edge of radiator shell to corner of windshield .

BTW,  I know from past experience that a 500k and a 540k are dimensionally similar if not identical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AJ, you always wanted to own a Horch……….buy this one, and you can join the Shriners “Clown Car Club”. Car is ready to go as is………

AD779DB8-57BD-4280-B976-C5B8FF18871D.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Question………

Is there a Horch car club?

Is there a good book on them?

Does anybody actually drive one in the states?

Is there a Survivor list?

Maybe we need to get a concours to have a Horch class.

• Thanks 1